Feature Requests

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
elliot1396

Feature Requests

Post by elliot1396 »

It is a pleasure to be rejoining the Virtual Sailor community with the highly anticipated Virtual Sailor NG. I have been using Virtual Sailor and Vehicle simulator since 2009 and I'm very happy to hear of Virtual Sailor NG.

I have come to throw in my thoughts of what I believe would increase the immersion of the existing simulator as we sail towards the Next Generation.

1. Joystick Axis Response Curves:
The Joystick functionality in Vehicle Simulator (Which I'm assuming VSNG Will be based on) is easy to use and for the most part, fantastic. I think we would benefit from the ability to make Response Curves. This will allow (for those of you that are new to response curves) us to manipulate the link between input and output for controlling our vessels. There are many joysticks and control interfaces these days that we like to use. The ability to edit the curve on axis not only allows us to get a more accurate control experience in VS, but also gives the opportunity to make the most out of our hardware.

Below is a screenshot from the X-Plane 11 Response Curve Settings as an idea.

2. Water Configuration Presets:
There is no other simulator that gives us such versatile control over the water settings. As you know, one of the biggest effects on maritime is water and the weather.
I spend countless hours configuring water, perhaps darker blue and more agressive out at sea, and a little greener and calmer inland. I find myself having to modify this time after time. It would be fantastic to have a small set of presets that can be stored by the user (perhaps in a dropdown menu within the 'Water Settings' Menu?)and activated. This can include all the parameters within the existing 'Water Settings' Menu.

3. Marine Chart Export to PDF.
This would be a fantastic feature. Some way to export the (already fantastic) in-game charts for the user to print and be able to practice navigation with Fixes and Triangulation. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one here to enjoy this. I'm definitely a bit of a 'Data-Guy' myself and enjoy referencing charts and practicing navigation in this way. It would definitely add some immersion to the sailing experiences in particular.
The reasons for requesting an export feature of the in-game chart as opposed to finding your location in reality and downloading real charts is that there would always be descrepencies between the modelled world and the real one. Atleast this way, we would be able to guarantee that our exported PDF chart resembles the simulation exactly.

4. New Ships
People will have mixed opinions on this one!
I believe that the current ingame ships (although they've served us well for many years) are in need of some love and modifying in order to live up to the brilliant quality of the NG Graphics (particularly the water) which I've been able to observe from the Screenshots in another thread, and also Ilan Papini's youtube channel where he showcases some of the new features. (This can be found here along with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB4mn8Fehtc).
I am aware (and Ilan will probably vouch for this too) that some of the user-created vessels are brilliant and can be downloaded. Whist I totally agree, I believe it would be nice to have a new set of ships to give the simulator a definitive 'NG' Aesthetic.

Thank you for your time in reading this!
Elliot
Sailorjohn

Re: Feature Requests

Post by Sailorjohn »

Great input, Elliot. And thanks for the NGVS videos...I agree, the water and spray seem a quantum leap beyond the dated vessels. There are of course many excellent vehicles already in VSF, but many are payware, so Ilan doesn't use those in his vids.
Victor

Re: Feature Requests

Post by Victor »

I particularly like the export chart section.

Victor