Beta 3.0 - Release Candidate is here

Discussion area for users participating in Beta testing of Vehicle Simulator. When posting, please try to describe what actions you took to cause a fault/bug to appear.

Beta 3.0 - Release Candidate is here

Postby ilan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Dear All,

Thank you for your excellent comments, thanks to these i have been able to fix
the remaining issues you have discovered and released beta 3.0 today.

Here is the list of fixes and updates in this beta:

Bug Fixes:

Wheels rotate accurately.
Boat_lenght imported from boat.cfg.
Thunder texture is upside down.
Boats rpm reading not compatible with VS.
Real helicopter effects fixed.
Boat splash sound changed.
Boat buoyancy and inertia fixed.
Boat sinks too fast when broken.
Camera not placed on body part.
Show tips when hud is on.
Add depth control to sub auto pilot.
Some subs flip over when diving.
Canards should rotate upwards.
Option to make camera upright.
Add car specific panel.
Skidding sounds in cars too often.
Accurate track length for GPS.

Others:

Option for using both boat thrusters, using shift.
Rudder instrument controls the rudder.
Thrusters made more accurate.
Save ballast, gas temp, volume in situations.
Add scenery selection to map.
Add effects for boat cannons.
War mode for boats.
Horn sound for boats and net play.
Added toolbar.
Special sounds for different engine types.

Please post below any issues you discover, fixing these i will make the official version.
Thank you,

Ilan Papini
Quality Simulations
http://www.hangsim.com
http://www.qualitysimulations.com
ilan

Re: Beta 3.0 - Release Candidate is here

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:52 am

Beta 3.0 is a vast improvement, I would say that your nearly there Ilan. Helecopters now fly well!!
The only point that I have found so far is that when applying power to a stationary boat, the bow dips instead of rising as I would have expected.

Overall, I would say that this is very nearly what we are looking for. :D :D
Bob

Postby matto_mati » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:56 am

Hi Ilan,

I don't have much time but I downloaded beta 3.0 and here are the things I found to be problematic:

New toolbar:
As you turn on VSF it will stay on for about half a minute or until you wiggle the mouse.

Land vehicles:
Driving is not better but worse as soon as you drive over a bump in the scenery the vehicle starts shaking up and down in a low amplitude but at a very high rate.
Also the never ending symphony of skids clicks and bumps is also present.
The default panel (press P) it the same as it is for boats I thought you were going to make a special one for land vehicles.

Weapons:
You told me the telescope is not suppose to control the turret of the weapons well it dose but if you turn the HUD on it takes over and the telescope stops controlling the turrets.

War Mode:
In war mode the boats/land vehicles won't shoot up with the cannons. For example if I shoot at the Ranger (remove the missile if you are gonna try this) from a plane the ranger declares war points the cannons at my direction and shoots but shoots horizontally and wont point the cannons up at the plane.

Save:
VSF will save the ballast, gas temp, volume in situations but won't save the wide FOV status and the position like if you are at station 2 or 3.

Roads:
I made a road it goes though some vegetation (trees) and it is impossible to drive on it because while trees don't appear on the road itself they are very close to it and the car constantly bumps into them and stops. Can you make it so that vegetation gives more space to the roads?
matto_mati

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby Red Ocktober » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:49 pm

loaded previous situation into 3.0, and the replay (which was enabled when the last session ended) wouldn't stop running...

had to open one of the other situations...

--Mike
Red Ocktober

Postby ilan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:04 pm

Dear All,

Thanks for the good comments, i am still fixing some last issues, seems like we will have beta 3.1 after all,

Here are the things i have fixed after beta 3.0

speed in marine radar is zero - done
make float and wheels input ( in elements mode ) more user friendly - done
wheels of cars should be softer - done
weapon angles not transferred in replay and netplay - done
add omega and torque to hud - done
telescope does not control weapons - done
move boat and planes directories to vehicles upen startup - done

Still working on auto gyro flight model, i will also check the weapon aiming of boats on planes in war mode,
if you find other stuff please let me know or post here as soon as possible so we can wrap this up.
Thank you,

Ilan Papini
Quality Simulations
http://www.hangsim.com
http://www.qualitysimulations.com
ilan

Postby Sailorjohn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Ilan, I made a separate post below re: VSF not remembering boat_alt. Here are a few other 3.0 observations:
1. Boat speed instruments, both in the generic 'boat panel' and those in specific boat panels, now register Airspeed, not speed through the water as before. Try running a fast boat like Ranger upwind, then downwind, and you'll see...speeds are that of relative wind. GPS however still shows speed over ground.
2. Boat speeds shown in Map view are also now Airspeed (relative wind), not speed through water. Certainly this is related to #1 above; I don't think this existed before beta 3.0.
3. I appreciate your explanation re: use of 'wing' or 'engine' to influence trim on faster boats. I suspect the 'elements' parameters could also be used to create controllable trim tabs, stabilizers, and hydrofoils on boats! I also did some tweaking of 'inertia', but without descriptive details about these elements and their values, units of measurement, potential influence, etc...it's a daunting task! Tweaking VS cfgs was a snap by comparison! I can see the tremendous potential for realistic behavior in VSF, but it's going to be a real challenge for modellers and users. I have a degree in naval engineering, including naval architecture, ship construction and stability, fluid dynamics, etc from the Coast Guard Academy...plus over a half-century of seagoing experience...and I'm just barely able to deduce the basics of the dynamics possible in 'elements'. And I'm rapidly becoming an expert on 'the laws of unexpected consequences'! :oops: :lol:

EDIT: Upon further review, I think I know the reason for the airspeed issue in #1 and 2 above. As you suggested, Ilan, I added a small wing in elements to the deadrises to create proper planing angle. VSF now sees the wing and brings up the Aircraft default panel, and shows speed as Airspeed! Can we add some code to make sure if it looks like a boat, acts like a boat, and sounds like a boat...VSF knows it's a Boat!?!
Last edited by Sailorjohn on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sailorjohn

Postby matto_mati » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:55 pm

BUG REPORT:
1) After adding a road in the scenery and made the 2 parts of the road fit perfectly:

I Restarted VSF and:

"Mind the gap" as they say in London.

The coordinates have not changed in the objects file I checked that.

2) I had some fun in war mode after sinking several vehicles I noticed that after VSF is re-started they pop out of the water and go way up sometimes hundreds of feet in the air. Seriously sink a ship wait for a while maybe half a minute and restart VSF. It's quite a show.
matto_mati

Postby Dom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:33 am

Arthur Maiden wrote:Also ive noticed you can anchor a heli to the ground and takeoff and it wont go anywere! :P thats usefull in midair

That feature is especially usefull for instance for decking onto a frigate, where the helo can harpoon the grid of the decking area, like in real life on some of these frigates.

Dom.

Formerly known as Dom ...just in case I follow this currently ongoing silly trend of changing one's screen name...
Dom

Postby danim » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:00 pm

I have notice that there is a limit as to how many vehicles you can have and if you remove a vehicle folder from the vehicle folder VSF still thinks that it is there
danim

Postby itsme » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:07 pm

danim wrote:... if you remove a vehicle folder from the vehicle folder VSF still thinks that it is there

Not the next time you start it.
Cheers, Reino.
itsme

Next

Return to VSF Beta Testing