Beta 3.1 - Release Candidate 2 is here

Discussion area for users participating in Beta testing of Vehicle Simulator. When posting, please try to describe what actions you took to cause a fault/bug to appear.

Re: Beta 3.1 - Release Candidate 2 is here

Postby Sailorjohn » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:54 pm

ron wrote:Hi John,

I found my error! In the zip file there are 2 that should not be there:
Bute.bin and Bute.hdr

You should only have both bute_c files in your scenery directory!

:oops:

The Bute map is updated in the zip above.

Thanks again, Ron! This one worked like a charm! Man, the graphic effects of shoals in VSF are truly spectacular, now! :shock: Try maneuvering (in a very shoal-draft boat!) around the sandbars at 56:14:00N 05:47:56W in Refract mode for a visual treat!

Now VSF mariners need to pay close attention to the chart...oh yeah...the chart...no depths. Maybe now we'll soon see bottom contours/depths in VSF Map, Ilan? Hint, hint. ;)
Sailorjohn

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:02 pm

ron wrote:Bob, can you suggest an area we'll use? (not deja vue)

Hi Ron, attached is a zip with 2 matched dems, one srtm and one with depth data. If this is too large to work with, let me know and I will sort out something else.

http://www.3d-mariner.com/England.zip

Bob
Bob

Postby ron » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi Bob, got it, you can remove the file. I don't think it's too big, we'll see.

Hi SJ, glad you like the Bute, I'm right now going to try the coordinates you posted. (But I did notice the glorious VSF depth renders as soon as I tried the new Beta).

I did try to create a simple.bmp in VS on the very same scenery (being creative), no luck, the VS map and VSF map didn't line up properly..... bummer, (I'd like to see the depth expressed like simple.bmp on the VSF topo.jpg)

edit:
Bob, I see you have clipped the UK towards the south west. The very western tips are clipped, so what I'm going to suggest is a full UK_SW scenery (allowing for a UK_SE, UK_NW and a UK_NE next, for file size).

I'll create a UK_SW topic in the Scenery section. The Bute would be an insert into this one, I have no idea how VSF copes with inserts, it being rendered on the very same .bin data, my Bute might be completely useless.........., redundant so. We'll see.
Cheers,

Ron
ron

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:58 pm

Yes Ron, what I gave you was one SRTM4 tile (36-02) with the corresponding Gebco_08 to provide the depth.

You do as you think best.

Edit:

Ron, I have already got the British Isles covered in sceneries I am currently working on.

Bob.
Bob

Postby Sailorjohn » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:16 pm

Arthur Maiden wrote:ive never know a jet to have rotational weapons lol but maybe turn the jet instead of the weapon ??
so not exactly the same AI system 8-)

In case you hadn't noticed, there are more planes around than just jets. Most multi-engined planes from WWI and WWII had multiple, aimable MGs (ever heard of the Flying Fortress, and the Superfortress?). Even some single-engined aircraft with multiple crew had them...like the Dauntless, Devastator, Stuka, and many Japanese dive bombers. Take a look at the Swordfish. Even in 'Nam, the C-130 gunships had side-firing Vulcan guns (Puff). I've armed Swordfish and Dakota with aimable MGs; now I'd like them to shoot back. So I heartily endorse Deutschmark's suggestion above for AI aircraft to return fire.
Sailorjohn

Postby Sailorjohn » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:22 am

Let's just leave it to Ilan, OK!?!
Sailorjohn

Postby Sailorjohn » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:31 am

Arthur Maiden wrote:Theyre cannon on the FF and SF ...

They're NOT cannon on the 'Forts...Browning .50 cal air-cooled machineguns, same as I used in 'Nam!!! Any other misinformation you'd like to disseminate?
Sailorjohn

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:59 am

ilan wrote:Can you think of some way to identify when a scenery needs to have a bottom
applied and when not, is anyone has a better idea please post it here.

Ilan, would it be feasable to insert an extra entry in the .hdr file such as:-

0 [requires seabed] if no seabed is required, or.
1 [requires seabed] if seabed is required.

The program could then check the status of [requires seabed] prior to creating.

Bob.
Bob

Postby Sailorjohn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:45 am

Ilan, I've been wrestling with this for awhile now, and I believe it's a bug. Every time I try to edit textures in any scenery using the design tab...the very first action, even simply importing a new texture from left to right without even assigning its' parameters, corrupts the lowest index texture (by default, sand.txt). It causes that lowest elevation (0 to 1.0 elev, or higher elev) texture to virtually disappear, leaving the lowest elev shoreline untextured. Even reloading the scenery to restore defaults doesn't fix it. In each case, I've had to remove everything from the scenery folder except .bin and .hdr, and have VSF reload it from scratch to restore defaults. It doesn't seem to affect any higher index textures...only the first. I've tried removing all textures and reload them one by one; same result. It's always the lowest texture that corrupts. The screenshot shows the result of simply moving a texture from the left column into the right in Design/textures...without even assigning parameters to the new texture. All textures are still VSF default; still has sand.txt 0.0 to 1.0 elev, 0.0 to 50.0 slope, 1.0 probability. Happens every time, every scenery. Sorta discourages custom texturing!

Sailorjohn

Postby ilan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:07 pm

Dear John,

Thank you for showing this to me !

It was caused by first texture not covering the sea bottom, you could edit the min_altitude and set it to
-500 for example, it would fix it, but i have made a fix anyway.

Please download from http://www.hangsim.com/temp/vsf_beta.zip

In any case, do not delete all the files, when reloading scenery did not clear the problem exit and restart the program,
however now the problem is solved, it will not be necessary any more.

I have made the first texture "catch all" which means it will catch all unhandled conditions including sea bottom,
now it is more predictable and perhaps more flexible to make scenery like this.

Now for an urgent request for all attending :

Everyone who has made good scenery this is the time to send it to me, i am adding the scenery add-ons to the website now, it is also possible to upload to the library, but we need to add Vehicle simulator category there.
Thank you,

Ilan Papini
Quality Simulations
http://www.hangsim.com
http://www.qualitysimulations.com
ilan

PreviousNext

Return to VSF Beta Testing