[How] Double Faces in sketch Up 8

This sections is intended for the ever growing number of 3D Modellings applications that can or cannot be used for developing addons for VS.

Re: [How] Double Faces in sketch Up 8

Postby kostas11 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:00 pm

i agree with Dom. if the face is not visible in the game after exporting in x files, then you must reopen the skp file with sketchup, highlight the face, right click on her and select "Reverse face" on the menu.

edit: oops i send the mail before reading the post... but never mind the file is in Word 1997-2003 so you can read it
kostas11

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby bennymaeker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:24 am

Hi.Okay. I've tried that with the reverse face-funktion. But on some places it isn't possible. I've tied it with using groups too, but it looks horrible in VS. And the Lusitania, it's too much work.
@kostas, I did not receive your e-mail. :cry: :cry: Do you sent the e-mail to bennymaeker@yahoo.de? Sorry, but I need the screenshots to understand that correctly. Often I wish that English is my mother tongue. :oops: :cry:

@dom. Here are two screenshots of the Lusitania. When I get the permission of her owner and if you like, (its the Lucy from sketchup warehouse "Deck by deck", but without interior) I make a WIP.

http://www.abload.de/img/lusitaniasternqus40.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/lusitaniagtsah.jpg

I only do that, because huddizle had not finished his Lucy.

Sorry for my bad english
bennymaeker

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby kostas11 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:07 am

Benny,
Don't worry about your English..... my English are worse than your :)

Sorry, i don't know if Dom have undertand well your problem .... but i'm confused!
you want create double faces, or make visible some faces?
your problem is in your skp file? in the DE when you open the skp file? or invisible faces of the model in the game?
your screenshot of 3 Oct. with the model in DE is very small and i can't see were is the problem
your attachment is a BIG shot of your desktop and a small immage of DE. try to maximize the immage and reload them

P.S. i send you another time the email
kostas11

Postby bennymaeker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:48 pm

I have now converted with the help of your guide the Faces to Double Faces. But if I want to load the ship in VS, crashes Virtual Sailor. The model, without Double Faces loads properly. but with Double Faces my VS brings to crash. :cry:

Sorry for my bad english
bennymaeker

Postby kostas11 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:24 pm

Benny,
Your computer crashed because.... you have not read carefully what Dom said twice here. (and many times in others post.)

(1 Oct.)......But be careful with that option, your polygons number may very well "explode" and you may obtain as much as twice their necessary number. The more suitable but much longer method would be to either "double sides", either invert the faces you select yourself.

(3 Oct.)......I repeat, for the reasons I've already mentionned, I DO NOT recommend to do that. Use the "Unify Normals" or/and the "Invert faces and/or normals" tools instead, (under the Optimize tab), for each concerned parts.

if you create double faces for ALL your model then 1) the KBytes of boat.x file increases at least twice than without them 2)if in the game use Full settings (like best quality, full visibility, Reflaction, waves, meshes......) cost a great number of fps

so (i think) your graphic card not support all of them and the game crash

Try to reduce the number of the double faces. Not all the faces of a boat must be visible... except if your model is...... Hudizzle Titanic. Or design a second face at short distance

i have the same problem. VS crash on my computer if the boat.x file is more than 3,5 MB, with best quality of settings
kostas11

Postby bennymaeker » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:18 pm

Oh, sorry. I translated it wrong from english to german :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I just thought that my computer (GeForce GTX 680, Memory 32GB, Intel Core i7-3770K 4x 3.5 Ghz) can handle that.

Sorry for my bad english
bennymaeker

Postby Dom » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:48 pm

Benny, as much as yes, as Kostas and I mentionned, you should pay a lot of attention to not uselessly double thousands and thousands of faces that need not to, I think that's not necessarily the cause of your crash there. With VS and VSF, even if your hardware is too weak, you rarely have a crash due to too much polygons but rather poor or very poor performances instead. So I tend to think there's a conversion problem there.

And by the way, you've a heck of extremly good harware there! (I wish I had one half as powerful). It should be able to handle several high poly ships into high poly sceneries.

Dom.

Formerly known as Dom ...just in case I follow this currently ongoing silly trend of changing one's screen name...
Dom

Postby bennymaeker » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:31 am

hm, okay. :cry:

Is there a way to save on polygons without changing the model too much? your Maury, for example. That ship is very, very detailed, But I get very high fps, with both versions (VS and VSF). and there are non Invisible Faces. I know, you dont use sketch up. How do you build high detailed ships without much polygons? How I convert my high poly - Lucy to a low - poly Lucy without losing to much details?

PS: I paid € 2400 for that PC. :mrgreen:

Sorry for my bad english
bennymaeker

Postby kostas11 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:14 am

Benny,
I know that Dom use 3dsmax for modeling. 3dsmax is the top professional program. Sketchup is easier to learn and modeling with good results.
But, according me, is not the software, but how able is the user of the software.
and to become able, to use all the features, you must work seriously with patience and persistence, to experiment, to looking all the possibilities.
And that is something who nobody can learn to you.
i assure you, that my first models (a year ago) was most simply and most heavy from the last ones who i made. Many of this projects i have abandoned.
And still i am a novice
kostas11

Postby bennymaeker » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:00 pm

Okay. I will try it to convert only important faces to double-faces and if it dont work after that I give up my Lusitania model and wait for jakeyboys Lucy.

Sorry for my bad english
bennymaeker

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Modelling Software