Liverpool 1785 to Ellesmere Port and further

This is where you can (and should) show off your scenery projects.

Re: Liverpool 1785 to Ellesmere Port and further

Postby itsme » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:38 pm

Once filled with all the assets, this will be a fine scenery, Barry.
Cheers, Reino.
itsme

Postby Sailorjohn » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:48 am

Barry...I really enjoy this period scenery...so much so that I laboriously sailed 18 correct period VS sailing vessels into Liverpool and one by one moored or anchored every one...and set up a whole series of waypoints throughout your 5 adjoining sceneries. I saved it as '1785'. I then got each vessel underway to follow the waypoints...and saved that as 'sail'. Then you updated the Liverpool scenery, which I downloaded and installed. AND IT WIPED OUT BOTH CRUISES!!! Why did you change the name of the scenery each time you updated??? You realize that in VS that invalidates any saved cruise using the scenery? Even when I tried to correct the scenery title in both saved cruises...I was plopped into the South Atlantic...no land...no waypoints!
Let me suggest that all future updates of existing scenery use the same name, at least on the innermost folder. It would save a great deal of aggravation.
Sailorjohn

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby Sailorjohn » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:23 pm

Barry...somehow I get the feeling you missed my point entirely.
If you change the name of a scenery every time you issue even a minor update, it ruins any saved cruises using the previous version of that scenery. Even if the user edits the scenery name in the saved cruise cfg, VS ignores the 'new' scenery and randomly places you thousands of miles away...and all your waypoints are gone...even though the VS map shows the name of the chosen scenery, there's no 'there' there. That may be due in part to VS confusion over having 2 sceneries covering the same area. It seems to me there's no need to change the name...simply issue an update using whatever designation you choose, but ensure the folder name inside the zipfile is the same as before. If you don't think the new one should simply overwrite the old, tell users to first delete the old one.
I had to reinstall v4 to restore my 2 saved cruises; fortunately I hadn't emptied the recycle bin. So now I can't use the new v5 without losing the saves. I could rename v5 to v4 I suppose...but I'd have to rename every subsequent update as well.
Something to think about.
Sailorjohn

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Return to Scenery WIPs