Some advice before purchase.

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
DistortAMG

Some advice before purchase.

Post by DistortAMG »

Hello! I was looking for some advice before I go ahead and make the purchase of either VSF or VSNG.

I shall start out by saying I have used VS since VS4 back in about 2002..worked all the way up to VS7 then on to VSF.

I have been out the loop for a few years though so before I go and download my clould storage of acumilated VS and VSF ships and ferries I was curious to know what would serve my needs best.

I have mainly used VS and VSF for the best part of 2 decades (and had an amazing time) mainly for ships and ferry. That is how I currently plan and intent to use it going forward. I have never really used the other vehicle aspects of VSF, just really the ship aspect.

So my questions are, are the ship / boat aspects of VSNG more advance than VSF?

Is the road map looking like VSNG will provide a more compelling shipping simulation going forward, better than what is an excellent simulation in VSF.

Other features and things I should know before making my purchase?

By the way, I am fully aware that VSNG is in active development, I love the idea of supporting something that is in development if it serves my wishes. More than happy to put up with a work in progress, Ilan has certainly earned his stripes to deliver decent software over the long time I have used it.

System specs incase they are relevant are nothing spectacular but no slouch either. Not sure if that will have an impact on the decision.

Ryzen 2700X
32GB DDR4 3000MHZ
1TB WDS550 NVMe SSD
Nvidia GTX 1660 Super

I would also like to perhaps have a dabble at creating content for the sim. Something I have dabbled at over the years but never really amounted to much.

I look forward to hearing anyone's response and I really look forward to getting back into the virtual seas over the Christmas break. I have been trying to find the time to enjoy this simulator for months again. Now is the time.

Finally I can get some of the excellent and detailed Stena ferries such as the Superfast, Stena Explorer (from Alan Carter?) and some of the Greek island high speed ferries and everything in between out to play. They have been sitting in my clould storage for a long time. Ready to sail again! I am hoping to make the purchase before the weekend. So any advice will be hugely appreciated.

If I have posted this in the wrong place, I apologise, please feel free to move :)

King regards.

Distort AMG
Sailorjohn

Re: Some advice before purchase.

Post by Sailorjohn »

As an 'old salt' going all the way back to VS 6, and in VSF from day one when we ship sailors hijacked VSF (which Ilan hoped would be a successor to Microflight!)...I'd say go with VSNG. It uses superior inertial dynamics, vastly improved wave generation, better FPS performance, and easily imports VSF vehicles, situations, and scenery. While VSF is relatively static now, VSNG is updating and upgrading rapidly. Ilan welcomes suggestions and input, so this is a sailor's sim. While I still enjoy VSF and go there occasionally, it seems sort of 'yesterday' and dated after being immersed in NG.

Just my thoughts...based on 26 years US Coast Guard service including 4 summers in the 295' barque EAGLE, three ship commands...and a lifetime of pleasure boating, power and sail.

Fair winds,
Sailorjohn
Victor

Post by Victor »

Fully concur with SJ's comments. i have been using VS since VS3 and VSF from day one also.

I'll say VSNG.

Victor
DistortAMG

Post by DistortAMG »

Thank you both for the reply's. I have gone ahead and made the purchase for VSNG.

I looked more detail into the new features and took what you guys said and I think undoubtedly this is the software for me, undoubtedly the most comprehensive simulator for boats both large and small. After having a look in more detail there seems to be many new great features.

I look forward very much to getting it set up this weekend now, look forward to many hours sailing away too.

Thanks again.
Sailorjohn

Post by Sailorjohn »

Our pleasure, Victor and I. And I promise you'll be hooked the first time you have to duck as the wave crashes over the bow, enveloping you in virtual spray!

Fair winds and following seas
SJ