New problem by converting into the x-file

This sections is intended for the ever growing number of 3D Modellings applications that can or cannot be used for developing addons for VS.

Re: New problem by converting into the x-file

Postby silja » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:53 pm

Hello,

I had this problem but I knew immediately that had VS ...But I'm not sure.. (VS not accpeted the size of the ship I think... :?: :?: ) Already done what you think.

Best regards,

Dany.
Current project:

M/S Baltic Queen
M/S Victoria I
silja

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby schmitty » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:53 pm

update:

I get a answer from Dany. The good info is, that the model-file is ok and the bad info is, that it would be a problem with my computer. I have to reinstall my modelling-, converting-program and Virtual Sailor and i have to hope, that this is enough... Maybe next weekend...

Regards
Christian
---------------------------------------------------
My published Add-ons:
> Download

My actual project:
> -
schmitty

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby flyingndiving » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:02 pm

Schmitty, have you tried using the 3D Rad plug-in for sketchup? It's what I've been using, and with good results.
flyingndiving

Postby schmitty » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:27 am

flyingndiving wrote:Schmitty, have you tried using the 3D Rad plug-in for sketchup? It's what I've been using, and with good results.

Hello and thank you for your answer. i tried it, but i get every time a error-massage. But in the moment Deepexploration works good...

Regards
Christian
---------------------------------------------------
My published Add-ons:
> Download

My actual project:
> -
schmitty

Postby mikejensen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:38 am

I can now see why I love my Deep Exploration 6!

Projects:
mikejensen

Postby zilverenmist » Fri May 13, 2011 1:09 pm

All I can say is it is a build error that SU happened to have.
The 3ds files made with SU and AC3D are faked 3ds files.
You see it if you open the "fake" 3ds file in 3ds max.
The dancing and even black screen freezing are errors in the initial file that are not corrected.
Some people forget to delete hidden, frozen and invissible objects, and making a 3ds file it will copy all content in the world to that 3ds file.
I started with AC3D, that make acceptable x files, and have features to optimize vertices and polygons, something that in SU is a lot harder to do, and mostly have to be done manually, even in the SU8pro version.
This adtvantage over other programs make it easy to build and correct errors, it can make fake 3ds files; if you open a AC3D .3ds in max, all polygons are backfaces.
A .skp file made to .3ds is a mess opened in max.
So there are a lot of ways to skrew it up, and in free versions there is not much to be done about that.
In some cases the auto saved vehicle.cfg has a problem, and the ship somehow end up in orbit, and finaly freezes.
From the cases mentioned above I think it is a build error; blind children and even 1 vertice not connected to anything can also cause errors, specially since conv3ds was made for real 3ds files, it see no difference in the fake files, and in most cases copy the error flawless to the x model.

Took me long to get here, but learned a lot last year on building, and specially errors, because making errors was for a while the best I could.
I can also answer a lot of questions thanks to Ilan who supported me all the way during the time that I was stuck in the registration mail.
And in this case I know it is a build error.
Forgot to mention that you need to snap, welt and optimize vertices before saving, and make sure you grouped all components that are the actual boat file, and if you don't you have to adjust the hierarchy so that the hull is on top of the list. a sloppy hierarchy can also give unwanted effects.
But most common mistakes I made was forget to delete all that has not to do with the boat, but was hidden, and accidental doublle the whole model, without noticing it.
I think I mentioned all I ever seen last year on errors there are to make before it is a proper x file.

Urm.. the problem is in the 3D model, make sure you have all faces flipped correct, no overlappings no free unconected wandering vertices (happen often deleting a line by vertice)
double polygons and double vertices etc all things that the fake 3ds files hide and will backfire once they are .x!
zilverenmist

Postby itsme » Fri May 13, 2011 6:16 pm

AC3d gave me similar headaches when importing 3ds files. I use now a conversion via #.obj files which seems to work fine. Not sure whether this is an option in SU.
Cheers, Reino.
itsme

Previous

Return to 3D Modelling Software