What does NG Means??

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
NoBody191

What does NG Means??

Post by NoBody191 »

Is it New Game? or maybe something?? also nice, we have a brand new forum
Random Kiddo who loves diving the internet

penyelam handal.
ilan

Re: What does NG Means??

Post by ilan »

Hi 191,

NG means the next generation, this would be a new program having the best of Vehicle Simulator and only dedicated for boats and ships, it has much better graphics, new instruments, new sea, definable keys, accurate time and stellar bodies and more.

I am still working on it, I hope in a few months i will be able to share this beta with registered users and continue to develop with your help.

Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (195.86 KiB) Viewed 119916 times
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (194.51 KiB) Viewed 119916 times
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (203.61 KiB) Viewed 119916 times
ilan

Post by ilan »

Some more
Image16.jpg
Image16.jpg (141.84 KiB) Viewed 119916 times
Image7.jpg
Image7.jpg (143.04 KiB) Viewed 119916 times
Image5.jpg
Image5.jpg (138.13 KiB) Viewed 119916 times
Victor

Post by Victor »

The graphics look good.
I am more interested in ship handling and navigation. I am also an advocate of multi user play. The possibility of multi user on one vessel carrying out different tasks would be of interest i.e one on the wheel a different on on the engines and one navigating.
I would be interested in checking out these in the beta and subsequent release.

All the best with the development. I look forward to the beta.

Victor
TheLonesomeSkipper

Post by TheLonesomeSkipper »

Whoa, that's some nice features right there Ilan! I will most definitely support your work and buy Virtual Sailor NG when it comes out! :D
Kind Regards,

TheLonesomeSkipper, AKA prev. "saken"

"I sail the seas of the world... alone and proud."
NoBody191

Post by NoBody191 »

Woow, these graphics and feautures are great :D , even if its combined with VSF, also did planes will still fly on VS (Like the Albatross by Red Oktober)

penyelam handal.
pbhtankerman

Post by pbhtankerman »

Hi Illan

This is great news, thank you!

From your posted pictures I noticed a great improvement in the overall sea state and bow wash. For larger ships, the bow wash extends in front of and around the bow and along the sides of the ship to produce a long track of disturbed water behind the ship including the disturbance produced by the propeller. This would produce a huge improvement in realism in the sim.

The sea state (wave, wind effects, etc) from your picture looks much more random and realistic.

You have my 100% support for the new version when it's ready.

Peter
Northfeeder

Post by Northfeeder »

I second that, good news.
Looking forward to support this new sim
Nikosnaxos

Post by Nikosnaxos »

Nice to see these wonderful news!! Of course Vehicle simulator must go to the next level. Try to work on most realistic behavior of the ship,how the wakes wind etc can affect the ship.
Waves in the Port or in Gulf must not be as it is in the open sea.
Wakes of the ship must be more realistic like the bow splash on the picture.
Can't wait for this new project!
silja

Post by silja »

Hello Ilan !

Nice to see the official announcement of this new generation game :)

Looking forward.

Like I said to you ; the most important is behaviour.

So I hope to see on this new simulation this kind of features :

- each rudder can be used sepparetly
- bow and stern thruster can have his own power (HP or kW)
- have the possibilities to have a lot of animations like anim.x anim1.x anim2.x etc...
- consider the shape of the ship for the wind => big ship, high wind consideration
- consider the flow of the propeller for rudder
- have pitch propeller or fixed propeller
- when docking, have a good behaviour when touching the dock. Like real ship or ship simulator.
- Real weather
- have 3D sounds, I mean, when we are close to the funnel, the sound is more loud. etc...
- have more possibilities for config the ship behaviour. (each ship is different)
- have wakes on bow and stern thruster
- have wakes when propeller turning despite the ship is on slow speed.

This is the most importants things in my eyes for a good simulation game.

Thanks for all Ilan !

And continue your good work :)

Best regards,

Dany/DCsilja
madnewf

Post by madnewf »

Awesome cant wait...
hjsmuc

Post by hjsmuc »

Fantastic news. Thank you Ilan for your efforts.

I'd be excited to help with beta testing.

Looking forward to the development news.

