Arctic AHTS offshore vessel

Working on something cool? This is where you can tell everyone about it.

Arctic AHTS offshore vessel

Postby Roaring40s » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:02 pm

I am following the boards since VS 5 and after a few years having a VS sabbatical I am back here at the forum and back into 3D-designing. It is good to see the forum is still alive and kicking and with still the veterans onboard.
Although I am more a VS person instead of VSF kept the focus in modeling purely on VS. There have been made nice models for VSF, I miss the aspects and potentials of VS in the marine aspects of vessel behaviour. VS 8 is still far away, but I am patient. If Ilan will go for it, he has a beautiful product in his hands to compete with for example Ship Simulator Extremes which has it lacks and is in the meantime a dead project as they passed on to professional simulators designing.

As said, haven't done 3D-designing for the past years, computers and tools are more powerful now and capable of handling more complex models. So as a starter I dusted off my 'mothball fleet' and continued where I stopped with my last model.
This is an AHTS with icebreaking capacities loosely based on an existing design. The model is far from finished and in the meantime I have other ideas than back then. The bridge layout will be very precise in details as it should be on a real offshore workboat. The deck layout will be the same corresponding with how it should be for offshore handling with accurate details.

How the ship will be launched is still in doubts. In the past I had my doubts towards payware and supported freeware, but recently I found out that one of my earlier models is in use by a company that is using it now with profit in professional simulators sold to nautical training institutes. This has been done without my authorisation and I found out by googling the net. I know models can be encripted as .xx but I am not busy yet with dealing copyrights, encrypting, payware aspects, etc.

Cheers,
Roaring40s
Roaring40s

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Re: Arctic AHTS offshore vessel

Postby SvenDC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:01 pm

Sweet that looks super detailed.You should add textures to the hull and some other parts.Adds more detail.
SvenDC

Postby varoun » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Looks great!! :D :D
VAROUN

Lets save this forum and make it active as before!!
varoun

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby kostas11 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:20 pm

Welcome back Roaring and my compliments for your ship. A nice ship with a strange beauty :)
but i suggest you to try VSF. it is more...more powerful and wonderful from VS
kostas11

Postby Sailorjohn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:38 am

As stated 'elsewhere' Robert, I agree wholeheartedly with Kostas and Coleco. Your modelling is superb, and it deserves the realistic sim environment that only VSF can give.
Sailorjohn

Postby Canon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:03 am

Very nice model, love the look of these vessel. Keep up to good work :)
CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core E5300 [at] 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
- Abraham Lincoln
Canon

Postby MacScampie » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:08 am

As a tug and offshore maniac i can only welcome it .
I am a big fan of your ships , i only can say wooooow . looking forward to it ;)
MacScampie

Postby Roaring40s » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:42 pm

Okay, I have followed your advice and will continue on this one for Vehicle Simulator ;)
Roaring40s

Postby Sharpy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:35 pm

Aloha.
Very Nice Vessel.!!
I can't help but notice that you seem to be using my decks in your boat.
Not a problem, (and I could be wrong) but you could have asked. That is if I am correct.

Steve (Sharpy)
Sharpy

Postby Roaring40s » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:31 am

Thanks Sharpy,

Just to be sure, everything is custom made in this model. Most textures are photographed by myself from real ships.
As for the wood textures, I use the program Woodworkshop. All the wood textures are unique made in Woodworkshop.
It is however possible that I look closely to your superbe yachts to see how close you can get to accurate woodtextures, just to compare if I am working into the right direction. But all these textures are custom made in Woodworkshop.
A nice program in which to my opinion I try to be a perfectionist. It means also that the wooden planks might not be the final textures and could be changed later on if I change my mind regarding colours, patterns or scratches in the planks.
Regarding the model, I am taking Sailorjohns advice to move the ship to Vehicle Simulator and stop developing for Virtual Sailor. The work was ceased for a long time, but Vehicle Simulator looks promising.

Best regards,

Roaring40s
Roaring40s

Next

Return to Boat WIPs