WIP- S.S. Canberra

Working on something cool? This is where you can tell everyone about it.

WIP- S.S. Canberra

Postby Andrew » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:23 am

Well, i have been keeping this a secret for too long now and i wanna share it.

Ok back in July, i was deciding to build a new ship. The only problem was i couldnt decide on the ship i wanted to build. I read through many different books and was thinking about Mauretania, Aquitania, Normandie, Queen Elizabeth, Canberra, Oriana, Hanseatic (the former Empress of Scotland), and the unbuilt sister of Normandie, the planned Bretagne. Then at the later end of July, i had narrowed my choices down to 4 ships, Mauretania, Normandie, Canberra, and Oriana. I had started work on a Mauretania for Virtual Sailor but i started playing around with VSF and to this day i still toy around with it.

Anyways, so i narrowed my choices down to just Normandie and Canberra. Both had been a favorite of mine but while i looked for deck plans (and i mean PROPER deck plans) it was Canberra whos caught my eyes first. So around my first semester of college i started working on the ship. I got really into her and by around, oh say October, i had the hull complete. And from November to the end of December I begun (and just recently completed the superstructure. Canberra's unique hull with her sharply curved bow and open decked stern, i managed to complete with almost 100% accurate detailing of the hull. As of this moment, i have Canberra's funnels completed (minus the 5 foot black extensions that were added on in her later career) and the casing built and well.....i think you guys just need to see.
What do you think?
c1.png

c2.png

c3.png
Were you in the boat when the boat tipped over?
No, silly. I was in the water!
Andrew
Global Moderator

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Re: Sneek Peek

Postby Andrew » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:59 am

c1.png

c2.png

c3.png

Purty idnt it? :lol: But seriously though, i honestly think she has become my best creation so far. I have put my heart and soul into her so i feel confident she looks good. She is major steps up in alot of different areas of modeling. She is going to be my first ship ever to have a textured hull, and i agree with everyone that say textured hulls are better than just a bold color.

As for right now i have put the ship into VS but this will be the first ship i release to VSF. And i am taking into consideration of releasing this model as payware. Probably for like a couple of bucks at first and then raise the price later, i dont really know yet. That is why i want to ask the moderators, and the administrators (Yes, this means Charlotte, i actually would love for her to see this and give her opinion.) Im going to leave it up to you guys. What do you think of Canberra and do you think she is worth a couple of bucks?
-Andrew
P.S. Sam, i have some pictures of you "refitted" Oriana i was telling you about. Here they are.
Andrew
Global Moderator

Postby Victor » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:09 am

very nice model Andrew. I have always been a fan of the Canberra. I think it is the twin stacks that did it. The fact that I did my merchant navy acquaint course on board her has nothing to do with it. Avery good choice and will make a nice addition to the fleet. WRT payware. i think you should decide yourself but as there are other modellers who do payware, it might be an an idea to contact them. However, if you make it donation ware, those who download will give you money , what they think is reasonable. But if you have a price, then people will compare yours with others such as Dom and Axe and ... you know what I mean. I personally would not pay for a model but i would donate in order to encourage people to do more and better modelling. My reason for not purchasing is simple, we know Vs will not improve to what is available at the moment. VSF , despite all its good points is still a few functions short of being a superb simulator. I mean in terms of ropework, towing, pushing etc. because I know what I am doing, I can "simulate" an operation by using other functions. Online work needs improving as well. But thayt is another story.
As far as Charlotte is concerned, you stand a better chance of getting a reply by sending a mail. She haas not been here for months and has not replied to mails i have sent her. Even her blog has not been updated for months.

Victor
Victor
Forum Administrator

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby Nemo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Noo, not my old Oriana again, I'd blocked her from my memory... again! Haha I should really do her again, but it's hard to find plans for her. (You know well I don't like my old model!) I did want to model my very favourite ship, though... the HMAV Bounty (I find I can put good detail into sailing vessels), but all the files are on my desktop computer and we just moved and I don't know where I put the cords, but I digress.

