W.I.P Batillus Class Supertankers

Working on something cool? This is where you can tell everyone about it.

W.I.P Batillus Class Supertankers

Postby CarterTheCargoMan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:09 am

Hello fellow Quality Simulation fans,

I am here to post a couple of screens of the WIP I am working on, the ship is the Pierre Guillaumat, one of the 4 Batillus Class Supertankers, which I hope to model the rest as well, but I am starting with the Pierre Guillaumat.

I am not a Google Sketchup pro, but I think this model is coming along nice so far, but please keep in mind, I am going for the best possible look to the real thing, and this is my first attempt at it, I am just opening up this thread for future updates and edits, and to save me some time in the future.

Please tell me your honest thoughts about the WIP Pictures, if you are going to criticize, I don't care, but please keep in mind I am a beginner with moderate knowledge. Criticizism is what keeps a creator going, and any tips or tricks from you guys will be fine also.

Also the photos are of a beta version of the ship, and unless the community really likes it when its done, I will not be releasing it. If the vision in my head becomes a reality, I see a future for these ships, I really do. I am creating a beta version of the ship because I want to see where I am going with this project, I already know some things aren't right, but thats just how it is when you first start something. I will remake this ship many times over to get the feel of ship, and won't stop until it is perfect. But for now, this is still a big WIP, and it will be for sometime to come.

Here are the photos:
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i47 ... IPPic4.png
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i47 ... IPPic3.png
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i47 ... IPPic2.png
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i47 ... IPPic1.png

Best regards,

Carter
CarterTheCargoMan

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: W.I.P Batillus Class Supertankers

Postby PBHtankerman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:28 am

Like the project!

Your first attempt looks like my first bad attempt at mastering Sketchup (don't take it personally). Don't give up just keep trying/experimenting.

There are some here that have an extraordinary talent at understanding 3 dimensional space on their PC. Alas, I do not have that part of the brain that can master that craft even although I can program in C++ and a master teacher at MS Excel and other software programs. What's with that - I don't know.

So don't look for me for help for your 'virtual' model in Sketchup but there are loads of advice online to help you. So, go for it.

I do enjoy building scratch built models in real space using wood, poly and card. Always try to start with a General Arrangement Plan and Mid Ship Section plan of the ship which will show you the cross section 'slices' of the hull lines. If you write to the actual owning company they probably will send you these plans for free especially that these ships are all scrapped now.

The BATILLUS series of ships had rather simple bows (no bulbous bow under the waterline) and none had the flair of the older SEAWISE GIANT.
The builders of the SEAWISE GIANT were very concerned about the longitudinal strength of the ship when they increase her length so they built the huge raised strengthening panels port and starbourd on the deck. Nothing had been built that large before!

Keep it up. Post your progess please.

Peter @PBHtankerman
PBHtankerman

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby CarterTheCargoMan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:35 am

Thank you Peter!

The Batillus Class did have very simple bows, the only thing that seems to be a hassle is the width of the deck right now, what I'm plaining on doing is taking a photograph and measuring the width of the bow and converting that to the scale of the model, which I will later fully scale in Deep Exploration, which I am currently trying to get, but they still haven't sent me an email yet. :x

If this project happens to be a success, maybe I will continue to make models for Google Sketchup, but needless to say that this project will be a hassle, and many difficulties will become present sooner or later, hopefully sooner so I can figure them out faster. Anyways, glad your on board with the project! Hopefully the accomplishments I make each day will be sufficient enough to post, glad to see some support. :D

As for the idea on writing to the companies, seems like a novel idea. I might try that, not only would it be great for the project, I could also see the details in-depth about these magnificent giants.

Thanks Peter,

Carter
CarterTheCargoMan

Postby CarterTheCargoMan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:54 am

Hello again,

I decided to scrap the old one as the thin-ness of the deck made the ship look like a noodle, but never fear I have hopefully fixed that. The new WIP photos I have now are of the ship with (hopefully) the right width of the deck, and it looks better already. Right now the pictures are only of the new deck as well as the front of the bow, where the guarder is.

I will hopefully resume work tomorrow, and get some of the bow done.

I have included some pictures, tell me what ya think. Now keep in mind, this is another test run. Not everything has to be absolutely perfect, as this is not the final product. Just think of it as my rough-draft to a 20 page paper. Tell me what you guys think, I personally think it's looking much better.

The photos:
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i47 ... P2Pic1.png
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i47 ... P2Pic2.png
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i47 ... P2Pic3.png

Cheers!

Carter
CarterTheCargoMan

*UPDATE*

Postby CarterTheCargoMan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:19 pm

Please disregard the above post,

I realized too late that the deck was too big, but luckily for me I found a drawing of Batillus, which has a side view and a deck view, which is great progress on this model. I have included some pictures of the new progress on the ship, which hopefully is the right width of the deck, I think it looks perfect. I also have located a bridge photo of Batillus, so modeling the bridge will not be an issue.

