Increase speed

Are you having problems building or configuring a vehicle addon for VSF or would you like to discuss techniques? This is where to do it!

Increase speed

Postby Fearless » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi all,

How can I go about increasing the speed of SS Norway 1980.. It is meant to have a 30 kts speed range but the max it will do in VSF is 5 kts

Thanks in advance.

Fred
Fearless
Fearless

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: Increase speed

Postby Panelman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:15 pm

I don't know about VSF, but in VS make 6x your value motor _hp line in the boat.cfg file located in the SS Norway folder. :)
Panelman

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby varoun » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:33 pm

Open the vehicle cfg file and increase the number under [motor_hp] or if you're using the elements [highly unlikely in this case], just look for motor and adjust the motor hp under each motor element.
VAROUN

Lets save this forum and make it active as before!!
varoun

Postby Fearless » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:45 am

Thanks all for your responses.

I had a bash at that and the reason for asking was that I had adjusted the HP from 36,230 HP to 7,326,230 HP and it went from 5kts to 18kts with the engine still working overtime to remain at 18 kts.

Are there any other element in the properties that can be adjusted because I feel that the current HP setting is way unrealistic? Also I forgot how to adjust the turning rate. Can you enlighten me where I can adjust that?

Thanks in advance.

Fred
Fearless
Fearless

Postby Sailorjohn » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:36 am

First of all, remember that this ship was modeled for VS, not VSF...so I won't be using it.

No longer running VS I can only speculate that the model uses highly inaccurate specs in boat.cfg. Upon import to VSF, I would suggest correcting all specs in vehicle.cfg to actual real ship specs before creating elements. If displacement (mass), length, horsepower, etc are correct, then either reduce drag or cross-section area to achieve spec speed. I don't have the model, but I would suggest starting with a cross-section area of approx 400, and a cd of 0.05 and see what speed you get. Decreasing cross-section and/or cd will increase speed. Also increase prop size from default to approx 4m. BTW, if you have Dom's excellent SS France for VSF...same ship...try using vehicle and elements from that in the Norway model.
Sailorjohn

Postby Fearless » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:02 am

Sailorjohn wrote:First of all, remember that this ship was modeled for VS, not VSF...so I won't be using it.

No longer running VS I can only speculate that the model uses highly inaccurate specs in boat.cfg. Upon import to VSF, I would suggest correcting all specs in vehicle.cfg to actual real ship specs before creating elements. If displacement (mass), length, horsepower, etc are correct, then either reduce drag or cross-section area to achieve spec speed. I don't have the model, but I would suggest starting with a cross-section area of approx 400, and a cd of 0.05 and see what speed you get. Decreasing cross-section and/or cd will increase speed. Also increase prop size from default to approx 4m. BTW, if you have Dom's excellent SS France for VSF...same ship...try using vehicle and elements from that in the Norway model.

Thanks for that SailorJohn. I had a look at DOMs SS France but it is a VS7 version as well not a VSF one.
Fearless
Fearless

Postby varoun » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:42 am

Fearless wrote:Thanks for that SailorJohn. I had a look at DOMs SS France but it is a VS7 version as well not a VSF one.

it should still work in VSF though. i saw that you were accepted to the vs7/vsf Facebook group that i linked you to the other day, perhaps try asking there? i know that there are people in that group that know what they are doing and are available most times to answer questions so they certainly can help you solve your issue. don't be afraid; just ask. ;)
VAROUN

Lets save this forum and make it active as before!!
varoun

Postby Fearless » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Thanks Varoun.

I shall certainly do that :)
Fearless
Fearless

Return to VSF Vehicle Development Support