Hans
Felipius

Post by Felipius »

Grat news!!
A couple of question: will VSNG compatible with Oculus Rift? And will VSF boats compatible with it?
Thanks
Sailorjohn

Post by Sailorjohn »

I'd like to input some suggestions for the new NG VS:

1. SPEED: Create two distinct speed patterns, Displacement (by default) and Planing.
Displacement vessels are limited by hull speed, the point at which distance between moving wave crests equals waterline length of the vessel. Beyond this speed, quarter wave moves aft of the stern, causing stern to begin 'squatting', and vessel is trying to climb uphill. Hull speed (knots) is defined as 1.34 times square root of waterline length (feet). Initial resistance is relatively low up to approximately 1.0 times square root WL, where resistance begins to rise exponentially. I commanded a ship which clearly illustrates this phenomenon. The ship was 205' overall, perhaps 190' WL, 1800 tons, powered by 4 GM V16 900HP locomotive diesels each driving a DC generator, connected to 4 DC motors turning one huge bull gear on the single shaft. With only one engine online full ahead, 900HP, max speed 10 kts. Two engines ahead full, 1800HP, max 13.5 kts. Three engines, 2700HP, max 15.5kts. All four, 3600HP, max 16.2 kts. Plotting this curve, you can see why adding more power would provide very little additional speed. We couldn't even reach hull speed. Even small vessels have a tough time exceeding hull speed by any significant amount, unless they can plane.

Planing begins to occur around 2 times square root WL, and is considered fully on plane around 2.5 times sq rt WL. But it takes a lot of power to get up out of the 'hole' and get on plane. As a general rule, it takes about 7 times more power to get an average boat fully on plane, than it takes to reach hull speed. The resistance curve is very steep from 1.34 to 2, where it begins to recurve...and rises more gently beyond 2.5 sq rt WL. I suggest a 'P' factor in cfg to tell VS that vessel can plane if there's enough power to get past 2.0. Without the P, limit speeds to about 1.5 or so...unless surfing down big waves.

2. SAILS: Permit individual sail control. Maintain proper proportions of mainsails when reefing/furling, so that foot of sail shrinks at same rate as leech and luff. Square sails reef/furl upwards to their respective yards, not down like venetian blinds, and they retain width (X axis) while shrinking height (Y axis). If too many sails to permit individual controls for all, link corresponding sails on each mast to reef/furl together...ie fore royal, main royal, mizzen royal together. Sheets and running gear for sails when set, similar to mooring lines.

3. INSTRUMENTS: Improved realism for instruments, such as those in Naval Mission Simulator alfa/beta. Radar with blips, sea return, rough landmass contours, adjustment knobs. Option to hide ID/CPA of vessel blips on radar, map/chart, GPS...a "Realistic" mode. Make it possible to navigate using visual bearings, radar ranges, GPS, etc. Celestial navigation with accurate skychart and sextant.

4. 3D VISUALS: Show vessel displacement as in Fire Flight, bow wave, quarter wave, V-shaped wakes behind boats.

5. AUDIO/VISUAL: Coordinated splash visual/noise on wave impact based on wave size, vessel speed/size.

6. STEERING: Adjustable wheel turn/rudder angle ratio. Helms generally make many revolutions for full rudder swing. On our present boat, it's almost 4 full revolutions of helm for 1 full rudder swing.

7. SMOKE: Allow more gradual fade of smokes, plumes, fires, etc...and show wind/gust effects.

8. EXTERNAL SOUNDS: Drastically reduce or eliminate external sounds like machinery and wave noises from other vessels (except for gunfire). You really can't hear sounds from other vessels more than a few meters away...except maybe noisy outboard motors.

9. ANIMALS: Improved randomness of animal movements, not just moving in circles around you.

10. DAMAGE: Improved response to damage, maintaining inertia. It takes a long time for most vessels to sink. And a fast moving ship continues to move even after massive damage...even if propulsion is completely lost it will coast gradually to a stop. Vessels should react to damage based upon where it is hit, with appropriate list and trim changes. Warships should suffer gradual degradation of power and armaments when hit and damaged.
Victor

Post by Victor »

This a very extensive list and long awaited improvements towards realism. As you say some of these have already been implemented in Ilan's other works. I'll wait to see what is included in the beta before adding my ten cents worth.

Victor
Conwayfan98

Post by Conwayfan98 »

I am so exited for this. Vehicle Simulator crashes on me all the time due to "VSF.exe blocked access to graphics hardware" although, I haven't tested it in the latest update. I have not been able to play it long enough to get use to the many options and controls. I'm still a Virtual Sailor buff.
yitianetie

Post by yitianetie »

Hi Ilan,

Glad to see you are come back on your project. You have my support for your release !

Cheers,
Etienne
polaris

Post by polaris »

ilan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:12 am NG means the next generation, this would be a new program having the best of Vehicle Simulator and only dedicated for boats and ships, it has much better graphics, new instruments, new sea, definable keys, accurate time and stellar bodies and more.
Hope it will retain also the flexibility of old VS, like p*.def files to populate scenery, commands to include animals, and so on. Overall, I think it should be compatible with the old VS, for which great addons have been created in the past.

