Important Announcement for 3/14/2012

If you have released a new addon for VSF, please announce it here.

Re: Important Announcement for 3/14/2012

Postby Dom » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:10 pm

I must say I do agree with Reino's remarks as well.

Two important things that I extend from Reino's post (at least the way I see them, I don't pretend to express his thoughts) and that add to the previous ones of the 1st page:

1) The lack of broad interest for this sim and the resulting shrinking community is certainly not due to the forum only (although it is a significant part of the explanation) but from the creator himself as well, Ilan (old updates mentionned on the site, commercial approach, lack of support or, more appropriate, lack of consideration for addons developpers who actually add to the sim value, support for models built more than 10 years ago by a modeler and revamped then released by another one, what discredits the copyright rules of the forum, no advertising, lack of frequent contribution in the forum...)

2) I too have a small problem with the term "looser" as far as moderation is concerned. I would have rather said "different" moderation with much more freedom of talks and exchanges on various subjects, even some off topic ones (we must be seen as a community with ties and sentiments, even commercially that's a big plus for the sim' producer), but still resulting in civilized and not brainless posts (yes, i've read the new modified rules).
I think the new team shouldn"t fall into the trap of showing a scapegoat or in witch hunting. Although I do have a very different vision about the way a forum must be moderated in the long term, we must not forget Victor was "engaged" by Ilan and had full power (Ilan said that once, about one year ago) given by him to moderate the way he did because at the begining, let's be honest, some clamping screw was much need because the forum had became a real mess at some point 2 or 3 years ago. So for the short term, some of Victor's actions and moderation were much needed then. The moderation problem came later and yes, that had a significant part in klilling the forum and the community here, as well as in keeping a rather bad fame of the sim elsewhere (yes, it was already the case before, but mostly for different reasons).
Andrew and Sam, if you allow me, make no mistake, moderating an official forum which is dedicated to custommers of a commercial product comming from various horizons, with various backgrounds and ideas or way of thinking is not an easy thing (but I know you don't say the contrary) and at the end of the day, the owner/producer of the commercial product will use you the same way he has used previous moderators (Charlotte, Kevin, Phil, Victor...) and what is good now may become bad later... and then good later again and so on. Ilan or most of the owners/sellers of a commercial product will almost always navigate between conflicting interests and moderators of an official forum of a commercial product are often merely pawns and fuses.

That does not mean that I don't want you to succeed and that I don't want this community to grow in a fair spirit and that I don't want Vehicle Simulator to become more wellknown, sold and successful as well. And I wish you good luck for that, you the moderators, hoping everyone, young or experienced members, X, Y, Victor or me included, will be of help.

Dom.

Formerly known as Dom ...just in case I follow this currently ongoing silly trend of changing one's screen name...
Dom

Postby Andrew » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:17 am

Yes. I understand to the fullest extent. What you have said Dom is partially my drive in order to try and fix things. Its a shot in the dark but it is still worht a try to get this forum back in proper order. We're not going to be "loosey goosey" with the rules. But we are lessening a very hard grip that has been on the forums for quite a long time. It is a very big reason why most of the members have long since been gone.

I do agree with you Dom on the fact that Ilan has not made an update in recent time. But i have recieved email from him saying he is currently developing some new updates, but the process unfortunately is going to take a couple more months before he is ready to make a posted update. But it is proof right there he is still hard at work and it also shows he does still care about the sim.
Were you in the boat when the boat tipped over?
No, silly. I was in the water!
Andrew
Global Moderator

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby Barrelfish » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:36 am

Hi guys

I've been watching this forum for a lot longer than I've been a member, and I can honestly say these developments over the last day or two are really encouraging. I can't disagree with anything that's been said in this thread so far - it's early days yet, but I feel personally that things are moving in the right direction. When I've stopped chuckling over 'loosey goosey' I'll have a go at posting some screenshots to show why I like this sim so much. Andy - is there any chance Ilan might give us a few hints sometime as to what these updates might be?

Dai
Barrelfish

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby DevinRodrigues » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:20 am

Finally!

Andy im so happy you have created this as i remember me an you where both young once with our old Pal Flyboy.... Do you remember him?

Anyway, 1 of the problems has been delt with which I'm sorry but i must claim some credit for it if you know what I'm talking about and I'm happy i spoke about it because if i didn't this post wouldn't be here today or i wouldn't even be here today...

1) The VS Library is a big problem.... How can users enjoy coming here when the VS Library which "Has nothing to do with this forum" deletes every addon a person makes.... See this is one main point i here constantly about this forum when i was away was that moddlers had to be critiqued for everything they did which dont get me wrong is ok i have to say my first ships sucked compared to Doms but at least i was trying.... This forums addon sections used to be filled with numbers of models as a WIP but some do become inactive and when they do they need to be locked by a moderator until the modler confronts a mod about it and they give a significant update on the project... because i know andy it must have killed you to see Murdochs old SS France V4 Topic go or the QE3 or the QV.... So again back to the VS Library the rules of uploading need to be loosened

2) The Posting restrictions need to go automatic turn off for me as soon as i see a restriction on new members they dont feel like they are being treated fairly and they leave often forgetting about the forum going to other forums to share there work and join in, because this is the only forum i know of that doesnt allow a freedom of speech in a so called "Open Topic" Section... i dont know since some people have a childish vendetta against Vstep and the Ship Sim series, well i go to say that at the Ship sim forum we talk about virtual sailor and how much freedom the game shows in making our models the way we like.....Now im not saying lets talk about Shipsim in opentopic it was just an example!

