Jahre Viking anyone?

Working on something cool? This is where you can tell everyone about it.

Re: Jahre Viking anyone?

Postby Sailorjohn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:55 am

Try deleting or renaming 'boat.cfg'.
If that doesn't work...try a clean reinstall of Jahre_Viking: remove it from VSF vehicles folder, delete 'elements', 'profile.dds', 'vehicle.cfg'...then re-import it to VSF.
Start VSF. Load Jahre_Viking. Save elements. Close game. In VSF vehicles folder, go to Jahre_Viking, and copy contents of my post into vehicle.cfg and elements files, respectively. It should work. It does for me...and PBH, apparently. Are you running demo. Have you installed updates thru 2.4.9? Some of the updates since 2.4 have altered dynamics. If everything else fails, I think my vehicle.cfg should help...but it won't react as realistically as with elements.
Sailorjohn

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby CarterTheCargoMan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:43 am

Sailorjohn wrote:Try deleting or renaming 'boat.cfg'.
If that doesn't work...try a clean reinstall of Jahre_Viking: remove it from VSF vehicles folder, delete 'elements', 'profile.dds', 'vehicle.cfg'...then re-import it to VSF.
Start VSF. Load Jahre_Viking. Save elements. Close game. In VSF vehicles folder, go to Jahre_Viking, and copy contents of my post into vehicle.cfg and elements files, respectively. It should work. It does for me...and PBH, apparently. Are you running demo. Have you installed updates thru 2.4.9? Some of the updates since 2.4 have altered dynamics. If everything else fails, I think my vehicle.cfg should help...but it won't react as realistically as with elements.

I have posted multiple times in this thread stating that I was using the demo, as I was saving up for Vehicle Simulator. If that is the reason that the elements is not working, I will hopefully have the sim before the month is up.

I would like to thank you guys for all your hard work with this glorious ship, you've made my experience here a memorable one. And I hope to keep it a memorable one for a long time to come, thanks again guys. :mrgreen:

Cheers!

Carter :)
CarterTheCargoMan

Postby Sailorjohn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:55 am

You do know that you can still install the later VSF updates to your demo...?
Sailorjohn

Postby CarterTheCargoMan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:44 pm

Sailorjohn wrote:You do know that you can still install the later VSF updates to your demo...?

Really? Didn't know that. :?

Many demos I've ever played limited you so much that intalling extra content or updates seemed so distant. There is so many things I don't know about this sim. What updates should I start with, and what updates are required to get the elements working?

Best regards,

Carter
CarterTheCargoMan

Postby Sailorjohn » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:33 am

The most recent demo is 2.4. The latest VSF is 2.4.9. If I were you, I'd try installing updates 2.4.1 thru 2.4.9, in sequence...because these are all 'mini-updates', they don't necessarily contain all the program code...only those portions changed. They're all .exe, so you just need to download them and click 'run'. After installing each, you can delete the update .exe file. I can't guarantee it'll make the elements work for JV, but I'm running full VSF2.4.9. I had imported JV from VS almost 3 years ago, and had a heap of trouble getting it to behave...symptoms like yours...bouncing up and down, spinning around, sinking, etc. Couldn't really use it at first...but as VSF matured and improved...and as I learned how to use elements, I finally got it running fine. I hadn't used JV for quite a while; I saw your thread and figured, well, I'll post my elements. Decided to double-check it first...and it was jumping all over again, just like yours! I deleted elements, and everything was OK. Saved and edited them again, and I've been using JV ever since with no problems. So there was some coding in more recent updates that invalidated my earlier elements. I suspect that's the case for your demo.
Sailorjohn

Postby spookymufu » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:12 am

hey SJ, where are all the updates, I'm looking at the VSF web site under updates and I only see one download, well two but they look like they are the same thing...

Also, when I load your elements file the elements seem to be well below the ship pushing it up in the air....

spookymufu

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby Sailorjohn » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:05 am

Hmm...I stand corrected. Apparently the latest update does contain all prev coding...so you'd only have to install 2.4.9. I always install updates as they are released (keeping last version just in case), so I've never tried to go back for earlier updates. Mea culpa.

Did you first replace the vehicle.cfg with mine, Spook? You have to do that before elements...otherwise...chaos.

Apparently tankerman is running full VSF, and the vehicle.cfg and elements work for him as they do for me. Wonder if it's something about the demo...
Sailorjohn

Postby CarterTheCargoMan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:22 am

Sailorjohn wrote:Hmm...I stand corrected. Apparently the latest update does contain all prev coding...so you'd only have to install 2.4.9. I always install updates as they are released (keeping last version just in case), so I've never tried to go back for earlier updates. Mea culpa.

Did you first replace the vehicle.cfg with mine, Spook? You have to do that before elements...otherwise...chaos.

Apparently tankerman is running full VSF, and the vehicle.cfg and elements work for him as they do for me. Wonder if it's something about the demo...

Ok, thanks. I will install them ASAP.

As for spookymufu, that is EXACTLY what is happening to me. Now you you know how I feel. :(

I let you know what the results are SJ, thanks for the update.

Best regards,

Carter
CarterTheCargoMan

Postby spookymufu » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:32 am

yeah SJ, i did.....this issue is more academic for me as I'm really not too interested in this model, but it will be interesting to see why the difference between full version and demo. As soon as I load the properties ingame tho the ship settles down, but as soon as I load the elements it's back up again.
spookymufu

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby CarterTheCargoMan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:23 am

SJ, I installed the update, but with no luck. Still the same effect when I replace the contents of the elements.cfg, ship floats above water and alert noises. But once again, when I delete elements.cfg, everything goes back to normal.

Maybe your right SJ, maybe it is the demo. Maybe there is something about the coding of the sim in demo mode then there is in the full version, but I won't be able to confirm that until I get the full version. As for now, I'll just have to wait it out, unless SJ, you have any more suggestions?

Best regards,

Carter
CarterTheCargoMan

PreviousNext

Return to Boat WIPs