HELP NEEDED

This sections is intended for the ever growing number of 3D Modellings applications that can or cannot be used for developing addons for VS.

HELP NEEDED

Postby Trinicrafter10 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:18 am

I found a really nice steam tugboat .skp file, but I really really REALLY want to import it and do the boat .cfg etc etc, but I need to know which softwares I could use for possibly animating an engine and doing the propeller .x file.
Last time I tried importing a ship without ANY experience, my computer nearly died...
A mirror reflects you, not others.
Trinicrafter10

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: HELP NEEDED

Postby Axeonalias » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:49 am

Hi Trinicrafter10,

When wanting to import from the sketchup warehouse, there are many things to keep in mind, after downloading it have a look for the following :

1. Face Orientation, make sure when in monochrome view all the faces you see are white, not blue.
2. Polygons ( Faces ) , most modelers on the warehouse dont know how to control this so the models generally are poly heavy.
3. Textures , some people tend to use many textures that are downloaded and are huge, 10x 12mb textures will bring vsf to its knees in load time.
4. Scale, Usually it will not be made to scale.
5. Model Orientation, Model should face forward on the Y Axis ( Sketchup Y ) and be placed flat on the y0 x0 z0

These are just a few basics to look out for, I have imported complete Ships but have found them troublesome, the amount of time spent making them usable mean (in most cases) means you might as well make it purposely built from scratch.

Hope this Helps!
Axeonalias

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Re: HELP NEEDED

Postby Trinicrafter10 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:15 pm

Thanks! This helps alot. I'll use this advice soon as I cut my finger badly and it was my left middle one that is really helpful. :)
A mirror reflects you, not others.
Trinicrafter10

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Return to 3D Modelling Software