Building a hull in sketchup

This section of the forums will contain tutorials and "how to's" posted by members. Please feel free to contribute to this section.

Building a hull in sketchup

Postby Thushan@96 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:12 pm

Hello, I'm posting this as a reply for Adm2805's request.

I myself try to use more than one curve when drawing the hull shape on planes to make it look more detailed.
Model only one half of the hull. You can copy it and flip it to make a complete hull after its finished.
Tutorial1.jpg

First I make a vertical rectangle and add 2 horizontal rectangles at its base and on top.
On the vertical rectangle, I draw a curve for the ships sheer line at the boat deck and I copy it down to where I guess the waterline should be. Then I use them as reference to draw the profile of the hull.
Tutorial2.jpg

Then I make a curved rectangle from the sheer line (the topmost deck of the hull. After that, The curve of the topmost decks at the bow and the stern are drawn in the horizontal rectangle on the top.
Tutorial4.jpg

Then you push it (rectangle on top) down through the sheered deck and intersect the faces. Clean up the unwanted bits and pieces and, viola!
Last edited by Thushan@96 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thushan@96

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Re: Building a hull in sketchup

Postby Thushan@96 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:21 pm

Tutorial 5.jpg

Copy the deck you made to the waterline (that line added earlier will fit perfectly with it) and draw the shape of the hull at the waterline on the rectangle at the base(remember,it should be aligned to the waterline, the deck added will overlap the waterline because the bow is flared). A little more pushing and intersecting and erasing and,
Tutorial 6.jpg

Now, make a flat face at the sides of the hull where it isn't curved.
Tutorial 7.jpg

It should slant like this. Otherwise the hull would look blocky when viewed bow-on (from the front).
Last edited by Thushan@96 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thushan@96

Postby Thushan@96 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Now, the bottom of the hull is narrower than the sides because the sides of the hull curve in before reaching the flat bottom, so, draw the bottom of the hull a bit inwards from the sides (it should be shorter too, cause bow curves in as well). Then, carve out a curve-shape from the bottom of the flat sides (make sure the curve joins the side of the hull and the flat bottom you drew).You should get something like this.
Tutorial8.jpg

Also, to make the hull more detailed, Put in plane shape between the flat bottom and the waterline (at the top end of the curve you cut out from the sides of the hull).

Now, join these decks (planes) with curves running from the top to bottom and join between them by drawing lines between them.
Thushan@96

Postby Thushan@96 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:24 pm

Tutorial9.jpg

This is how you fill in the bow and the stern of the ship. Always join the spaces between the curves before drawing the next curve. This way, you can easily notice if you have made a mistake.
Tutorial10.jpg

Tutorial11.jpg

I fill in small spaces like these with straight edges but, if you are concerned about detail, you can use curves here as well.
Thushan@96

Return to Tutorials