Official VSF train test

Discussion area for users participating in Beta testing of Vehicle Simulator. When posting, please try to describe what actions you took to cause a fault/bug to appear.

Official VSF train test

Postby Jonatan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:56 am

Having noticed Ilan (intently or not) released the train track he and I were working on I can just as well make the train feature official, as it is in a state where limited use is possible.

There are no availible locomotives and stock for VSF, nor will there be for some time. I built a testbed for Ilan to use and, when I deem the system to work sufficiently, I'll give him the go ahead to include this train with any future VSF updates. But we're not there quite yet.

As of current, trains are guided by an auto pilot, and the track itself work as a waypoint and trains are seen as a car by the game. I have been discussing with Ilan that the system doesn't provide a good base for train physics and behaviors and that a new vehicle type is desperatly needed, and he have said he will try to make this.

There are also many many bugs left to fix: Locos and cars aren't following the track properly, and lean to one side unless "land on objects" is unticked, which instead leaves them sunk into the track, reversing is not possible without the auto pilot wanting to turn around, track objects shift around a bit when loading a situation and the towing option isn't adequate for train couplings, the current "AP guiderail" gets confused when faced with crossing tracks or roads or tracks laying close by.

Still, in order to get a better understanding and beta testing of the system, I encourage people to try it out. I know people like Tails are building locomotives, well here's a chance to put them to the test.

I will list a couple of points to help get used to the tracks:

1. Open the objects editor and open the track folder, place a track like any other object.

2. Scale the objects width to 3.0 to get the standard gauge 1435mm or 4.708ft. All my trains will be built to this gauge. Clone the track piece to preserve the gauge.

3. Scale the track piece lengthwise and curve to get a bend. Use the x value under the Move tab to raise or lower the track height. It is possible to make a circular track.

4. Save user objects.

5. Place a car or any other land vehicle on the track then press the A-key and disable the speed. Start your engine and the AP guides your vehicle along.

6. To make a train, add several vehicles in a line then tow them. Jump from vehicle to vehicle and tow the next one. Use the "constant length" checkbox. I have asked for a rigid bar option or proper coupling elements.

This is as good as it gets right now, hopefully Ilan will be able to make the track guide the train and add additional features. But it is a step in the right direction.

A video of the first official train test. I used Ferdas Kursk scenery for testing tracks.
VSF train expert.
Jonatan

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: Official VSF train test

Postby Sailorjohn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:45 am

A great start, and cool vid...thanks to your hard work and persistence. I see Casey Jones and ole '99 in a VSF future.
Sailorjohn

Postby Ferda » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:47 am

Hi Jonatan,

it is amazinq work. It will brinq a new possibilities in VSF.

Thanks 8-) Ferda
Ferda

Postby Jonatan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:52 am

Thanks all.

Animations are already there, just that they only work in one direction. The same is true for ships. I have talked with Ilan about that as well.
VSF train expert.
Jonatan

Return to VSF Beta Testing