Submitted Wish List

This is where you can post your requests for new features for VS. Wishes will be collected and sent to Ilan for consideration.
Forum rules
- ALLWAYS check here HERE AND HERE before submitting a new wish (to avoid duplicates)
- Do not post any wishes for Boats or Scenery in this category!
- Be brief and to the point with the requests (preferably dotpoint to outline details).
- Create a new post for each wish and give them appropriate subjects.

Forum rules. Please make yourself familiar with these points.

Submitted Wish List

Postby Victor » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:51 pm

This is the list submitted to Ilan together with his comments as to whether they are doable, possible or out of scope. I will add to it as we submit new requests. This is a reference document, not a discussion one. Ilan's comments are in RED

ROPES

Ropes.cfg that lets you specify where the dock lines, anchor and towlines start from.

Ok, will be done.

LINES:

Separate models for anchor (chain?) and mooring/tow (rope/cable) lines.

Ok, will be done.

CFG Parameters

New hydro parameters. I'd like to see a second set of hydro functions that can be used to set the "one step speeds" for the hull. It would give you a cdf, speed and angle parameter. This would allow boats to be set up with a rising bow as they came on plane. It would also allow more realistic behaviour of increasing drag as you came up to planing speed then it dropping off.

Ok, will be done.

ANIMATIONS

Scriptable animations for pilots and boats. these would use keywords that vs tracks, things like steering, reefing sails and more. It would work just like the current pilot animations where you specify a parameter and the frames that should be animated. It could also have a parameter to change between position controlled (steering and throttles), looping (pilot loops) and play once animations (turning on lights).

Ok, will be done.

Adding more flexible animations would open huge possibilities too. I've tried animating things like sheets using the existing sheeting animations but it don’t work since VS loops the animation repeatedly. This seems like it would be a pretty simple change that would allow boat builders to greatly expand the realism of boats. Look at what people like Jonatan have managed to do with the current stuff and then imagine what could be done if we had some actual control over how things were animated

Ok, will be done.

TEXTURES

Multiple texture folders. this could be done similar to MSFS. Each boat would have a model folder that contained the model. Then there could be x number of texture folders, a base one called "textures" that contains common bitmaps, and texture1 through texture-X that contains different bitmaps. This would allow something like the fountain to only have one boat folder but multiple paintjobs. The texture data could be easily passed through for multiplayer games too.

Not compatible with new engine.

ONLINE MULTIPLAYER

More robust and secure multiplayer.

I will check how to do it.

Only the host can change weather and time

Ok, will be done.

Participants can "call a vote" and disconnect an uncooperative player if a majority vote to kick them. the player's IP would be logged on the host and could be set for a timed delay before they can re-enter or permanently banned. (HP_Owner ?)

Not planned.

Server and Local waypoints.

This would allow individual players to set their own waypoints, but also see the host’s waypoints for reference.

Ok, will be done.

Password protected sessions so I.P address can be published but not everyone can enter.

Not planned.

Please note there is the possibility of achieving this result by using hamachi

The chat function interferes with other operations i.e. one has to leave the chat before one is able to se keyboard or mouse to do something else.

Ok, will be done.

CREWING

Ability of “captain” to allocate task to other players on same ship e.g. steering; engines; maps

Ok, will be done.

ENGINES

More detailed engines. I'd like to see an engine (x). cfg where we can specify things like hp, torque, idle and max rpm, gear ratios, prop size, and power curve. This would allow us to have engines that not only do not shut off with the throttle at 0 but behave in a more realistic manner. Prop rpm will be controlled by these parameters, so you could build a tug with a huge slow prop or a speedboat with fast small one. the power curve could be a problem, but it could be done as simple as a few precaned, one nice flat curve, one with lots of low end power and not much top end and one without much low end and tons of top end power.

Ok, will be done.

Trim tabs.

Ilan has coded this for the VS engine. Years ago there was a bennet trim tab version of VS that functioning trim tabs, I've always wondered why this never trickled down to VS, it appears the hydro parameters it uses did!

Ok, will be done.

Closer clipping plane -

I want to get in tight spaces without half my boat disappearing!

Ok, will be done.

CAMERA

Better "first person view" I'd like to see a parameter that sets the camera "walking height" and have it maintain that height above the polygon below it, allowing a player to more easily walk around boats.

Ok, will be done.

The ability to look down. On the bridge wing one can look in any direction at eye level but not downwards. This feature is required for berthing/ unberthing ships.

Already implemented, using right mouse panning, and numeric keyboard.

WEATHER

More weather parameters. Mainly related to waves. Right now wavelength is hard coded. I'd like the ability to adjust the length, period, and height of the waves. On the Bay you get short fast waves, out on the east coast ocean you get long slow waves.

