Questions about working with Deep Exploration & Sketchup

This sections is intended for the ever growing number of 3D Modellings applications that can or cannot be used for developing addons for VS.

Questions about working with Deep Exploration & Sketchup

Postby schmitty » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:56 am

Hello,

i have some questions about working with Deep Exploration. Because i have only the trial-version, i do not have a lot of time... :?

- The export-file (*.x) is very heavy (33 MB). Is there a chance tu minimize it easely?

- Do you know a good way to reduce the poly-count in Deep Exploration, or better in Sketchup?

Here are my settings:

Import:

Export:
Regards
Christian
---------------------------------------------------
My published Add-ons:
> Download

My actual project:
> -
schmitty

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: Questions about working with Deep Exploration & Sketchup

Postby Dom » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:03 am

schmitty wrote:Hello,

i have some questions about working with Deep Exploration. Because i have only the trial-version, i do not have a lot of time... :?

- The export-file (*.x) is very heavy (33 MB). Is there a chance tu minimize it easely?

Hello Christian,

Yes, into the export tab, you must set "Maximum vertices on polygon" to 3 (what you've already done) and "ASCII mode" to NO.

- Do you know a good way to reduce the poly-count in Deep Exploration, or better in Sketchup?

In D.E., you select your part, then "Optimize" tab, then "Reduce model"; But be careful with the settings there because some too hard values can distort the shape of the parts or remove some necessary faces. You have to try the best settings for every different part, so I recommend to often save your model with a different name at each stage when it is right.
After that polygon reduction process, you usually have to redo the mapping

Dom.

Formerly known as Dom ...just in case I follow this currently ongoing silly trend of changing one's screen name...
Dom

Postby schmitty » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:51 pm

[at] Dom:

Hello Dom and thank you for your feedback.

I will try the way you describe.

[at] all:

I have a another problem with the axis. I placed the model in google sketchup like i did in the past like this screenshot shows:

After the import-process to Deep Exploration and after the export-process to directX, the ship has moved to the port-side and the keel is high over the water line.
Is that normal? I can fix it with Deep Exploration tool "object-move", but this is for me an unassesary working-step. I find no mistake in the import- or export-settings...
Any idea?

Regards
Christian
---------------------------------------------------
My published Add-ons:
> Download

My actual project:
> -
schmitty

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby silja » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Hello Christian,

The problem of the axis, come from Sketchup, I was the same problem before. And I were find a idea (I think is not the best, maybe) but it works , Copy the model, and paste to a new sketchup file, and place in the correct position. After that, Normaly it works, (for me it works) so Try and tell me if it works.

Best Regards,

Dany
Current project:

M/S Baltic Queen
M/S Victoria I
silja

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Return to 3D Modelling Software