For me, the old VS remains the best underwater sim. :)
i_i_andrew_i_i

Post by i_i_andrew_i_i »

Hi Ilan,

I create Russian river ships and maps for Vehicle Simulator, so I'm looking forward to the new program. I wish you success in your development! all the best!

Andrey
Attachments
226228608_5423431.png.c859b82e35c5f4b3eaedf2bb262d925a.png
226228608_5423431.png.c859b82e35c5f4b3eaedf2bb262d925a.png (146.95 KiB) Viewed 114626 times
NoBody191

Post by NoBody191 »

Wow Nice! Looking good

penyelam handal.
Victor

Post by Victor »

@andrei,

The ship and scenery look very good . Are they available for download ?

many thanks for creating them.

Victor
i_i_andrew_i_i

Post by i_i_andrew_i_i »

@Victor

Yes it is available. I will leave a link to the site where you can download mods. Some of them are paid
https://keel-mods.ru/

Andrey
Sailorjohn

Post by Sailorjohn »

Andrey, thanks for that link to the download page. There are some great models and sceneries there. I just downloaded the River_Oka scenery, but alas, have not been able to make it work in VSF. I suspect it's an issue of alphabet recognition. Do you know if folks outside Russia have been able to run it in VSF? And if so, what mods they made to make it work?
Victor

Post by Victor »

Andrey,

Thanks for the link. It is all in Russian and I could not read any of it. I did see a language button at the bottom of the page and selected English but nothing changed.

SJ,

Perhaps when you get it to work you could keep me in the picture.

Thanks

Victor
Pascal

Post by Pascal »

Hello Everybody,

Andrey : thanks for the link, that's a (big) nice scenery.. :)

Sailor John and Victor : yes, I think there are some alphabet changes to do, assuming you have the River_Oka folder in your "scenery" one..

1- you must edit the first line in the ypa.hdr file (I used Notepad to do that ) instead of file_title = óðà , type : file_title = ypa

2 - you must have at least one situation to go to the right place and with the good sea level , I suggest you copy the first one in your "situations" folder :
Елатьма.jpg and Елатьма.txt files and rename them to Elatma (Elatma.jpg and Elatma.txt) .

VSF will detect normally this situation and the River_Oka scenery, voilà.. 8-)

Greetings
Victor

Post by Victor »

Pascal,

Many thanks for the information.
I had not downloaded the scenery yet but I will soon.
I have downloaded the ship but not installed yet. Is there any changes we need to do to get the ship working in VSF.
Many thanks Pascal.
@bientôt

Victor
Sailorjohn

Post by Sailorjohn »

Merci bien, Pascal. I will certainly follow your advice...and if I get it to work, I hope to try the other sceneries using the mods above...and also see if I can get one of the ships to work.
rakom

Post by rakom »

Hi everybody!

I'm also looking forward to NG!
I'm a big fan of Vehicle Simulator and I hope that some of the improvements developed in NG can be implemented in VSF too (the interface for example...).
It would be great to have in both programs a "swell" independent feature with adjustment of direction, height and period (or wavelength). I mean independent of the wind and the associated waves parameters. This would be particularly interesting for sailing. A simpler and more limited solution would be to decouple the wind direction from the waves direction.

However, there is one thing that bothers me about VSF and Virtual Sailor.

It is the behavior of boats, especially small boats, when faced with waves of a wavelength equal to or greater than their waterline. Looking at it from the side (chase view), it seems unrealistic, sometimes even very unrealistic. In any case, the behavior of the boat doesn't seem to match well with the wave movements, more often the keel can be completely visible and the boat seems to be hanging from a horizontal string (see screenshots below).
Of course, it is possible, on a case by case basis, to mitigate this a bit by reducing the "wave swelling", turning off the "dampen rotation" feature and so on. But overall, it's a bit frustrating. If this issue could be solved, it would be fantastic.
Then crossing the Atlantic in a 50-foot sailboat while surfing a big swell would be a feast for the eyes.

Cheers!
rakom

Post by rakom »

swell.jpg
swell.jpg (139.9 KiB) Viewed 108871 times
Sailorjohn

Post by Sailorjohn »

Pascal, regarding the River_Oka scenery above. I've followed your suggestions, but always wind up in the E020N90 scenery at the situation coordinates..both with and without scenery scan activated. And if I click on River_Oka scenery, VSF places me at default 0,0 position. Somehow, my VSF doesn't recognize the bin and hdr files even as edited. Is there something I'm missing here? Has anyone else outside of Russia gotten this beautiful scenery, or any of the others at Andrey's site to work?