Ok, will be done.

Another thing would be to import real data like MSFS does. I'm sure NOAA has a site where this can be pulled from for free.

I will try, cannot promise.

"Wave maps"

This would be part of scenery and basically lower wave height in a similar fashion to how height or depth is calculated. it would allow protected areas to have smaller waves without adjusting the weather for the entire map. Think of sailing around a breakwater in 5 foot waves and as you enter the harbour behind it the waves drop down to a few inches...without changing the weather.

Ok, will be done.

WAVE PERIOD:

adjustable slider to increase/decrease distance between crests

Ok, will be done.

SMOKE

suggested whistle steam and constant smoke functions to be added for the smokes.cfg so it would look more realistic. And I've also suggested using que points in the horn wav files to loop the sound like in MSTS.

The possibility to have two horns. And an optional sound file for the throttle so I can get that telegraph brring.

Not planned.

SMOKE DENSITY:

Should be adjustable, so that a thin plume of smoke doesn't have to be reduced in size, looking like little cotton balls.

Not planned.

In addition to the volume being proportional to engine load, the smoke at a lower density should be visible, when the ship is idling i.e. engine running but not making way.

Ok, will be done.

TOWING

The ability to push and side tow. Tugs and tow boats are limited with out this capability.

Already implemented, but I will try to improve.

The ability to connect and release pushed objects. Prefect example is Cigdrivers barges / towboat

CARGO

The ability to load / unload ships. When you enter a certain point on a map, your ship or barge would appear to load with a given cargo. When you reach a second point, it would appear to empty. Weights of the cargo could also be factored in.

LIGHTS

Operating searchlights

Ok, will be done.

Prototypical Navigation lights. (Tow and tug boats particularly, but this would also include mooring and running light on other craft

Ok, will be done.

individually controllable lights: nav/anchor/task/special/etc
These elements should feature in a cfg file. Similar to the lights.cfg file. Towing lights and their position on the ship should feature in the file as other operations / information lights such as Restricted in ability to manoeuvre; not under command etc.

Ok, will be done.

SAIL:
Realistic sailboat
Ability to manually set boat speed's for different angles to the wind in a cfg (that includes the size of irons) -different for each boat model

Realistic dagger board and rudder fin controls -effecting boat model simulation.

Ok, will be done.

Realistic sail controls and set-up.

Wind indicators on sails

Ok, will be done.

Realistic spinnaker controls.

Ability to control each sail individually

Ability to set in cfg different effectiveness of sails in different angles to the wind (depending on sail type).

Ok, will be done.

The ability to control how effective sails are on different points of sail would also be a big improvement

Ok, will be done.

SAIL MOVEMENT:

Range of port/starboard swing of sails adjustable in cfg, to prevent sails swinging through fixed rigging...and limiting windward pointing of gaff/square rigs

Ok, will be done.

SAIL FURLING:

Ability to have square sails reef/furl upward to their respective yards, instead of coming down like Venetian blinds; requires individual sail controls.

Ok, will be done.

SAILBOAT WAKE:

add a centreline wake; they DO cause major water turbulence as they approach hull speed

Ok, will be done.

WIND SHADOW:

I think it's currently overdone. I recently overtook a smaller (60') sailboat, in a larger (75')...passed over 1,000m to leeward...and became perpetually trapped in the windshadow of a smaller boat over 1/2 mile to windward!?!, In the real world, the rule of thumb is wind shadow exists for a horizontal distance roughly equal to 10 times the height of the object causing the 'shadow'...and as you'd expect, the effect is greatest right alongside, gradually diminishing with increased distance. In VS, it's binary...either 'on' or 'off'...and if you're in the 'on' range...at least 1,000m...you're stuck there forever

Ok, will be done.

WEAPONS

FRIEND/FOE:

ability to designate within a cruise boats as Friend or Foe. Foe will shoot at you whenever you're within range; friend will NOT shoot at you even when you're shooting nearby.

Not planned.

SALVO:

ability to designate a group of weapons for simultaneous fire on common target

Not planned.

ANCHORING/BERTHING

ANCHOR DEFAULT:

have AI boats anchor, instead of mooring, when clicking 'Anchor' in Boats Tab, like they did before VS 7.

Ok, will be done.

RAFTING:

ability to moor alongside another boat; related to Cig's comments about forming/nesting barge tows above

DOCKING BUG:

eliminate the VS 7 docking bug that causes uncontrollable ricochets when merely touching an object like a wharf.

Ok, will be done.

A "tie-up" interface.

