Windsor Knot - WIP - A 33' Nauticat

In here you can post about your exciting VSF vehicle projects.

Re: Windsor Knot - WIP - A 33' Nauticat

Postby Sailorjohn » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:28 pm

Hi Axe...I learned from the previous owner that it was best to slack away the lazyjacks and cleat them off at the mast before hoisting. Problem wasn't just the battens, but the headboard as well. Even when directly head to wind, the mains'l flogs quite a bit while being hoisted, and the headboard in particular often managed to get pinched aloft. I usually reset the jacks after sail was two-blocked.
Sailorjohn

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby o2jmpr » Wed May 11, 2016 11:42 pm

This ship makes me want to cry. It's THE perfect ship for me. I'll be buying this beauty straight away once my new PC for VSF comes in. Thank you so much for offering her!

I do have a question about the model though. Are the sails able to be individually controlled or does she sail on AP only? Please forgive me if that was a stupid newbie question. :)
o2jmpr

Postby Sailorjohn » Thu May 12, 2016 2:37 am

No such thing as a stupid question. We learn as we go. Everybody has to start out somewhere.

Short answer...you can control the sails manually by turning off 'autosail', and using the "S" tab which has sliders...or simply clicking on the sail and mousing in or out. That's the good news. The bad news is that there are only 3 categories of sail: sailb (b for 'big', ie mainsail), sails (s for small, ie jib), and spinnaker. So in this case, a ketch, both the main and mizzen respond together as sailb...whatever you do to trim, reef, or furl one also applies to the other. The genoa responds to sails. That's not really appropriate...in the real world we'd probably furl the mainsail and continue under jib and mizzen as wind increases. So in a larger vessel like Sharpy's magnificent Athena, the three 'mains' (fore, main, and mizzen) and their gaff topsails all respond as one...while the 3 headsails (flying jib, outerjib, and inner jib) also respond together as a unit. Again, realistically we'd first furl the topsails, then reef the mains, and probably furl the flying jib... as wind pipes up. We all hope for fully individual sail controls in a future update!

Welcome aboard...and I certainly understand why virtual sailing would appeal to someone in Iowa...where the waves are wheat! ;)
Sailorjohn

Postby o2jmpr » Thu May 12, 2016 2:47 am

That's still good news! Thanks for the speedy reply, I'm really excited to get going.

Yes, waves of wheat, corn, soybeans, oppressive heat and humidity etc. I have an old soul though and somewhere deep in it's recesses is a sailor longing for the sea. Being landlocked really sucks.
I'd give my right to crew a transatlantic cruise. :)
o2jmpr

Previous

Return to VSF Vehicle WIPs