Flightplan conversion tool

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
NZ6258

Flightplan conversion tool

Post by NZ6258 »

Within the flightsim eco-system there are a number of great flight planning tools available, which got me thinking about whether I could make a converter tool to let us use the output 'flightplan' in Virtual Sailor somehow.

My personal favourite VFR (Visual Flight Rules for the non aviation among us) planning software is Plan-G, which I have used a lot over the years. What Plan-G does, which makes it useful for VS is allows you to add a waypoint anywhere on the map at the click of the mouse.
https://www.plan-g.app/app.php/home

Here I have created a 'flight' plan in Plan-G for the Wellington to Picton Ferry Service....

I save this plan, then in VS:NG Set up my vessel, and save a situation for the flightplan to be inserted into, and run my converter tool.

Select the Plan-G file on the left, and the VS Situation file on the right, then hit convert..

Here you can see a list of waypoints which have been read by the converter.

Finally, load the situation back into VS and see all the converted waypoints on the map :)

Bear in mind my programming skills are near-non-existant, I would probably write code in crayon if it wasn't for the fact that I was likely to eat the crayons before I got done!

Download the beta version here: http://ta4ksim.com/downloads/PLG2VSNG_1.0.4.zip

I offer this to the community, and I hope someone finds it useful!

SeanG

<editted to fix a broken link>
Sailorjohn

Re: Flightplan conversion tool

Post by Sailorjohn »

That's a great adaptation, Sean. Given that Ilan is an avid real-world pilot and aircraft owner, I bet he'd be easily coaxed into incorporating this into both VSNG and VSF. ;) :) :?: :?: :?:
hjsmuc

Post by hjsmuc »

Great job, thank you.
PapaCharlie

Post by PapaCharlie »

Hello :)

I have a question regarding the virtual airline/sealine?
Is there a website for that and do you have a virtual sea carrier with logging of the made journeys via ship?

Kind Rgds PC ;)
NZ6258

Post by NZ6258 »

Hello PapaCharlie!
PapaCharlie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:26 pm I have a question regarding the virtual airline/sealine?
Is there a website for that and do you have a virtual sea carrier with logging of the made journeys via ship?
I have my web Blog, and a Discord channel. So far I haven't made a logging system for VS.. but I *am* working on it. If you are keen to 'join' Southern Charter, PM me, and I'll send you the discord link.
At present it's just posting screenshots and telling (virtual) sea stories... We *do* have logging for Flight Sim flights, Euro Truck Sim 2 and American Truck Sim..

Cheers
Sean