This would be a popup dialog box like the radar. It would show your boat in the centre and other boats around you. Each boat would have boxes at the rope points specified in ropes.cfg. You would then click on one point and drag to another on a different boat and VS would bind them with a rope. Perhaps there could also be a way to specify the tension in the rope, allowing things like setting up a series of barges that are held together firmly.

The ability to tie up to piers and bulkheads without colliding

Ok, will be done.

DAMAGE

damage model based upon ratio of shot size to boat mass or length, as opposed to current 'four strikes and you're out'. A 500 kg torpedo or bomb should have vastly greater effect than a 20mm shell!!!

Ok, will be done.

SINKING:

have boats maintain inertia even when damaged/sinking; forward momentum should be maintained. As it is now, no matter how fast a boat is travelling, when VS determines it is sinking, it abruptly stops. It would be more realistic to reduce power (or sail drive) by the percentage of damage received, and simply cut off all power when boat begins to sink and let the inertia continue coasting

Ok, will be done.

OPERATIONAL WINCH.

This can be used in both sail and motor boats / ships. The uses are plenty. E.g Streaming /heaving gear for trawling operations.

Ditto for towing operations

Cargo handling operations

Raising / lowering dinghies ? life boats ?

Anchoring and weighing anchor – The anchor does not weigh itself or stow its chains by the press of a button. There is a lot of manoeuvring involved in addition to heaving the anchor in berthing and unberthing.

Out of scope.

WAKE

The wake is proportional to the forward speed. However, in R/L the wave appears as soon as the props are engaged.

Ok, will be done.

PERSPECTIVE

In a multiple ship scenario, a ship of equivalent size to own ship appears to be some five miles further away. One tends to see the whole ship whereas in R/L from the bridge wing of a frigate say, one only sees a section ahead and abaft the bridge of other ship.

Ok, will be done.

ANGLED RUDDERS:

Not sure.

BOW SPLASH:

origin adjustable in cfg.

Ok, will be done.

BOAT on BOAT:

ability to carry a boat on a boat...like a dinghy on a deck.

FUEL:

Fuel consumption proportional to power setting...i.e., 10% power uses fuel at 1/10 unit/sec; this would make determination of cruising speed really Mean something!

Exists now.

MAP:

option to remove all boats from map...enabling user to practice navigation, and not know where other boats are. I know you can hide other boats by using GPS map but own boat still shows, and you don't have map tools like add/delete waypoints, measure distance/bearing, etc.

MAP ZIGZAGS:

while it may be necessary for VS to 'jump' boats sideways when following diagonal tracks on the map (and I don't think it should be), there's no reason for the boats in view to actually 'jump' as they do now...leaving smoke/wake/bow splash momentarily at their old position.

Ok, will be done.

BOWSPLASH:

should be visible at greater distance, as smoke is...at least a couple miles.

Ok, will be done.

I would also like to have each vessel on an independent course with its own waypoints and designate vessels as Traffic and low poly if possible.

Ok, will be done.

would be nice to be able to have berthing piers so boats ships can moor alongside each other. Tides would be good but maybe that would be difficult, just tides for the ports? some sort of radius setting from shore

As a inland boat floater, scenery means a lot to me. It's hard to make presentable back waters with blocks of terrain the size of a city block, but I guess I'm about talked out on the subject. Smoother terrain mesh

Ok, will be done.

Editable coastlines (sand, stone, riprap etc...)

Ok, will be done.

Direct placement of scenery objects using a graphical interface

Ok, will be done.

Re: scenery...might be an idea to bring up the idea of vector modelling of coastline (bearing/distance), vs pixels, providing more control of shapes

Not compatible with new engine, but new mesh resolution will be much finer than now and it will fix this problem.

Wave-splash when waves break on rocks

Scenery Editor.

To be able to add/ remove elements using a GUI.

Ok, will be done.

Wave

So what we need in the next VS is a wave model that can be adjusted with two parameters (wave and swell) where you can adjust height, length and the period for each wave model
Boat dynamics (all controllable from boat.cfg):

Ok, will be done.

Effects of the Prop wash on steering

_a) In forwards - extra rotation, reduced forward acceleration
_b) In reverse with forward vessel movement - reduced steering effect (I lose nearly all steering on my narrow boats when slowing down).

Hull acts as rudder when moving through the water (i.e. it's harder to turn boat when moving forwards) For example this should automatically give:
_a)Turning circle reduced as speed increases (it remains constant in VS at all speeds, even very fast speeds)
_b)Reduced thrusters effects at higher speeds
_c)Easier towing, especially at slower speeds
_d)Moving turning point (should move forwards with faster speed)

Ok, will be done.

Prop cavitations

reduction in acceleration when prop speed is much different to water speed (e.g. Full throttle from still, full astern from high forward speeds). Shaking and noise added!

