Texture Baking

This sections is intended for the ever growing number of 3D Modellings applications that can or cannot be used for developing addons for VS.

Re: Texture Baking

Postby Axeonalias » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:40 pm

When exporting a small box appears "preserve max texture co`rds" im guessing its ticked? oh and make sure your texture is on channel one,the standard is channel 3,wich wont work
Axeonalias

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby Hudizzle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:34 pm

Axeonalias wrote:When exporting a small box appears "preserve max texture co`rds" im guessing its ticked? oh and make sure your texture is on channel one,the standard is channel 3,wich wont work

Yes, when I export to .3ds, "preserve max texture co`rds" is ticked.

As for the texture channel, I have actually been baking it on 3...

However, if I change the channel from 3 to 1, then click render, I get this message:

And it doesn't render...
And if I select "use existing channel", and set that to 1 (which is actually the only one available for that option), it renders some weird baked texture that is shaped oddly, and is only a tiny part of what is needed to be rendered, so that's not going to work.
I'm not sure what else it could be...
Here, I'm going to put up screens of the entire baking dialog box as it appears before any given bake:

If there is anything amiss in there, let me know...
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

PC Specs:
Processor - AMD Athlon II quad core (64-bit) 3.0Ghz
Graphics - XFX Radeon HD6770 1GB
RAM - 8GB
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Hudizzle

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby Axeonalias » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:39 pm

No your all good leave that channel be,after the bake there is another channel you can set to the right of the screen on the modifiers side,set that then export
Axeonalias

Postby Hudizzle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:08 pm

Axeonalias wrote:No your all good leave that channel be,after the bake there is another channel you can set to the right of the screen on the modifiers side,set that then export

IT WORKED!!!!! :D :D :D

I did just as you said, changing the channel to one in the modifiers list... While it did change the affected object to being all black in the rendered viewport, I exported that to 3ds, then imported to Deep Exploration, and then, like you said earlier, went into the material properties and selected the proper texture, and that showed up correctly in the DE viewport... I then exported to .x, and it shows it nicely in-game!

Here:

:D :D :D

So, now I can start using baked textures!
Thank you very very very much for your help!

Now I just need to find the best way to light my model for baking. ;)
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

PC Specs:
RAM - 8GB
Hudizzle

Postby Axeonalias » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:28 pm

Glad i could help,try the skylight, *cast shadow on* and set the ambient lighting in the scene to black (find ambient lighting in render tab / enviroment :D
Have fun and she looks awesome!
Axeonalias

Postby Hudizzle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:11 am

Axeonalias wrote:Glad i could help,try the skylight, *cast shadow on* and set the ambient lighting in the scene to black (find ambient lighting in render tab / enviroment :D
Have fun and she looks awesome!

Okay, now... I found the skylight, placed it, and the regular perspective renders look nice, like I've seen with other models with baked textures... However, when I render my baked textures, they *would* look nice, but a bunch of black spots show up on, at least for one part, the deck bakes:

Have you ever had that problem? Any way to make it go away?

I think I've only had it with the skylight...

[EDIT]

That spotty effect shows up on rendering that part under the old lighting setup as well, just much lighter than with the skylight... I still don't know why that's there.

PC Specs:
RAM - 8GB
Hudizzle

Postby Axeonalias » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:27 am

Hmm smells to me like double faces,ive had similar issues when placing faces on top of each other even if the normals are not facing the same way,other than that I have no idea
Axeonalias

Postby Hudizzle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:53 am

Axeonalias wrote:Hmm smells to me like double faces,ive had similar issues when placing faces on top of each other even if the normals are not facing the same way,other than that I have no idea

Upon closer inspection, those spots that appeared on that last texture are actually appearing on all of my bakes, they're just totally black when I use the skylight... When I use other lights, or the omni light, they're still there, but mainly only visible when looking very close.. Except on the hull texture, as well as some other areas, where they show up a bit more. I'm still not sure what's causing it.

PC Specs:
RAM - 8GB
Hudizzle

Postby Hudizzle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:12 am

Some additional/more extensive testing of the baked textures on my yacht:

I've yet to get the skylight to render properly in the bakes.

Here's an extra little thing I made... An animated GIF, showing the model with baked textures, and with regular textures:

Makes quite a difference. ;)

PC Specs:
RAM - 8GB
Hudizzle

Postby Axeonalias » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:50 am

Hehe nice work,when you get the Skylight working do that gif again to see a HUGE diff! cant wait to see,if you need me to have a look at the model just drop me a pm.
Axeonalias

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Modelling Software