@Peter: I am thinking very hard about sending a letter to STX France, which is where the Batillus Class was built. I want you to verify (if you know), is this the right address for the letter:
SAINT-NAZAIRE
STX France SA​​​
Avenue Antoine Bourdelle
BP 90180
F- 44613 Saint-Nazaire Cedex
France

I have also read in another forum that back in the '70s a guy sent a letter there, and even he got the plans. So if he got them while they were in-service, I should have no trouble getting them now. Thanks for that idea, I never would have thought of that.

I have included some pictures of the brand-new model, so here ya go:
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i47 ... P3Pic3.png
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i47 ... P3Pic2.png
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i47 ... P3Pic1.png

Cheers!

Carter
CarterTheCargoMan

Postby CarterTheCargoMan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Hey guys, back with another update.

I have started to model the bridge of Batillus. I know I said I was going to do Pierre Guillaumat first, but it just seems right to start with Batillus, after all, the class is named after her. And yes, I still plan on doing all ships.

I think the bridge looks pretty good so far, I have modeled the main tower as well as the back building where the smokestacks stand. I may start modeling the smoke stacks tomorrow, I don't know, I will have to see what is on the agenda for tomorrow. The ship looks like it's starting to take shape, this may in-fact be the final version, if everything goes well. But in no way will this be done soon. I will start the bridge interior after the bridge building is complete, or I may model the interior of the bridge as the last thing before the ship is completed, I don't know.

I have included some pictures, enjoy:
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i47 ... IPPic6.png
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i47 ... IPPic5.png
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i47 ... IPPic4.png

Cheers!

Carter

*NOTE*

I understand in the very top left corner it says Pierre Guillaumat, I still have yet to change the filename.
CarterTheCargoMan

Postby spookymufu » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:09 am

hey CarterTheCargoMan, if you put the img tag in front of your image link and the ending img tag after it, we'll see the pics in your post...
spookymufu

Postby CarterTheCargoMan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:00 am

spookymufu wrote:hey CarterTheCargoMan, if you put the img tag in front of your image link and the ending img tag after it, we'll see the pics in your post...

Thanks spookymufu, the reason I wasn't doing that was because I didn't want to violate any screenshot rules or what-not, if you guys had any. I will keep that in mind for the next post. ;)

Carter
CarterTheCargoMan

Postby PBHtankerman » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:12 am

Just caught up with your project.

Looks like you have the right dimensions now and ready to make someprogress. I will get back to you on where to get the plans. They are going to be LARGE (1/100' or 1/200'). I found that the builders usually need permission from the owner to release plans so maybe I can get you the owner address. Make sure you ask for a MIDSHIP SECTION PLAN which will give the hull lines in 2 dimensions. Each hull line will correspond to a "slice" of the side elevation of the ship shown on the GENERAL ARRANGEMENT PLAN so you can build the correct hull lines in the right place along the hull. The GA Plan will almost always gives you a plan of each deck of the accommodation plus a front view (i.e. looking aft).

I built a model of the infamous TORREY CANYON (120,000 dwt) which came to grief on the Seven Stones Reef off Cornwall. Not sure why, but I got a bill for $400 for copying the plans! They waived it when I told them why I needed them so make sure you advise who you are and why you need the plans ok!

One of the "must have" things in modelling in any media is to get your hands on a set of plans. All measurements must be made from such. I guess a dose of patience works well also!

A great source of all things tanker (pictures) is Auk Vissers VLCC/ULCC site (Google it) . There are loads of pictures of the Batillus class there with a whole set "Building the Batillus". A real challenge for you is to get the twin screw arrangement and rudders right. I was not sure you know these ships had quite a complex twin screw arrangement. Take a look and you will see what I mean.

Lastly, remember VSF7 works in feet. Everything else is meters.

Peter @PBHtankerman
PBHtankerman

Postby CarterTheCargoMan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:42 am

Thanks Peter,

If you could get back to me with that address, that would be swell. Hopefully they will give me the plans, but I hope they aren't too big. I want to be able to put these on a computer and import them into Google Sketchup with the Match Photo feature, that way I can trace them and get the right dimensions. If you have noticed, there is a 2D model in the middle of the 3D model, I traced that from a drawing and built that off of the top down feature, which provided the deck width, and also the size and width of the bridge, which was also included in the same drawing.

As for Auke Vissor's International Supertankers site, I've been visiting that site for awhile now, it's my favorite place to go if I need pictures and/or dimensions of ships, and other details such as IMO numbers. That is where I also got the drawing as described above.

I will be sure to ask for a MIDSHIP SECTION PLAN, and two of the Batillus Class ships were owned by the French oil company, Shell Oil, which was Batillus and Bellamya. The other two, Pierre Guillaumat and Prairial were also owned by a French oil industry, Elf Aquitaine. And yes, I am perfectly aware of the twin screws and propellers, and when the time comes for modeling it, I will rely on the drawings and Auke Vissor's site to model them. I am also aware that VSF works in feet, all Batillus vessels are 1,359 feet and 0 inches, quite easy to remember.

Best regards,

Carter
CarterTheCargoMan

Next

Return to Boat WIPs