RMS Oceanic (1899)

Working on something cool? This is where you can tell everyone about it.

RMS Oceanic (1899)

Postby StarStack » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:24 pm

Hello!

My name is StarStack, and I am new to these Fourms. I registered for these forums just to anouce my first project: White Star Line's RMS Oceanic, laid down in 1897 and completed in 1899. She truly set a new standard in ocean travel, for both the White Star, and the rest of the world.

Here are some progress shots of the ship:

She is supposed to be poly light, only 2,790 polys. I did this so everyone would be able to use it on lower end computers.

More updates coming soon.
StarStack

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Re: RMS Oceanic (1899)

Postby varoun » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:43 pm

Welcome to the forum :D :D :D :D
VAROUN

Lets save this forum and make it active as before!!
varoun

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby arraialp » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:15 am

Welcome to all ... :)
Nice start StarStack ... but i can give you a advice? take it if you want of course, you don't have to go only with 2900 polys for VS this polys is used generally for the last lod in games in the reality i know games who use 5 lods and even the last one the lod5 have more polys then your poly limit target.
A very good low poly and high efficient model in VS can go to 20 000 polys for very low end machines dependent how you build the model , if you attached all separated mesh in one single mesh leaving only movable parts separated and not many little textures you get a very efficient model for week computers. The average computers can manage very well a 60 000 polys and that's is the limit for this computers don't start to lagging with low Frame rates if the model are not build it in the proper and correct way. :)
arraial
arraialp

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby StarStack » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:20 am

New Davits:

StarStack

Postby StarStack » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:30 pm

I rebuilt the Bow today:

And the Bridge:

The poly count is now up to 5,346. I will be rebuilding the Stern next.
StarStack

Postby StarStack » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:33 pm

She's now in the game!
StarStack

Postby mrichmond89 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:44 am

if u need any help please contact me
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
Eleanor Roosevelt
mrichmond89
Global Moderator

Postby Andrew » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:34 am

Hiya StarStack, and Welcome to the Forum! :D

I particulary am quite interested in this project of yours. You seem to have a really good start on the Oceanic. She is looking quite superb. I do want to suggest you do the following though.

Smoothing out the hull, and the funnels- It will make the world of a difference when it comes to the shape of a hull and funnels. You dont want to see those lines going down a clyindrical shape or seeing blocky patches on a hull. Smoothing deminishes these and overall will make your ship look better 10 fold!

Another thing will be textures! I do hope you plan on using them as i can not stress to you enough how much more realistic textures will make your ship look versus the colors that are offered in Sketchup. Now the colors arent necessarily a bad thing at all, they are a good starting tool, but textures will make your hull much more definied and appealing to the eye (not that it isnt right now :lol: )

The davits. These davits for Oceanic are quite hard to make and it makes it that much harder when these were the standard up until around the time of the OYLMPIC class. I would like to ask you if you might be interested in this davit i made as it would make your ship look so much more accurate.
DAVIT.jpg

If you are interested in the davit, or anything else i may have that can help you, feel free to PM me! :D

I see you have alot of potential and if you make the right connections with the right people on here. Trust me, your modeling experience will unfold right before your eyes.

Good luck and i hope to see more with this ship! :D

Warm Regards,
-Andrew
Were you in the boat when the boat tipped over?
No, silly. I was in the water!
Andrew
Global Moderator

Postby StarStack » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:05 am

Thanks for all the wonderful comments! Here are some answers to your questions Andrew:

The Davits- these are temporary, mostly put there for the profile look of the Oceanic. Also, I would like to take you up on that offer; I'll drop you a PM with my email.

Textures- Of course! I have always made custom textures when modeling, because its one of my pet peeves when you have a good model, and cruddy textures.

Smoothing out the Hull- this is the last step. After all tha modeling, all the texturing, and all the other stuff thrown in there, smoothing out will begin. It was something I planned from the beginning.

Thanks for the support guys, its really appreciated! I enjoy modeling ships, it's fun. This is turning out better than I had ever imagened and I can't wait to see what the future holds. Let this be the start of the revival of the White Star Line!

StarStack
StarStack

Postby Andrew » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:42 am

I threw in a little bonus for you as well :D
Were you in the boat when the boat tipped over?
No, silly. I was in the water!
Andrew
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Boat WIPs