Best solution for empty ship and fully laden? (Knock Nevis)

Are you having problems building or configuring a vehicle addon for VSF or would you like to discuss techniques? This is where to do it!

Best solution for empty ship and fully laden? (Knock Nevis)

Postby saken » Mon May 22, 2017 10:21 pm

So, basically I'm wondering what would be best to use as a solution to as when my Knock Nevis is fully laden vs. no load.

The elements.cfg, or vehicle.cfg. What would be simplest, if I want at fully laden the draft (boat_alt) to be 24.611 meters, and the cross section (body_area) to be around 1690 square meters, vs. having no load at a draft of 10.668 meters, and around 980 square meters cross sectional area (body_area)?

I'm thinking about having two seperate elements.cfg files (one for empty ship, and one for fully laden) inside of the the ships folder, but what do you here at the forum think? Please reply with thoughts! I'll be patiently waiting for your reply!
Kind Regards,

saken

Proud Virtual Sailor user since 2005, and Vehicle Simulator user since 2008!
saken

Re: Best solution for empty ship and fully laden? (Knock Nev

Postby Fearless » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:13 am

Hi Saken,

I think the two element.cfg files would be the way to go but add it in the one ship folder. It's just a matter of renaming the cfg to activate either the laded or unladen version.
Fearless
Fearless

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby Sailorjohn » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:59 am

Or you could model the ship in unladen light draft elements, create cargo points (up to 63), and create 'cargo', each weighing 1/63 of the difference between unladen and full load tonnage. As you load cargo, ship will gradually sink to her laden trim and draft. A vertical 'wing' in elements just above unladen waterline, with the required increased cross-sectional area, will gradually become immersed as you load cargo. That increases drag, slowing the ship...and the cargo weight drastically increases inertia.
Sailorjohn

Postby Fearless » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:24 pm

Sailorjohn wrote:Or you could model the ship in unladen light draft elements, create cargo points (up to 63), and create 'cargo', each weighing 1/63 of the difference between unladen and full load tonnage. As you load cargo, ship will gradually sink to her laden trim and draft. A vertical 'wing' in elements just above unladen waterline, with the required increased cross-sectional area, will gradually become immersed as you load cargo. That increases drag, slowing the ship...and the cargo weight drastically increases inertia.

Thanks SailorJohn. A much better option.
Fearless
Fearless

Postby jpb63 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:13 am

saken wrote:So, basically I'm wondering what would be best to use as a solution to as when my Knock Nevis is fully laden vs. no load.

The elements.cfg, or vehicle.cfg. What would be simplest, if I want at fully laden the draft (boat_alt) to be 24.611 meters, and the cross section (body_area) to be around 1690 square meters, vs. having no load at a draft of 10.668 meters, and around 980 square meters cross sectional area (body_area)?

I'm thinking about having two seperate elements.cfg files (one for empty ship, and one for fully laden) inside of the the ships folder, but what do you here at the forum think? Please reply with thoughts! I'll be patiently waiting for your reply!

Personally, I will try to adapt the ballast datarefs of a submarine by limiting them so as not to sink. Make a new panel with float level controls to simulate bilge loading.

Personnellement, j’essayerai d’adapter les datarefs ballaste d’un sous marin en les limitant pour ne pas couler. Réaliser un nouveau panel avec des commandes de niveaux de flottaison pour simuler les chargements en fond de cale.
Jpb63
jpb63

Postby saken » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:50 am

Dear all,

I've been in touch with Sailorjohn through email, and it seems that there is currently no way to get her to fully laden from no load, without having her sinking completely when fully laden to a deadweight tonnage of 564,763 tonnes!

So anybody is welcome with suggestions on what we can do to solve it. Maybe two separate elements.cfg is the best solution after all. As I remember Sellu used two separate boat.cfgs for his model, I could possibly do the same with elements.cfg :)
Kind Regards,

saken

Proud Virtual Sailor user since 2005, and Vehicle Simulator user since 2008!
saken

Return to VSF Vehicle Development Support