Version 1.8 is here we have multi engine and weapon realism

This is where new releases of VSF will be announced. Please post bug reports here as well.

Version 1.8 is here we have multi engine and weapon realism

Postby ilan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:12 am

Dear All,

After much work i have completed version 1.8 last night, now we have many of the rhings you asked for, and even more we have a visual gellery for selecting vehicles and seeing their inner details fast, just press Q to see this gallery, or use the menu icon.

We have also multi engine capbility for boats and planes, this was a deep and very labour intensive change, effecting anything from instuments, joystick axes, components, elements, flames, smokes, parts and all.

Use the panel of the twin engined vehicles ( press P to show ) to show the two throttles to controls these engines, use sample 13 for some framatic two engine control in flight, even older planes like the F-4 and DC-3 will show two engine controls and ofcourse boats like the Cruiser and Ranger and such which have more than one prop.

A flood light was added ( instead of spot ) for illuminating night objects and scenery, sorry it was simpler than adding a spot due to the use of shaders for everything by day and night ( yes vehicles shaders work at night too now ).

The cool part is that this light also casts shadows on the vehicle itself !

Effects were added to instruments as well, and number of instruments was increased.

Weapons have ammo limits now, and each weapon can be aligned and fired independently, each round adds mass and innertia, for example see the Aerolight 103 it barely flies with a 250 kg bomb, now try to release it and see the difference...

In summary, this update is great, try it and enjoy !
Thank you,

Ilan Papini
Quality Simulations
http://www.hangsim.com
http://www.qualitysimulations.com
ilan

Re: Version 1.8 is here we have multi engine and weapon realism

Postby cwchute » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:10 pm

Thanks for the update Ilan, on an already terrific sim.

Chris
cwchute

Postby CaptainMack » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks for the update Ilan! ;)

It's nice to see that back face-culling is really working now. I'm looking forward to test other stuff added so far.
Anyway I noticed a thing probably noticed by just a few of us, and it's called object visibility.

You got a slider in the land settings panel where you can adjust the object visibility.
If you start up the game (restart it) with object visibility set to value 2261 and you had your previous location in town 1 and you are now moving yourself towards town 2 on the other side of the fjord you will notice a glitch... town 2 is not loaded into the scene. It remains unloaded until you restart the game at the town 2 location. It also remains unloaded until you move the object visibility up to a higher value.

VSF is simply not loading scenery objects at object visibility value 2261 or even below that. They are not loaded into the scene when the object visibility is that low and the question that remains is why?.

I think I know the answer here already. VSF is only loading the objects surrounding the player at startup. When the object visibility is that low it should also load the other surrounding objects when you start to move away from the town and you will see that the town is slowly disappearing. But that doesn't happen. The objects remains unloaded while vegetation is loading fine. At start up VSF is only paying attention to that value (value 2261) and isn't loading the other surrounding objects in the background. Because of this, the remaining surrounding objects becomes unloaded even when you move towards the place where they actually should appear (but they don't).

This will become a problem for dense scenarios (like mine) where you actually for now have to use object visibility to 100% (unknown value) to simply load all the objects at startup. After that you can move the slider down to value 2261 again or lower it and see that they loads fine.

You can download my scenery at this website to experience the same glitch.

This glitch is ony appearing for scenery objects (not vegetation).

Anyway, I'm impressed what you have done with the graphics so far and made the game engine to render graphics better and in a optimized way. I think that's the way to go when people want better realism inside the game. The game engine is moving towards the game engines you see in the latest first-person shooter games you have today where the game engine is rendering objects in ways that makes a tree look like a tree when you are close to it, but where the tree is simplified when you move away from it (simply to allow the game performance to stay high so the player doesn't experience a big lack of performance when the game is played).

A tiny screw that contains 700 polygons/faces doesn't have to be rendered by the game engine at a distance where the player is 200 meters away..simply because you cannot see the screw at that distance with the human eye (unless you are using binoculars or a telescope). The same goes for walls inside a ship. A smart game engine will only render the visible walls that are visible to the player and therefore boosting the game performance to maintain a good frame rate (fps).

A smart game engine would not render a house behind a mountain that you don't see (because you only see the mountain) while the map tells you that there is a house behind that mountain. It would only render the house when you are in a position where the house becomes visible.

So keep up the work, making the game engine "smarter" (giving it more IQ :mrgreen: ). It allows us who are "xtreme" to make some heavy stuff for it for the sake of the players hunger to see some amazing stuff made for this sim. ;)

And btw: Happy New Year! :D
CaptainMack

Postby CaptainMack » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:41 pm

By some strange reason VSF will not load the night version of my scenery objects (object_n.x or object_n.xx) :?
CaptainMack

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:47 pm

I would like to add my congratulations to Ilan and thank him for a wonderful update.

I have only two small points to raise about still outstanding features.

1) While I welcome the independant motor controls for boats, I regret the fact that we no longer have the reverse engine feature (shift E)
I use a Saitek Throttle Quadrant, very well suited to the old system. It has no centre click point, so it is quite difficult to achieve an idle state.
I would like to see the reverse key re-instated, possibly as an option.

2) I am pleased to see the rope texture as a new feature, it is excellent for mooring and anchoring. However the actual mooring is still unrealistic.

when did you ever see a boat moored like that?

Also when coming alongside a pier or dock, if you touch the dock, this can still happen.

Bob.
Bob

Postby Sharpy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:08 pm

I've lost all keyboard throttle control.
Re installed, deleted the .ini file started all over... no keyboard throttles.

I'm thinking this is a 64 bit problem.
Anyone running Vista 64 having any problems?
Sharpy

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby CaptainMack » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:43 pm

Another bug I found:

1. Cloned objects turns white
2. When saving cloned objects to absolute file and restarting VSF the cloned objects are not there. :?
CaptainMack

Postby Sharpy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:06 pm

Thanks for the fix Ilan, throttles work nicely!
Sharpy

Object loading distance

Postby ilan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:46 am

Dear CaptainMack,

Thanks for attaching the screen shot of the settings you used, it explains so much,
I will check the exact case you mentioned, but the answer seems to be in the photo
you attached, you have two paramters, i will explain:

object_step - this is the distance between loading steps, which means every time you pass this distance
the program loads objects that are in range ( see below ).

object_visibility - this is the range by which objects are loaded and released, should be larger than the step by at least two to make sense.

Here is a detailed example:

Suppose you have object_visibility of 5000 m, and object_step of 1000 meters, this means that once every 100m meters you advance your objects are checked, when any object nearer than 5000 meters to you is loaded and every object farther than that is released.

When the step is 5000 and the visibility is half it means every 5000 meters you lose half the objects because only ones near the end point of your step are visible while ones nearer the start point are released.
Thank you,

Ilan Papini
Quality Simulations
http://www.hangsim.com
http://www.qualitysimulations.com
ilan

Postby pusser » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:51 pm

I have vista too, lost keyboard throttle, also take a look at props when in Auto, some turn with effects others no turn but effects.
also throttle instrument does not respond e.g. Kreigsmarine Z31.
Lights X file works ok.
when weapons selected they move to view wether Telescope or hud used or not.
Question....when converting from VS the automatic vehicle file is not created. How ever the properties panel does change but if not loaded every time the boat returns to its original boat cfg settings.
does the sim not create the file anymore?
pusser

Next

Return to VSF Releases