VSF 2.5.2 is out

This is where new releases of VSF will be announced. Please post bug reports here as well.

VSF 2.5.2 is out

Postby Sailorjohn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:55 pm

Changes for version 2.5.2

Bug Fixes and new features:
Remeber full screen mode when program is closed.
Accrutate caustic refraction using underwater visibility.
Gear animation and user animation animate according to their frame count.
Added instrument dgalt - reads altitude in feet.
Added instrument dgweapon.
Separate radar and weapon dialogs.
Weapon locked and ready voice when weapon is locked.
Vehicle options dialog split into two, and tooltips added to all options.
Added option to render boat in pilot view without hiding water.
Added very big explosition for weapons using [kill_radius].
Killing all targets in weapon [kill_radius] also in netplay games.
Loading situation.html enabled only in demo mode.
Manifest file read from common directory and from scenery.
Cargo can be removed from scenery using cargo dialog remove button.
Smoke when engine is on when [smoke_s] < 0 in smoke.cfg.
Optional vehicle sounds added, "inside.wav" and "outside.wav" as ambient sound inside and outside.
Scenery animations support "_n" night mode.
Added vehicle tags lightsl, lightsr, lightsm, lightst, which glow on when light is on.
Parachute attached at (hook_x, hook_y, hook_z).
Vehicles can use color coded bump maps for effects when bump scale < 0.
Added night vision mode using Ctrl+T, button on Telescope, Joystick button and Toolbar icon.
Sailorjohn

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: VSF 2.5.2 is out

Postby kostas11 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:03 am

Hi, John
Why the update number is 2.5.2, In the site the last update was 2.4.9 Exist the 2.5.0 and 2.5.1 updates?
kostas11

Postby Jonatan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:46 pm

I see a few things in that list which will come to very good use!

Thanks!
VSF train expert.
Jonatan

Postby Sailorjohn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:45 am

kostas11 wrote:Hi, John
Why the update number is 2.5.2, In the site the last update was 2.4.9 Exist the 2.5.0 and 2.5.1 updates?

I don't think there were releases of 2.5.0 or 2.5.1. I'm just guessing, mind you, but maybe Ilan had prepared a couple of earlier updates but never released them due to working on another project...so he combined them. There's quite a bit of stuff here, including several things like water on deck, constant steam smoke, ambient noise, etc that I and others had asked for quite a while ago. Glad to see it's here!
Sailorjohn

Postby Jonatan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:43 am

I asked Ilan about the new smoke feature since I don't seem to get it to work. Whatever it means it sure don't seem to make smoke constant...
VSF train expert.
Jonatan

Postby Sailorjohn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:58 am

Jonatan wrote:I asked Ilan about the new smoke feature since I don't seem to get it to work. Whatever it means it sure don't seem to make smoke constant...

It works OK for me, Jon. What I did was simply put a minus sign (-) in front of the scale values for [smoke_s]. I think that's what Ilan means by [smoke_s]<0. However, I don't advocate simply changing all steam smokes to constant, as the smoke remains as if throttle were 100%. I plan to create smokes of identical position and rgb values, with lower [smoke_s] values (minus), to replicate moderate boiler firing. Having served on a steamer, I can attest to the fact that the greatest amount of smoke was just after lighting off cold plant...smoke gradually diminished as boilers reached normal op temp. By the time we were ready to get underway, there was very little smoke. Only during full power and/or heavy maneuvering did we see heavy smoke underway...although it was a mess when the black gang 'blew tubes' once a watch to rid the stack and uptakes of accumulated soot!!!
Sailorjohn

Postby Jonatan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:24 am

Oh, like the whistle steam. The < had me confused. Sounds like alotta fun with the soot flying everywhere, LOL! I too know that ships never smoked so heavilly at all times, but I've seen videos and pics of those old coal-fired tramps mimicing Mt. Vesuvius!

EDIT: I am not entirely happy with the look of the constant smoke tbh. It looks quite overdone, the plume is too tall and thick, towering 100ft over the boat (using s.s Emerald for testing purposes)! I emailed Ilan about for a possible fix in the next update.
VSF train expert.
Jonatan

Postby Sailorjohn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:33 am

Jonatan wrote:Oh, like the whistle steam. The < had me confused. Sounds like alotta fun with the soot flying everywhere, LOL! I too know that ships never smoked so heavilly at all times, but I've seen videos and pics of those old coal-fired tramps mimicing Mt. Vesuvius!

EDIT: I am not entirely happy with the look of the constant smoke tbh. It looks quite overdone, the plume is too tall and thick, towering 100ft over the boat (using s.s Emerald for testing purposes)! I emailed Ilan about for a possible fix in the next update.

Yeah, that's why I'm trying a separate scaled-down smoke just for the constant version...instead of just using the existing ones. But it may persist after engine start, so it may be necessary to reduce the regular smoke scale to compensate.
Sailorjohn

Postby Jonatan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:36 am

I asked Ilan to keep the "properties" of the regular smokes but leave them "on" so to speak. The addition of ambient sounds are a treat!
VSF train expert.
Jonatan

Postby Sailorjohn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:28 am

Oh well. I tried creating a separate 'smaller' smoke. Looks OK with engine stopped, but it persists when throttle opens...when the 'regular' smoke appears. The new constant smoke uses the same rgb values but is much denser. Looks like a tornado! And it follows a distinctly different wind path than the 'regular' smoke.
Sailorjohn

Next

Return to VSF Releases