Problems with converting to VS 7

This sections is intended for the ever growing number of 3D Modellings applications that can or cannot be used for developing addons for VS.

Re: Problems with converting to VS 7

Postby itsme » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:59 am

This is a new phenomenon. In my opinion you have no 3d model. Your boat.x is not 3d to start with. As for the waterline, your keel has to be at y=0 level. But first get a 3d model for your ship.
Cheers, Reino.
itsme

Postby itsme » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:54 pm

If you say that your model in VS is only 2d, then I am 100% sure that your boat.x is not 3d. You lost something on the way.
Cheers, Reino.
itsme

Postby mikejensen » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:32 pm

Its your boat1.x, thats an x file for longer distance view. I think your boat.x file don't work and boat1.x working! :)

Projects:
mikejensen

Postby CaptainMack » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:48 am

So this is how new add-ons are made these days for the add-on library? Google 3D Warhouse makes your job easier, download, import to Virtual Sailor and claim it your work, volla...
I don't know what to say, really.

(and yes, someone got to say it, I just did). :P
CaptainMack

Postby Dom » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:21 am

CaptainMack wrote:So this is how new add-ons are made these days for the add-on library? Google 3D Warhouse makes your job easier, download, import to Virtual Sailor and claim it your work, volla...

Sadly, yes, it is the way to go for several VS or VSF addons nowadays. Take an existing old 3D model made by someone else (not necessarily from the 3D warehouse only), slightly modify it or add some basic stuff on it, put an awful texture on it, then claim it is yours... and every one will be happy.
Add to that most of the original 3D models used from the Google 3D Warhouse and chosen for conversion are of abyssal quality and awefully inaccurate to begin with, and then you have a perfect resulting addon...

If it was for personnal use, then no problem at all, but that stuff is often released on various websites and displayed on this forum.
That's sad, immoral and keeps several serious real modelers away from contributing or releasing their work that actually contributes to the real VS and VSF promotion.

Dom.

Formerly known as Dom ...just in case I follow this currently ongoing silly trend of changing one's screen name...
Dom

Postby Victor » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:14 am

CaptainMack wrote:So this is how new add-ons are made these days for the add-on library? Google 3D Warhouse makes your job easier, download, import to Virtual Sailor and claim it your work, volla...

They cannot claim it as their own. Credit has to be given to the Original Modeller or the oploaded file is removed, from the VS Library. Now i cannot speak for the other download sites. If there is doubt on the validity of a model,here we rely on members reporting such, the topic is locked until clarification is obtained, the latest example being the Titanic Wreck WIP.

Victor
Victor
Forum Administrator

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Return to 3D Modelling Software