Bottom line is I love this place i wanna see it come back to its hay day when Dom, Huddizzle, Flyboy, Captain Edward, Roaring 40's and Murdoch where constantly online because i loved talking to them on the forum about models we made!
DevinRodrigues
Global Moderator

Postby Andrew » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:59 am

MVEsperanza wrote:Finally!
...i remember me an you where both young once with our old Pal Flyboy.... Do you remember him?

As a matter of fact i do. Hard to believe i was 17 when i first met you Devin, and Derek (flyboy) i still keep in contact with on Facebook from time to time. Yea. those were some good times the 3 of us had together.

1) The VS Library is a big problem.... How can users enjoy coming here when the VS Library which "Has nothing to do with this forum" deletes every addon a person makes.... See this is one main point i here constantly about this forum when i was away was that moddlers had to be critiqued for everything they did which dont get me wrong is ok i have to say my first ships sucked compared to Doms but at least i was trying.... This forums addon sections used to be filled with numbers of models as a WIP but some do become inactive and when they do they need to be locked by a moderator until the modler confronts a mod about it and they give a significant update on the project... because i know andy it must have killed you to see Murdochs old SS France V4 Topic go or the QE3 or the QV.... So again back to the VS Library the rules of uploading need to be loosened

This is a first i have heard about this and i do agree. The VS Library has ALOT if not EVERYTHING to do with the sims. They were, when i first started on here back in 07, the main place for getting VS ships...and quite quickly. Until some restrictions were placed on there recently, even I (who had never had any problems with the Library) could not upload even my decent Queen Anne or Lorraine V2 when i noticed they disappeared. Rest to assure this problem will be dealt with as i am preparing an email to Ilan about it right now.

2) The Posting restrictions need to go automatic turn off for me as soon as i see a restriction on new members they dont feel like they are being treated fairly and they leave often forgetting about the forum going to other forums to share there work and join in, because this is the only forum i know of that doesnt allow a freedom of speech in a so called "Open Topic" Section... i dont know since some people have a childish vendetta against Vstep and the Ship Sim series, well i go to say that at the Ship sim forum we talk about virtual sailor and how much freedom the game shows in making our models the way we like.....Now im not saying lets talk about Shipsim in opentopic it was just an example!

Well, Ilan has granted me and Nemo Administrator rights (most likely for temporarily) as we try to fix the forums and we are going to fix this who New User bullshit with the whole "having to have posts approved" because honestly, im sick of having to read them to approve them. (Its not the people, it just takes extra time to do all this one by one.) So we are going to fix that and many other so called "fixes" that Victor made. I also made a MAJOR adjustment to the rules and guidelines this afternoon and hopefully they will be a start and will show people that they no longer need to be lurking about the forums in darkness. I want to be able to see people discussing ideas and even strong debates (as long as opinions and ideas are respected.) I want to be able to see alot of friendly talk going about in the forums. That is my goal. I am really glad Sam is helping me out with alot of this as we have been talking about this for MANY months....since (i believe) back in October (correct me if i am wrong Sam. :lol: )

Bottom line is I love this place i wanna see it come back to its hay day when Dom, Huddizzle, Flyboy, Captain Edward, Roaring 40's and Murdoch where constantly online because i loved talking to them on the forum about models we made!

Devin, i couldnt agree more...There are alot i miss. Murdoch, of course (i still talk to him quite frequently), Rocco Casucci, Alec, Captain Jammy, Captain Lindemann (i remember him very well....i always nicknamed him "smart ass Captain Lindemann" :lol: ) but i do miss him, and a bunch of others i do miss alot. I dont know if we will ever see the likes of these guys again, but hopefully we can try and see how many of our old salts will come back and see what all me and Sam have (hoped) to accomplish. But as i have said before...it is not going to be solely dependent on us to make all the changes... its going to take every single person on this forum that cares about this forum. With ideas like these, we can most definitely turn this forum around and put it back in its rightful place!

Barrelfish wrote:Hi guys
Andy - is there any chance Ilan might give us a few hints sometime as to what these updates might be?
Dai

Barrelfish...First off...Please call me Andrew :D . I honestly do not know why i picked "Captain Andy" to be my username....I think it was because Andy is what my drunk high school principal used to call me. :lol: I am probably going to change it, but thats how alot of people know me on here.
Secondly, I have no idea what Ilan's updates are or when they will be, but i most certainly can ask him in the next email to him.
Andrew
Global Moderator

Postby DevinRodrigues » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:46 am

Anyway glad to know you will be getting admin rights and if you need it i hope i can be considered as a mod here even though i have been absent for awhile (Not my Fault [How am i supposed to deal with childish adults]) But im always around.....

Anyway anything you need to return this forum to its former glory and if you need and graphics like a forum background or a logo ill be happy to provide one for you guys whatever you need!
DevinRodrigues
Global Moderator

Postby Andrew » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:37 pm

Well, i will be thinking about adding some new moderators, but probably once i get done doing what all needs to be done using adminstrator rights, i will probably go back to being a moderator myself...I do not see a reason for why i should be an administrator when i am perfectly happy with being a mod.
Andrew
Global Moderator

Postby DevinRodrigues » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:25 pm

Well I think you'd be a good Admin Youve been with this place for so long and the admins now dont really do much you and nemo should be admins...

But anyway this New Them Lacks something Ahh yes A Backround Image I shall create a few and andy do you have a momemnt to talk?
DevinRodrigues
Global Moderator

Postby DevinRodrigues » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Illput a logo up here tel me ig you Like It!

Theres one!

Or this one

DevinRodrigues
Global Moderator

Postby DevinRodrigues » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:34 pm

Heres a Possible Background

DevinRodrigues
Global Moderator

PreviousNext