Version 2.3.5 is here - introducing some features

This is where new releases of VSF will be announced. Please post bug reports here as well.

Version 2.3.5 is here - introducing some features

Postby ilan » Sat May 14, 2011 8:45 am

Hi All,

As promised version 2.3.5 is here, i would like to present some of the new features in this version which can be used to make interesting scenery and missions:

1. True multiple paths for vehicles.

Open the map and select each vehicle you wish to edit, then add waypoints to it, you will notice each vehicle has its own set now, which can be used to make traffic vehicles behave more realistically and to make interesting navigations possible.

2. Actual cargo being loaded and unloaded from vehicles.

Dock your boat near some pier, and then press the "Load Cargo" button, you will see new cargo that can be loaded onto this boat, if no cargo points exist, define some, and the resume loading.

Each cargo has its own mass and properties, and can be unloaded and kept in its position in the scenery.

3. Scenery robots and scripted animations.

Use the design mode, and add onto some position on the scenery the following objects: robo_box, robo_anim, "robo_crane", see how these objects behave, and then examine their scripts which appear inside the common directory, see how easy it is now to define movements, sounds and more, giving animated objects more character.

Your feedback on this is welcome.
Thank you,

Ilan Papini
Quality Simulations
http://www.hangsim.com
http://www.qualitysimulations.com
ilan

Re: Version 2.3.5 is here - introducing some features

Postby Jonatan » Sat May 14, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi Ilan, your new update is great!

I tested it at work and I like the new cargo feature but I have some ideas. I have not tested everything yet but it seems cargo is limited to vessels only, it should be changed to encompass all vehicle types.

Also, the behavior of the cargo is strange, it flies through the air. Will this be changed later? Could it be possible to place cargo in a scenery and have a robo_xx lift the cargo onto a ship/truck/train? Or why not challenge ShipSim with actual working cargo cranes controlled by the player? Could make for very fun online simulations!

The cargo works great for the crates and boxes, but I have not tested any bulk gargo like coal or ore or grain, but these will be made later by users. I tested making a small invisible cargo with 30,000 tons weight for tankers and cargo points inside the hull. It works nice and the tanker sinks into the water.

Does the manifest file work if placed within a vehicle folder? As a modeller I like to make all files local to within a single folder for easy installing and moving.

With some refinements the cargo feature could become very good. Thanks for this feature. I will do some more tests.
VSF train expert.
Jonatan

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby Victor » Sat May 14, 2011 2:41 pm

I must admit I ducked when this box flew around.

Victor
Victor
Forum Administrator

Postby Bromstarzan » Sat May 14, 2011 3:02 pm

Very interesting stuff. I just started experimenting with the cargo feature and can see a great potential in making "missions" for VSF.
Thanks for a great update!
Bromstarzan

Postby danim » Sat May 14, 2011 3:35 pm

how do you set up the cargo loading as when I try to do it vsf crashes
danim

Postby ilan » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:48 am

Hi Danim,

I hope you have all the files added to version 2.3.6, these include the manifest.txt, cargo_small.x, cargo_big.x, and version itself.

1. Use the Ranger for example, define two cargo points for it, for example this are the contents of file called
cargo.cfg inside the Ranger directory.

-0.078999 3.32764 3.16061
-0.078999 1.20244 -6.93941

2. Once you have one or more cargo points, use the Load Cargo screen, and add cargo from the right hand list, then you should see it added to your points.

If you still have a crash please email me.
Thank you,

Ilan Papini
Quality Simulations
ilan

Your comments on the Cargo please

Postby ilan » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:19 am

Hi,

I wonder if any of you have mastered the cargo option, or have any comments about it.
Thank you,

Ilan Papini
Quality Simulations
ilan

Re: Your comments on the Cargo please

Postby Sailorjohn » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:46 pm

ilan wrote:Hi,

I wonder if any of you have mastered the cargo option, or have any comments about it.

It's working great for me, Ilan. I was already utilizing it quite successfully in 2.3.5, although I did encounter a mixup when VSF loaded one type of cargo while I specified another. With the latest 2.3.6, all's well. And customizing of cargo x files, and manifest mass entries, seems to work well. Now it is theoretically possible to move the same cargo by ship, plane, train and truck, while observing the loading effect on vehicle dynamics...thanks to your work and Jon's suggestions. An amusing sidelight is that at Lat 0, Long 0 (default VSF start position), I was beginning to accumulate a mass of floating cargo crates in the scenery tile while experimenting with cargo options. I have to periodically clean up the flotsam and jetsam left behind there. It makes you think twice before clicking "Throw it overboard"!!!
Sailorjohn

Postby itsme » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Works fine for me, Ilan. Moving the cargo with the mouse rather than get it fallen from heaven would be a further improvement IMHO.
Cheers, Reino.
itsme

Postby Victor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:33 pm

I go along with ITSME's suggestion ref cargo handling.

Victor
Victor
Forum Administrator

Next

Return to VSF Releases