Important Announcement for 3/14/2012

If you have released a new addon for VSF, please announce it here.

Important Announcement for 3/14/2012

Postby Andrew » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:36 pm

Hello everyone,

Some of you may remember a time when this forum was once thriving with life and every topic had open, friendly discussion going on. Members were active and mostly friendly.

Ilan himself has noticed that the forum has begun to go into a rapid decline (I myself as well as a few others) have noticed its decline over the past few years. Over the years, we have lost alot of our loyal old "sea dogs" from the old forum and even now some of our current members are returning less and less frequently. And the members that do join are highly restricted to what they can do as soon as they join (for instance, new members can not post freely until their first 10 posts are approved and new members can not send Private Messages until they have a certain amount of posts.) This and many other things Nemo and I hope to change.

Recently I sent Ilan an email asking him about what he would like to do or what Nemo and i could do in order to bring the forum out of the slump it is currently in and Ilan has said "you have my blessing to make any thing you find possible to revive the forum."

And so with that, Ilan has allowed us to make changes to the rules and guidelines (both major and minor) and we are going to try and work together to make this forum more "Member Friendly" and see what we can do to eliminate all of the Negativity towards the forum that i am constantly hearing outside of this forum. I have also alerted Ilan about this and this is also why he is letting me do this.

Right now, we are wanting to know your concerns and ideas you have in order to make this forum much cleaner and more user friendly...Your messages WILL BE READ and your ideas WILL be taken into consideration and we will try and work with you to see what we can make work and not work over the next few weeks. We want you to be able to speak more freely on here, and right now is a time for you to voice your opinions and ideas directly to us. They are not going to be judged or ignored and these ideas will definitely help us.

Sam and I do not want everyone on here to think of us as just moderators. We are also members here too and we are going to make sure other member's voices and opinions count and are respected.

So while you are looking through, take time to message Sam (Nemo) or myself, and let us know what kind of problems you have had on the forums (past or presently) and give us some ideas on what we can do to help not only you, but every new member that joins.

If you have questions, concerns or comments, you may contact me or Sam on here , and please do not feel afraid to say anything. You have a voice and you have a right to be heard.
Were you in the boat when the boat tipped over?
No, silly. I was in the water!
Andrew
Global Moderator

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Re: Important Announcement for 3/14/2012

Postby Dom » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:36 pm

A much needed action indeed.
VSF is the best maritime simulator out there and it needs a stronger, larger and more open community, as well as some needed developments in the future.
I wish you, Sam and all the team all success in this new start.

Good luck to you.

Dom.

Formerly known as Dom ...just in case I follow this currently ongoing silly trend of changing one's screen name...
Dom

Postby Dom » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:03 am

Like I've just posted on the other section, I agree with most of the above, especially the very important 3), 4,) 5) and 6).

Dom.

Formerly known as Dom ...just in case I follow this currently ongoing silly trend of changing one's screen name...
Dom

Postby Dom » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:38 am

I've just seen the moderators team has changed.
Even if he's no longer among them, I hope Victor will remain a member here anyway. Among other things (and necessary new things and approach on top of that), we still need expertise of real sailors here, even as "simple" members.

Dom.

Dom

Postby spookymufu » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 am

Victor and his heavy handed way of moderating and Ilan never willing to step in and actually investigate the moderating issues submitted to him is why I left, stayed away, and now only read but not participate in this forum and most likely others feel the same way as well.

The moderation needs to be looser and some monitoring (and action) by the admin would probably help a lot.......but, until then, I will remain mostly a lurker.....
Last edited by spookymufu on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
spookymufu

Postby Andrew » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Thank You Dom, Deutschmark, Spookymufu, and Clayton.

I agree. Although none of us 100% agreed with Victor's actions, Dom, he is by no means in any kind of trouble.

These comments are really helpful.

Right now our main goal is to assure all the members on here that they are not going to be cyberbullied by anyone (this includes moderators and administrators.) Meaning, if they say something (even slightly off topic), we're not going to PM them saying to "stay on topic" or "dont do this again." Sam and I are making anything like this does not EVER happen again. We have alot planned, and we hope to accomplish every single goal we have set. We have plans to make this forum more lively and active. But we need the help of any and all members that are even remotely willing to help.

Spooks, i understand where you are coming from completely. But i do hope you will rethink about just being a lurker. Your comments are not going to be watched like a hawk and you are certainly not going to be PM'ed if you go even slightly off topic. We are wanting the forum to get a little more personal, having more Open and even personal discussions, even if it just about what you did over the weekend.

I have thought one of the main reasons this forum has died was because of the way Victor has handled some of these members. I have heard time and time again outside of the forums that Hangsim is over run by a "Victator" and alot of other negative comments about the forum. I am wanting to change that as well as Sam. Which is why we are asking you guys for help. If we can get in enough different comments and suggestions, i will be making a list, as well as Sam and we are goign to email Ilan with a list of changes (or he will most likely make us able to do the changes ourselves.)

Im sure when i say i am not the only one who wants to see traffic coming back into this forum as this is the OFFICIAL forum for Virtual Sailor, Macro Flight, and Vehicle Simulator. Sam and i are even hoping to get a hold of some of the old sea dogs and invite them back to the forum (such as Rocco, Jammy, Lindemann. Even though they have long since been gone, they were important to the forum. It is worth a shot. and it will boost all 3 game's reputation, even if 2 of them are out of date. Virtual Sailor is still talked about, second behind VSF.

This is not only going to be done by just 2 people. Its going to need as many people as we can get. I know some of us do not come on here as much as we used to, and that is understandable. But the ones that really do care about the forum and what goes on here and what should go on here should really step up and help in any way they can. Believe it or not, a bunch of us are a team....a group...a family.
Andrew
Global Moderator

Postby Barrelfish » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:29 am

Sounds good to me, fellas - think I'll come out of hiding too.
Barrelfish

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby Andrew » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:08 pm

Well that is good. Im glad that we are starting to get some people to come out of hiding. :)
Andrew
Global Moderator

Postby Nemo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi everyone :)

It's good to see some feedback! That's the sort of stuff we like!

Deutschmark:
I've noticed that the list of avaliable addons is quite short, especially since many have been released. VS/VSF/MF thrive on custom content made by users, so it's important to have these addons readily avaliable.
I agree with your "lead by example", thanking people for their addons is, I feel, very important. The creator has created and kindly released their work for the public to use, many times for neither profit nor gain.
While old post-bumping can be annoying, at times it can be useful. At another forum I frequent (for one of my hobbies) sometimes people drag up topics 3 or 4 years old, because they're run into the same problem, or need help for the same general question, I don't see that as a problem.

Spooky:
Moderation will much much looser now, feel free to stop lurking. Hopefully we can get the forum and atmosphere back to how it was at the older forum :)

Nice to see you "out of hiding" Barrelfish!

As said, if there's anything we can do to help, just let us know!
Nemo
Global Moderator

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby itsme » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:22 pm

A few remarks.

I have not heared from any change in the moderators crew, although it seems there is one?

Ilan does not show too much interest in broadening the amount of people interested in VSF. Or is there any publicity or the like to promote the sim? The opening screen of VSF shows 2009 as last release. Does not look too up to date to newcomers. And the already mention addons list is another example.

And the manual being better than it was in VS days is far from complete to explain all the tricks possible. Clever guys find their way, but dummies like me?

I am not too confident in the success of your, though welcome, initiative over time. Looser moderation? We will see.
Cheers, Reino.
itsme

Next

Return to VSF Addon Releases