Texture Baking

This sections is intended for the ever growing number of 3D Modellings applications that can or cannot be used for developing addons for VS.

Texture Baking

Postby Hudizzle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:25 am

So, I've recently been looking into texture baking. Doing it with Maya seems nearly impossible for my skill level, there seems to be quite a lot to it, and I can't seem to find any good tutorials anywhere for it, just a lot of confusing technical stuff.
Now with 3DS, which I use to convert my .FBX files to .X, the process seems much simpler. In fact, I have been able to make a UV/baked texture image after setting up some lighting, and it seems to be properly mapped in 3DS, but when I export to .x and place the proper files in the proper places and try it in game, the object that had the texture-baking done to it does not show up... I've tried a bunch of different things, looked at a ton of tutorials, but I simply cannot find a way to make it work.
So, I'm looking for help from anybody here who might have experience with using baked textures in their VS models, preferably using 3DS Max.
Maybe there's something small that I'm failing to do, I haven't a clue.
I also don't intend to use baked textures on any large models, however, I am using my recent yacht WIP (Not on this forum) to test it...
Here is a sample of some of the baked textures I was able to make for that:

That's as far as I'm able to go. As I said, those textures and the objects they were baked to don't show up in-game...
So I could really use some help here, because I would really like to try this texture baking stuff with future projects (Ones that would likely be even smaller than my yacht WIP...)...

I hope someone can help!

Cheers!
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

PC Specs:
Processor - AMD Athlon II quad core (64-bit) 3.0Ghz
Graphics - XFX Radeon HD6770 1GB
RAM - 8GB
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Hudizzle

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: Texture Baking

Postby Axeonalias » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:07 am

Hi Huddizle,great Yacht from what I can see there,what program are you using to convert your 3ds files to x files? your problem lies there and yes its a tiny one :)

Tip: on your render to texture screen the standard i think in max is 0.03 ,try setting it to 0.003 to save space on the texture,this will make your used areas use more of the texture and you will have better quality bakes,If you need some help with Ambient Shading and some lighting setup im glad to assist,
Axeonalias

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby Hudizzle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:20 am

Axeonalias wrote:Hi Huddizle,great Yacht from what I can see there,what program are you using to convert your 3ds files to x files? your problem lies there and yes its a tiny one :)

Tip: on your render to texture screen the standard i think in max is 0.03 ,try setting it to 0.003 to save space on the texture,this will make your used areas use more of the texture and you will have better quality bakes,If you need some help with Ambient Shading and some lighting setup im glad to assist,

Thank you, Axe! It's becoming my new favorite project. :lol:
Well, I import .FBX into 3DS, then I make the bakes in 3DS, then, using a plugin called "Panda DirectX Exporter", I export directly to .x.

As for the tip, I did actually catch on to that. ;)
I had actually noticed that earlier, and I found how to change the figure, so my newer bakes look a bit better.
Here's a part of a newer one I made for the hull:

I just hope I can soon get to see how it looks in-game...

As for the WIP itself, I'll post an image here, just so everybody knows what it looks like normally... It's a render from 3DS:

I still need to work on some better lighting for the baking process, and as soon as I get the main problem of getting the bakes to work in-game, I'll be soliciting some help in the lighting area. ;)
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

PC Specs:
RAM - 8GB
Hudizzle

Postby Axeonalias » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:48 am

Wow Mate that is a Fantastic Model,after I saw the pic i looked through my archives,the are building a yacht that looks exactly like this one in Cape Town.

Your converter needs to link the texture,im not sure what Panda is nevermind how to use it so im no help there,Hope you figure it out.
Axeonalias

Postby Hudizzle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:22 am

Axeonalias wrote:Wow Mate that is a Fantastic Model,after I saw the pic i looked through my archives,the are building a yacht that looks exactly like this one in Cape Town.

Your converter needs to link the texture,im not sure what Panda is nevermind how to use it so im no help there,Hope you figure it out.

Thanks!
Hmm... I wonder if that yacht you mentioned is being built is actually one built by "Kasten Marine"... Might be, might not be, I'm not sure, but my design is based on a design from Kasten.

I guess if I keep using the panda exporter, I'll have to keep looking for a way to fix it...
But, I also exported to .3ds, imported to Deep Exploration, then exported to .x, without using the Panda exporter, and it still didn't work. Though I do think the object the bake was applied to did show up, but it was white... I did have the proper texture in the proper place, with the proper name, but it still didn't work. I also tried exporting from 3DS in .FBX format, and it said there was a problem exporting several materials... Likely the baked ones... So it must be a problem with getting the materials to export properly.

If that doesn't work, still, perhaps I could use something else to bake textures.

Axe, what do you use to bake your textures?
I have seen your cargo ship WIP (very nice, by the way, I love how you modeled every last detail, and I'm certainly keeping an eye on it), and I know you're modeling in Sketch-up (Looks like it at least), but are you also using Sketch-up for texture baking?

PC Specs:
RAM - 8GB
Hudizzle

Postby Axeonalias » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:37 am

When I first saw it in CT it reminded me of a Kasten design,so ill look into it,cant believe i didnt take a photo or 2 of it!

I use Sketchup 6 to model,3ds max to bake and deep ex to convert to x file,oh after export from max my scale is at 8.333% for some reason,but deepex sorts that out.