As mentioned elsewhere settable thrusters powers - they should also take into account vessel weight, and forward momentum

Ok, will be done.

Reduced rudder effect in reverse

More controllable animated objects on board (e.g. dropping masts, keel boards).

Ok, will be done.

Proper object collision, scarping, bumping, and yes boats do bounce sometimes (different noises for different types)

Ok, will be done.

Proper engine noises, tick over etc. Also could be added is starting noise

Ok, will be done.

Water spray, including proper water effects on glass, window wipers (with sound of course!).

Water spray size (or better bow wave), my dingy looks silly with a big wave at 4 mph!!

Ok, will be done.

Float objects should have a depth setting, and weight for proper movement in waves (I have ships bobbing about like polystyrene).

Ok, will be done.

Viewing distance should be set in objects.cfg and not rely on landscape viewing distance (though this would add extra calculations for object height)

A big movement in camera position should not cause already loaded objects to be reloaded

Ok, will be done.

Objects loaded on the fly (without a pause)

Ok, will be done.

Improved pixel view distance, or other way of providing higher detailing of land

Ok, will be done.

Tidal flow (specified as direction and flow rate at all points with in a scenery)

Variable water height (for tidal points along a river for example)

Different water level areas (for docks, locks, etc) including animated ones

Better control of animated objects, being able to animated objects individually (e.g. lock gates, bridges), or at least by distance control

Ok, will be done.

Animated objects remain in their current animated state even if reloaded.

Sailboats: Improve the logic for traffic sailboats. If proceeding to a waypoint upwind within the 'no go' cone (apparent wind within say 40 deg of bow)...if true wind direction is BETWEEN heading and waypoint course, TACK! Follow the shortest course. Don't sail miles out of the way as the wind shifts against it! When encountering landmass and optimum point of sail cannot be maintained, TACK! Don't keep pointing closer to the wind until caught in irons and making sternway! C'mon...this is Virtual SAILOR! These are simple "IF/THEN" macros...this isn't rocket science

DAY/NIGHT Transitions:

The transitions between dusk/full darkness/dawn are way too abrupt...actually somewhat startling. Daylight gradually fades past sunset until it's 'deep purple' (Gee, what a great name for a song!!! )...then WHAM! pitch dark!!! And dawn sure happens abruptly too (as dawn comes up like thunder out of China 'cross the bay...).

Aircraft Autopilot:
Should hold altitude as well as course, as in R/L. That way, AI aircraft could fly the waypoints, instead of doing ceaseless loops as they do now!

I hate to see aircraft in VS, it is possible i will disable this in VS8.

Submarine Autopilot:

ditto for subs...AP should hold depth, so AI subs could remain at desired depth, providing a challenge for ASW forces.

Ok, will be done.

I'd like to see tide table input. Maybe even a text file of some sort, a cfg. Something that can be placed with the scenery. A simple twenty-four hour period with the max and min at each point. This must be possible. Tides are very important when operating in coastal areas. Some small harbours are high and dry for parts of every day, some you have to wait for the tides to get over the bar. This could help make VS much more realistic, and I can't see that it would be that difficult as the forcast feature is already in place.

What I wish for in VS is the ability on how fast or slow a boat will sink like maybe a slider like fast--------------------------slow, you see what I mean?

Sinking

I'd like that and be able to change whether the bow or stern sinks first and how high the bow/stern raises up out of the water

Id like to see some sort of realistic options like...
Sinking rate based on the speed and severity of how the ship struck something (land, another ship, missile, etc.)
Ships listing and settling on their sides on the bottom.
Maybe if a ship is hit by a large wave, it will list and take time to recover.
Sinking speeds and angles based on the ship's load and stability factors.
If a ship is swamped by a wave completely, it will take on water.

CRUISE SAVE:

provide a few more lines in the Save file for the fol parameters not currently saved:
1. Sails furled/reefed (%) for 'my boat' and AI.
2. Wind gust interval/dir/spd.
3. Stars visible.
4. Boat loading (%) for 'my boat' and AI.
5. Settings for GPS /RADAR.

RADAR:
Currently it displays landmass, boats, 3D objects ashore, and animals (if you zoom in far enough)...but it doesn’t display NAVAIDS...buoys, and offshore lights, or any floating scenery objects! That’s a serious shortcoming in a nautical simulator! I don't understand why it'll show 3D objects connected to land (like piers), but not objects separate from land

Ok, will be done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Centralisez tous vos comptes mails dans Hotmail ! Créez un compte Hotmail, c'est gratuit !
Victor
Forum Administrator

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Return to Features Wishlist