the easiest way to make a hull using sketchup

This section of the forums will contain tutorials and "how to's" posted by members. Please feel free to contribute to this section.

the easiest way to make a hull using sketchup

Postby promethius0harbinger » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:59 pm

This involves first using the freeware program known as freeship to make the desired hull. The parameters of your design are up to you at this pint of the hull's construction. Once you are satisfied with the shape of your hull export it as DXF 3d mesh. once that is done, import the hull half into skechup and save it as a component. When you have done this, select the copononent, copy it, paste it nearby, and then flip the copy until the two halves of your hull are symmetrical. It is at this moment that you select one of the two halves, and then click: edit component. This method save you a lot of work as the unselected other half of your hull will be edited with the same changes you made to the half you are editing.

since I'm making a model of a battleship using this above method, another trick I do to add bulkheads, is to make a rectangle whose face is perpendicular to this bow and stern of your ship, and then I select: intersect faces. from the right click menu. I usually select: with context. from the intersect faces submenu., and you then get an instant bulkhead. The ship I am making is a fictional class of battleship known as the Koro Sango class battleship. It is the first ship I am making from the ground up using the metric system.
Attachments
Koro Sango2.gif
promethius0harbinger

Re: the easiest way to make a hull using sketchup

Postby grumplstink » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:15 am

:D Hi promethius0harbinger thanks for the great tips. Can't wait for an 'in game' pic of your finished battleship.
Fred
grumplstink

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Return to Tutorials