Check in the materials tabs,whatever name you have giving the materail,it will appear there,double click on it and go to the map area,then browse for your texture and you will like what you see :)

Thanks there are so many things to model on such a sized vessel,and so much research to do,to find out what you should find below deck etc.

Here is a pic of her from google earth :
Attachments
Unknown.jpg
Axeonalias

Postby Hudizzle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:34 am

Axeonalias wrote:When I first saw it in CT it reminded me of a Kasten design,so ill look into it,cant believe i didnt take a photo or 2 of it!

I use Sketchup 6 to model,3ds max to bake and deep ex to convert to x file,oh after export from max my scale is at 8.333% for some reason,but deepex sorts that out.

Check in the materials tabs,whatever name you have giving the materail,it will appear there,double click on it and go to the map area,then browse for your texture and you will like what you see :)

Hmm... So my process could be pretty much the same as yours...
However, I'm not sure where to find the material, still.
I'm terrible at navigating through most of the menus. Which version of 3DS do you have, Axe? I have 2009... I'm not sure how different the menus/UI is in the different versions, and if yours is the same, or close enough, that's good...
Basically, what do I click on exactly to get to the materials tabs, or do you mean pressing M to bring up the materials box?
As for the name, do you mean the filename I give to the texture itself?
If there is supposed to be a new material on the list after baking, there isn't, just the default list of other materials... Maybe I'm in the wrong window or something... Here's the only materials menu I know how to easily get to:

Only when I click "pick material from object", and click the object I baked, does the new baked material show up on that list... But it's not a "normal" one... It's some "shell material"...
Here's what I get:

If that's not it, though, then what do I click to get to where I need to be?

I hope I'm not being annoying with all these questions :lol:
I'm just confused on what exactly to click on... Perhaps the screen shots will help get things narrowed down a bit.
I keep feeling like I'm in the wrong window, or the button I'm looking for is directly under my nose. :lol:
As I said, I'm absolutely terrible at getting around 3DS's menus.

PC Specs:
RAM - 8GB
Hudizzle

Postby Axeonalias » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:26 am

Hehe im pretty bad with 3ds`s menu`s myself,the menu you are looking for is in deepex,after you have exported it from max,just be sure to change the diffuse base colour to white and the ambient to black as well in this menu,browse for your texture and smile :D
Attachments
materials.jpg
materials.jpg (47.66 KiB) Viewed 3771 times
Axeonalias

Postby CaptainMack » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:15 pm

Hmm... So my process could be pretty much the same as yours...
However, I'm not sure where to find the material, still.
I'm terrible at navigating through most of the menus. Which version of 3DS do you have, Axe? I have 2009... I'm not sure how different the menus/UI is in the different versions, and if yours is the same, or close enough, that's good...
Basically, what do I click on exactly to get to the materials tabs, or do you mean pressing M to bring up the materials box?
As for the name, do you mean the filename I give to the texture itself?
If there is supposed to be a new material on the list after baking, there isn't, just the default list of other materials... Maybe I'm in the wrong window or something... Here's the only materials menu I know how to easily get to:

Hi Hud, some help from another old 3ds Max User ;)

M is the keyword, that is the key I always hit when working with materials.
To create a new material you simply just drag one material slot into another, rename it and change it's colors, maps..whatever. :)
In 3ds Max you can also cycle how many material slots there will in your material editor, from Options in the Material Editor, and then Cycle 3x2....etc

If you export your work as OBJ-file, you can also export the materials in the same operation, which means that you don't need to browse for your material in Deep Exploration, if the textures are using the same file path. If they are not, Deep Exploration can be configured to save textures anyway trough this dialogue.

And like Axe wrote, about the ambient, diffuse and specular lightening

It can all be controlled by clicking on the settings-button when saving X-files by Deep Exploration. :)

CaptainMack

Postby Hudizzle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Thanks for the help, guys!
I've done what was suggested, but still not much luck.
What follows is all in Deep Ex., while not doing anything different in 3DS, just baking the texture, and putting it on the materials list by picking it from the baked object with the dropper, then exporting...
With what Axe suggested...
I exported first in the obj. format, then imported into DE... The other non-baked textures showed up in the preview window, but not the baked deck texture (I only baked the deck for testing). I selected the deck object and on the list of materials, there was just one:

After selecting the material, I then went to select the diffuse map, and I selected my baked texture:

The texture shows up on the deck object, but...

As you can see, the texture shows up, but the U/V mapping done during the baking process in 3DS is gone.

After that, I export to .x using the export settings shown by CaptainMack, and the texture shows up in-game, still without the proper UVs...

Going back to 3DS Max, I export in .3ds, instead of .obj...

Selecting the deck object, the material I had applied shows up with the correct name I had given it, but without its map...
When I go to select the proper texture again for the diffuse map, it once again show up without the proper UVs:

Looking at the UV tab, this is what it looks like:

I then export to .x anyway, and it still shows up the same way in-game.

So now it seems like I can get the texture to show up in game again, but the UV mapping is messed up...
It's as if it's still not being exported properly from 3DS, both the texture image assignment, as well as the UV mapping, and it's just the name and some blank color the gets exported...

PC Specs:
RAM - 8GB
Hudizzle

Next

Return to 3D Modelling Software