Conversion tools

This is the forum of the Vehicle Simulator (VSF).
NoBody191

Conversion tools

Post by NoBody191 »

Anyone still have the directx plugin for Sketchup 8? the old download link has already expired for a looong time, if anyone have, please PM me
Random Kiddo who loves diving the internet

penyelam handal.
NoBody191

Re: Conversion tools

Post by NoBody191 »

Edit: nevermind, i alreayd got it, lock this topic
Random Kiddo who loves diving the internet

penyelam handal.
sultanpoppa

Post by sultanpoppa »

In case anyone like me is searching for answers to this question I have a solve. First, I'm using Sketchup Make 2017, the last of the free versions.

These extensions are available at the Sketchup Marketplace.

To import DirectX to Sketchup:
Universal Importer by Samuel Talet

Export to DirectX:
ZbylsXExporter by Zbigniew Skowron

Forums are often the source of much lost knowledge, and since the old forum doesn't exist, new users like me have to scrounge. Any way I can save someone some lost time is the least I can do here, since many have been so helpful finding solutions for me!
sultanpoppa

Post by sultanpoppa »

I've been struggling for the past year with the various conversion tools out there. I either have to wait for an old DirectX exporter running in Sketchup 17, which takes anywhere from 12-18 hours to complete in order to see if you have a playable model. Or I've tried Autoconverter and AC3D, who both seem to have a DirectX converter that is incompatible with VS. The two create files that are invisible in the VS environment, although will open each other's DirectX file.

I understand that DirectX may have updated over the past year or so, and it may have an incompatibility problem. I purchased the two above for the purpose of doing faster conversions and tests, but it appears to be wasted, unless anyone here knows how to troubleshoot within the DirectX file itself. I also found an old Youtube video that uses an old version of Sketchup (8) and a ruby script created about a decade ago. Same result, invisible boat.

For example I saw that the Autoconverter file inserted empty lines between material references, whereas any VS file does not have these. I spend time with Notepad++ to experiment on the theory and it wasn't the answer. I just don't know enough about the subtleties of a DirectX file to see which will work and which will not.

I have some older playable models that I made, but have since learned how to make better textured, smaller files which should result in a cooler and faster gameplay. Its pretty frustrating. Any troubleshooting tips are appreciated.
christianH

Post by christianH »

Hello,
I've been working with AC3D for 10 years now. Since then, the direct X exporter has worked flawlessly for me with both VSF and VS NG.
For example, the "43ft Gaff Cutter Catherine" and the "Dinghy JOHN" from the add-on library are made with it. You can see my settings in AC3D 9.0.22 in the picture.
Alternatively you can also use Blender 2.79, the newer versions of Blender do not have a direct X exporter. You can even create animated objects with Blender. However, the direct X exporter is very tricky. For normal objects I find AC3D much better.
Attached you will find the AC3D file of the dinghy JOHN. Try opening the file in AC3D and exporting it to the vehicle folder "dinghy JOHN" that you downloaded from the library.
I hope you find the solution to the problem with this.
Attachments
dinghy.7z
AC3D_9022_file
(27.22 KiB) Downloaded 704 times
AC3D 9.0.22 direct X exporter
AC3D 9.0.22 direct X exporter
AC3D_9022_export_directX.JPG (82.55 KiB) Viewed 20145 times
sultanpoppa

Post by sultanpoppa »

Thank you for posting this, I've been tracking what settings I've tried as was suggested by the writer of AC3D's exporter. I'm starting to suspect that the original SKP model is just too complex. the file is 49,700 kb, 129k faces, 49 materials. The AC3D file is 54,699kb. Judging by what other people have done, my model doesn't appear to be any more complex, but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure how to make it simpler and still keep a similar level of detail. There are no faces that aren't used,

Here's a screenshot from sketchup, if anything jumps off the page as an obvious fix, let me know.
ef1-2-23.jpg
ef1-2-23.jpg (217.48 KiB) Viewed 19608 times
rakom

Post by rakom »

You can export easily your model in 3ds format and use the converter (Conv3ds) provided on the VSF website.
You will find it in the section Creating Scenery (the link in Creating Vehicles is broken).
sultanpoppa

Post by sultanpoppa »

Hi, I did download the script, however my Windows 10 machine asks for a *.dll file in order to run it. When searching for the file, there a plenty of sketchy sites just itching for you to download some compromising code. Any trustworthy links and instructions on what folder to install it?
rakom

Post by rakom »

I don't understand why you don't have the d3drm.dll file, it's should be provided with Conv3ds.exe.
Anyway you can get it here: https://39565afa-caa3-4147-b401-cead65b ... onv3ds.rar
Copy both files in you designing directory.
sultanpoppa

Post by sultanpoppa »

Hello, thanks for the file. This seems to be giving me trouble as well. I copy both files into the model directory and run it from the command prompt. I still get no result.

I am running a Windows 11 machine with a I5-8300h cpu @ 2.30/gHz 2.3 GHz

I'm starting to wonder if I should be running a Windows XP machine. Any suggestions? I could post the skp file to a Dropbox and let others try it.
rakom

Post by rakom »

You just drag the *.3ds file above Conv3ds.exe, it will run and create a *.x file bearing the same name. While running, you'll see nothing except the flashing prompt; do nothing but wait [it's generally fast].
Last edited by rakom on Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
sultanpoppa

Post by sultanpoppa »

Hi, I tried the drag and drop as you suggested. Here is a screen capture of the operation: https://app.box.com/s/pll4yp4dljsbokd0haais8tno5ubf4p1

It yields no result. I've created a number of 3ds files based on simpler or earlier versions of sketchup. I'm really at a loss at this point.
rakom

Post by rakom »

Sorry. Unable to access the file.
rakom

Post by rakom »

Indeed, some older versions of SketchUp export files in *.3ds format but these files are no longer readable by newer 3D software and obviously not by conv3ds.exe.

In your case, an instant relief is to use the free online version of SketchUp [https://www.sketchup.com/plans-and-pric ... tchup-free]: upload your *.skp made with whatever old version you have, then convert it to *.3ds for downloading and finally convert it to a *.x file with conv3ds.exe . I tested this with older *.skp files, it worked fine.
What's handy is that Free Sketchup Online has no time limit unlike the trial version, so it allows you to continue using your usual version of Sketchup.

BTW be sure to orient corrrectly all faces of your 3D object before converting. :)