Very, very nice! I'd agree, she's your best model so far :) That hull is great, too! Although, perhaps round it off at the bow where it hits the bulbous part? Will you be adding features on deck, like deck chairs, etc? But no, she looks really great! If you can, try and texture everything, even the white stuff with a white metal texture :)
About payware, I don't do payware, but as with Victor, I like donationware. I think donationware is the better option.

I'm looking forward to more progress shots! And btw, if you want me to do the props, send me an email with pics etc, and I'll get 'em done :)
Nemo
Global Moderator

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:28 am

Heres some prop pictures Sam. I can find hardly anything
18-Stbd_Prop.jpg

OR 016 Nov. 81.JPG

ds_Canberra - 1979 Southampton Dry Dock 6.jpg

1.jpg
1.jpg (19.17 KiB) Viewed 4067 times

I think the first 2 are probably of Oriana's propellers. But i can not find hardly any good shots of Canberra's.
Andrew
Global Moderator

Postby Andrew » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:23 pm

I have made this little Promo Video Blog, making public awareness of the Canberra :D
Andrew
Global Moderator

Postby Victor » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:59 pm

Very good the see the GWW back in the water. In VSF you can position the mooring lines to their proper places. You have underlined one of the problems in VSF - unable to push the ship into her berth. i think you can push from astern but not at the sides.
Anyway coming along nicely.

Victor
Victor
Forum Administrator

Postby Andrew » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:23 am

Victor, i would love for you to talk about your experience aboard the Canberra if you dont mind. :D
Andrew
Global Moderator

Postby Victor » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:57 pm

Not at all but you'll be disappointed. Firstly I was working as a naval officer. My job was to learn about the merchant navy and how it could be used in times of war. The battle of the Atlantic showerd the military a great deal on the potential of the merchant Fleet. The make up of convoys to protect merchant Shipping came into hte equation. As you know, The Canberra was requisioned by the Royal Navy to be used as a Troopship in the Falklands conflict, hence the nickname Great White Whale. Yes I kept a watch with a merchant navy officer o the bridge and received the odd invite to dine with the Entertainments officer with the "customers" .I amsure you appreciate the responsibilities of an officer at sea ireespective of merchant or Military as the italian is findng out as we speak.
The exciting bits are when you get ashore. each port is different. The problem is that you only gett one day. It is just as bad for the Military folks. They have the security of the ship to take into consideration as well. How's this for a confession. In almost very big warship there is a chinese community. They do the laundry , hair eressing, tailoring etc.cobbling etc I have never seen a chinese person get on aboard or leave the ship and I have a reputation for being one of the sharpest. Work that one out or as you say in the U.S, Go figure.

Victor
Victor
Forum Administrator

Postby Andrew » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:55 pm

Sounds like it would have been a good experience. Something very different than what one would normally expect on a cruise ship turned troopship. I wasnt disappointed at all. I actually want to know as much about the Canberra as i could possibly learn because it will help me make her a better looking ship.

:idea: Sam, i took in your request and have redone the bow (take a closer look at the video I posted and you shall see. I think it does look better.) I have also textured the entire hull of the ship (some walls and ceilings needs some texturing too but i don't know how to do proper "shading" of the deck so to speak, where the sun hit the hull and casts shadows on the deck. I am working on that but probably will not get much progress with that.
Oh, and also, i need some help designing her tenders/lifeboats (whatever you want to call them as they were used as both) im going to attempt to find some proper plans of her davits as they are extremely unique. I have also acquired Photoshop CS5.1 and I am going to be experimenting with textures (My first experiment is going to be Canberra's flags. Im having trouble navigating but will catch on hopefully. :D

Which reminds me, Victor. Did Canberra fly the blue ensign or the red?

Oh, and i should be purchasing VSF soon, so i will probably be doing so when i get my income tax back (gotta love working at McDonald's.)

-Andrew
Andrew
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Boat WIPs