Fixed wing aircraft simulation and compatibility

Discussion area for users participating in Beta testing of Vehicle Simulator. When posting, please try to describe what actions you took to cause a fault/bug to appear.

Re: Fixed wing aircraft simulation and compatibility

Postby JFCL » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi Ilan,
Thanks a lot for the explanation, i hope i will understand better the relationship between the parameters and the polar, i will study the document you sent...
For the models i made, i used empirical methods like: the lift is in propotion to the wing surface, the drag is in proportion to the drag coefficient, the speed is in proportion to the weight... and so on and i started from one existing model you made, say the cirrus, and noted the stall speed and corresponding sink, the min sink, the ratio speed to sink for several speeds and then was able to draw roughly the polar (speed on x axis and sink on -y axis). Then with the empirical relationship, i tried to modify the parameters to reach a given polar. It's a quite long process. I applied this for the three sailplanes i made: emouchet, asw28 and asg29. I think the result is quite acceptable but i was not fully satisfied.
With your explanation, i will try to do better.
Sincerely
Jean-François
JFCL

Postby Red Ocktober » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:46 pm

not sure if this is a bug... but...

has anyone been able to land the Cessna 152 at monterey withthe default wx... as soon as the plane touches down the wheels sound like they're skidding... and eventually the plane raises the upwind wing and plows the nose into the ground...
all sorts of crosswind landing techniques have been tried without success...

me thinks the crosswind component is affecting the plane to much on the ground and causing this behavior...

--Mike
Red Ocktober

Postby Red Ocktober » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:24 pm

it doesn't seem to be just the Cessna that is affected... all planes seem to exhibit this behavior...

i suspect the crosswind component because the runway heading at monterey is 090, and the wind was set from 359 at 14... a direct xwind from the left... and it was the left wing that rose up...

better solution would be to cancel out the wind... i tested it with the wind component from 359 at zero knots, and the plane performed close to what a real cessna 152 does...

--Mike
Red Ocktober

Postby Red Ocktober » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:55 pm

there are no instrument lights... only a cockpit light that seems to act as a floodlight, or backlight, that illuminates the entire cockpit area... this is unrealistic and destroys night vision when transitioning to external dark areas at night...

suggest that an instrument light be added (or some way) to only light up the gauges, and not the entire cockpit and panel...

(the day effect with lighting looks like what i'm talking about... it appears as if only the gauges are lit)...

--Mike
Red Ocktober

Postby ilan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:22 pm

Dear RedOctober,

The short runway in monterey is actually not the best place to land a cessna, i put it more as a sample
of placing some objects and not really as an airfield, i will correct that as i work on the official version.

The reason for the cross wind problem you encountered is the fact that the runway sits on a side of a hill,
and the wind is actually rising or sinking depending on the direction it comes from, if you wish
to see this yourself, turn on the flow field view and check the actual direction of the wind, red means rising blue
means sinking.

Actual runways would not be placed in such a position but on mostly flat places.

Try the runway in the monterey valley or best in the Italy scenery.

Dear Mike,

Thanks for the comment about panel lighting, sounds good, let me check how to add it,
Thank you,

Ilan Papini
Quality Simulations
http://www.hangsim.com
http://www.qualitysimulations.com
ilan

Previous

Return to VSF Beta Testing