DirectX failures

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
rakom

DirectX failures

Post by rakom »

Hi everybody!

I'm just reporting about VSNG not reading DirectX files correctly which affects the use of vehicles originally designed for VSF or newly designed for VS NG.

1/ Does VS NG know how to read the transparencies of the objects included in the lights.x file and which are therefore used to create lighting effects ? Apparently not, below is an example of the beautiful ferry M/N MEGA EXPRESS THREE from NaviVirtuali in VSF and VS NG respectively
009.JPG
009.JPG (193.69 KiB) Viewed 4522 times
010.JPG
010.JPG (171.12 KiB) Viewed 4522 times
but if you look at this example of glazing with transparent material...it can. So what's going on there?
011.JPG
011.JPG (102.87 KiB) Viewed 4522 times
2/ VS NG apparently reads all files converted by conv3ds.exe but not systematically all DirectX files generated by 3D software plugins like 3DS MAX. A file read without problem by Vehicle simulator is not necessarily read by VS NG, or can be read but with alterations that contradict the parameters of the boat.cfg file, in short it's a mess.

I have only tested one new model of my own, extensively and unsuccessfully from all angles (the Stern trawler Princesse). In this case, the boat.x file could not be loaded, the anim.x and gear.x files could, all of which were converted with the 3DS MAX plug-in. In trying to determine if part of the 3D model was causing this problem, I incrementally encoded part of the model and managed to load it, but it was floating at a higher altitude than expected, to the point of flying hundreds of feet when it reached 90% of the full model... weird, isn't it?

Of course, there are ways to get around this last problem with a few tricks while waiting for its final resolution...
we can also hope that as the software evolves, mentioned problems will disappear on their own as a side effect of new unrelated improvements (as was the case before with the erroneous generation of deck.dss files which was not specifically addressed), after all computer science is sometimes more magic than science, isn't it? :)
Sailorjohn

Re: DirectX failures

Post by Sailorjohn »

Just downloaded the NG Princesse; can't wait to set the trawls!

If you haven't already done so, I hope you bring this to Ilan's attention. Your modeling and researching this problem should be of great benefit to the program.