Pilot switch position relvent to tack

This is where you can post your requests for new features for VS. Wishes will be collected and sent to Ilan for consideration.
Forum rules
- ALLWAYS check here HERE AND HERE before submitting a new wish (to avoid duplicates)
- Do not post any wishes for Boats or Scenery in this category!
- Be brief and to the point with the requests (preferably dotpoint to outline details).
- Create a new post for each wish and give them appropriate subjects.

Forum rules. Please make yourself familiar with these points.

Pilot switch position relvent to tack

Postby Sharpy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:05 am

Feature:
The ability to have the pilot switch between two positions depending on the tack - Port/Stbd.
This would allow for much more logical placement of pilots especially aboard Sailboats.
Last edited by Sharpy on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharpy

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Re: Hiking out and trapeze

Postby Sailorjohn » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:42 am

Visually, that's true...but if you specify crew_mass of, say 100kg or so...you can shift your position back and forth using numkeys End/PgDn...thereby 'hiking out' on each tack...as far as you dare. I've tried it in a number of small dinghies like the Optimist, Bathtub, etc...you've gotta be quick on those roll tacks!
Sailorjohn

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby Sharpy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:49 am

Wow, trippy SJ.
I guess what I was wanting was a way to have a pilot show up on the appropriate tack, and with inherent weight...... it would look so cool with f2 viewing.
A planing 505 with crew hiked out!
Oh, never mind. darn cropping, right click and click view image.
Sharpy

Postby Victor » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:42 am

So being able to shift weight from side to side already exists yes? The crew_mass is an element of the cfg file which is usually provided by the modeller, which each user can modify to suit their own preferences.

Victor
Victor
Forum Administrator

Postby ron » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:11 pm

Yeah, the dynamics are already present in VS (using the crew_mass) as described above? I think the issue here is about the pilot.x (the visual aspect of crew_mass) shifting between a port tack and a starboard tack.

That's a genuine request which should be on the "wish list". I'm seconding that one, it would be a very usefull upgrade.
Cheers,

Ron
ron

Postby Sharpy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:02 pm

Thanks Ron,
That made more sense than I did.
To have "pilots" that switch positions depending on the tack would open up this and other possibilities. You could easily have a pilot hiking out on the straps, ooh so cool!
And a pilot on a boat such as the Swan (with two helms), would switch to the windward helm. Nice!
Sharpy

Postby Sailorjohn » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:27 am

As a matter of fact, late in VS 6.8 the default version of Ilan's sailboat had several crude animated pilot figures (looked like naked manikins). Among these was a figure sitting on the weather foredeck. Upon tacking, that figure rose, walked across the deck, and resumed sitting on the new weather rail. Others cranked winches, and of course one steered and waved. This was around the time Ilan first introduced the pilot.x function. Unfortunately, VS7 superceded that version, and instead had a revised sailboat with the sole default pilot we see today.
I surmise Ilan would remember that sailboat crew, and might provide insight on the functionality.
Sailorjohn

Postby ron » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:43 pm

Yeah SJ, I remember that, it was\were nice feature(s).
Between 6 and 7 more features were lost, one that struck me was the anchor function (anchor.x).
Cheers,

Ron
ron

Postby Victor » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:09 am

It would appear that the feature wished for is the ability to get a pilot to shift sides when tacking, may I ask Sharpy to paraphrase the request and change the tile please ?

Victor
Victor
Forum Administrator

Re: Pilot switch position relvent to tack

Postby Victor » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:41 am

Thanks Sharpy. I'll add it to the pending submission list.

Victor
Victor
Forum Administrator

Return to Features Wishlist