How to make ships turning faster and increase max. speed?

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
MokMok

How to make ships turning faster and increase max. speed?

Post by MokMok »

In Virtual Sailor NG some older ships which were meant for Virtual Sailor 7.x (for example: Peter Pan, Fjord Norway, Princess of Scandinavia), have an incredibly slow rate of turn (turning speed) and cannot reach a speed of 20 kts when the throttles are at 100% full ahead. Which parameter values in boats.cfg/vehicle.cfg can be edited to make these ships having a faster rate of turn and a higher speed with throttle at 100% full ahead?
MelvinBlanck

Re: How to make ships turning faster and increase max. speed?

Post by MelvinBlanck »

I found nearly the same problem with my vessels.
In the Vehicle simulator the rate of turn is fine, the same vessel with the same properties/elements is turning very slow in VSNG.
Would be nice if the rate of turn will be also adjustable like the engine in the update 9.7.

BR,
Melvin
MokMok

Post by MokMok »

The rate of turn is defined by the mass of the ship. In the vehicle.cfg of Peter Pan III the parameter [mass] is set at 75000000.00. A value which is way too high to make more realistic rates of turn. When I decrease this value to 3549200.00, the rate of turn becomes more realistic. But both in Virtual Sailor NG and in Vehicle Simulator the ship doesn't list when I make a sharp turn, which is not realistic. How do I make a ship developing a list when making a sharp turn? In the old Virtual Sailor 7.x there is the parameter stability_body in boat.cfg to define the amount of list when making a sharp turn. The max. speed is defined by the value of the parameter [motor_hp].

At http://www.hangsim.com/virtual-sailor/c ... hicles.php under the header "The Vehicle Configuration File" there is a list of the parameters in vehicle.cfg.
Sailorjohn

Post by Sailorjohn »

You can experiment with moving the center of gravity up the y-axis a little bit at a time, and adjusting inertia. But beware...too high, and you will capsize.
MokMok

Post by MokMok »

Sailorjohn wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:13 pm You can experiment with moving the center of gravity up the y-axis a little bit at a time, and adjusting inertia. But beware...too high, and you will capsize.
The parameter [boat_cgy] defines the height of the centre of gravity which influences the angle of heel in turns. Which parameter in vehicle.cfg defines the inertia?
Sailorjohn

Post by Sailorjohn »

When you're in the boat.cfg parameter to adjust xyz coordinates, you can scroll down and manually adjust inertia along those axes, or scroll further down and click 'reset inertia'.
MokMok

Post by MokMok »

Sailorjohn wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:41 pm When you're in the boat.cfg parameter to adjust xyz coordinates, you can scroll down and manually adjust inertia along those axes, or scroll further down and click 'reset inertia'.
When I am in the 'Vehicle Elements' tab, I can edit the body element with parameters like [i_xx], [I-yy] and [i_zz] which define inertia along these axes. But what do these parameters [dx], [dy] and [dz] mean? In the 'Vehicle Elements' I don't see any 'reset inertia', but 'adjust inertia' in stead.
Sailorjohn

Post by Sailorjohn »

Parameters dx,dy,dz allow you to move center of gravity along those axes. I wasn't running NG when I said 'reset' inertia. It's 'adjust' inertia. When you move CoG, you should either click adjust inertia, or adjust it manually using the xx, yy, and zz parameters.