Faults Round Up

If you have ideas for new features in VSF you can post them in here. Please be aware of forum specific guidelines.
Forum rules
Forum rules
- ALLWAYS check here HERE before submitting a new wish (to avoid duplicates)
- Do not post any wishes for vehicles or Scenery in this category!
- Be brief and to the point with the requests .
- Create a new post for each feature and give them appropriate titles.
Please make yourself familiar with these points.

Faults Round Up

Postby Victor » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:11 am

It will be a while before we get the next release of VSF. Now may be a good time to gather up those functions that don't work as requested, as planned etc.The objective being to send a comprehensive list and descriptions to Ilan. e.g improved towing would not be acceptable but a description of what is required to improve towing would be.
This is NOT a new feature list. new feature requests go elsewhere. This is also intended as a discussion topic. There is no need to post "i agree" but if you disagree with a statement, you need to not only state your disagreement but back it up with facts, drawings, screenshots together with the conditions.
it might be a idea as to differentiate between the differnt vehicle types. There is a difference between towing ships, towing a car, towing a plane (on the ground and in the air).

Victor
Victor
Forum Administrator

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: Faults Round Up

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:24 pm

Strobe Lights. (For use on emergency vehicles)

1) Need to be able to switch on and off independenly of other lights.

2) Need to be able to adjust rate of flash, to give the "Urgent" flashing that is observed on police, fire, ambulance vehicles etc.

Bob.
Bob

Postby Sailorjohn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:32 pm

Boat shadows. Moving shadows cast by VSF boats appear on nearby shores...on BOTH sides, upsun and downsun! Seeing a boat shadow on the shore is unrealisitic to begin with; seeing boat-cast shadows both away from, and toward, the sun is absurd. I suggest completely eliminating shadows cast upon land by waterborne boats, retaining them for land and air vehicles only.
Sailorjohn

Postby Victor » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:10 am

Docking.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=3788&p=39191&hilit=docking#p39191

When tied up alongside the vessel should not jump about like a bucking bronco.

Victor
Victor
Forum Administrator

Postby Victor » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:17 am

Mooring Lines

Still on the subject of docking the mooring lines seem to apear from some peculiar places. e.g the middle of the stem and the other end (quai side) is just as bad.
Suggestion : The modeller should be able to configure the mooring lines. Also the user should be able to select a point on the quai to attach is rope.
The docking window allows for putting more tension on the ropes but not to slacken the ropes.

Victor
Victor
Forum Administrator

Postby Dom » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:45 am

- When a bridge has several auto pilot consoles (like on the exploration yacht with one at the captain seat and the other one at the co-pilot one), when using one console and setting a route, the other one should logically and automatically be updated to the same state as the one which has been used, both regarding the buttons and the "AP" letters. Like it is now, if you switch from one seat to the other one, you then don't know if the AP is on or off, unless you manually "update" it yourself.

- Specularity on models should be diminished to avoid the exaggerate shinning effect. Another parameter into the effects.cfg would be nice, but if not possible, then an entire lowering of the specularity would be ok (or perhaps with a cursor into the graphic options tab). Thisis not a "wish list" request, but really something to correct in order to achieve better graphic realism.

- Into the vehicle design tab: in the elements tab, when you select a line for changing a parameter, it is often the line below that is actually selected, sometimes leading to change a wrong value instead of the right one if you don't pay attention.

- Into the design panel tab, when you want to add a new instruments, all the other already existing ones disappear so the placement of the new one becomes nearly impossible since you can no longer see the other ones as visual reference for accurate positioning and scaling. As it is now, you have no other choice than entering the new instruments manually in the panel.cfg (the good old way) and then when the instruments is alrerady into the existing instruments list, you can use the new panel design feature to accurately place it at the right position. Far better than the previous method, but still a one-step-only process would be better if the already existing and positioned instruments wouldn't disappear.

Dom.

Formerly known as Dom ...just in case I follow this currently ongoing silly trend of changing one's screen name...
Dom

Postby Sailorjohn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:58 pm

Waypoints. Option to select 'Reverse Waypoints', so that upon reaching last alphabetical waypoint, vehicle retraces waypoints in reverse order. This would be especially valuable in restricted waterways, where it is otherwise necessary to set a 'double' series of waypoints for AI traffic to return to origin. VSF already provides for collision avoidance by AP, so 2-way traffic on waypoints is possible without interference.
Sailorjohn

Postby Jonatan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:25 am

Vehicles following a road/track should not turn around and run in circles when reversing, but run backwards just as well as forewards. Would enable reverse running with trains and trailers.

Engine.x for boats should have it's own cfg file where the player can set the max speed of the animation. The animation should also reverse direction when engine reverses. Boats imported from VS get their engine animation screwed up so this is a much needed fix.

Blue glow below waterline must be fixed, the water is not visible but the blue glow is. This was fixed in VS and should also be fixed in VSF. Again, my good boats with interiors get messd up.

Land vehicles need to react to collision in the order of mass. A large truck should be able to throw a car out of the way but stops abruptly. This works properly for boats. Land vehicles with higher mass crashing into any smaller vehicle at high speed should also not break. Smaller vehicle should be tossed out of the way.

Roads and tracks should be allowed to be placed on objects as well as terrain in order to allow bridges and roads on piers. The ability to place roads/tracks on bridges over rivers and lakes would expand possible scenery creation. This is a much wanted feature by Jason Simpson.

In later updates, weapons with a damage parameter have no effect.
VSF train expert.
Jonatan

Postby Dom » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Another one I've forgotten in my previous post. When you set an has_deck parameter on into the vehicle.cfg for having a landable deck or helipad on a ship like this:

1 [has_deck]
0 [hide_water] (0 or 1 makes no difference in this case)
8.00 [deck_alt] (setting the deck alt above or under the bridge makes no difference to solve the problem in this case)

...then, with rainy weather set, you'll have rain inside the ship and the bridge. So you cannot have a landable helipad and a bridge (or interior of the model) without rain at the same time, as it should be.
More, on certain types of ships like supply ones or some fishing ones or LCT for instance where a part of the external deck is very low on water (and thus where you want to have the ocean water hidden), you then have to choose between the water being actually hidden under the deck.dds (which the height is determined by the [deck_alt] parameter) with the rain pouring into the bridge, or the contrary when both should be the appropriate thing.

That error happens on any model of ship, from different modelers.

Dom.

Formerly known as Dom ...just in case I follow this currently ongoing silly trend of changing one's screen name...
Dom

Postby kityatyi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:45 pm

I have noticed something but I am unsure if it is really a bug or maybe something with my settings. I departed Crete island and as I get farther and farther from the land, it disappears from eyesight behind me, as it should. The visibility is 17000. After a while, I notice that everything becomes visible, even the shapes of Crete which I already left far, far behind, around 100 kilometers behind me... The visibilty is stil 17000. To test it more, I decreased the visibility to ZERO and in the thick fog, still the distant island of Crete (and all land in the area) was VISIBILE. Weird. I already noticed this yesterday on the way TO Crete when suddenly Crete appeared, however there was still 5 hours until the estimated arrival. But then it disappeared again. This all happened somewhere halfway from Athens to Crete, around sunset. Maybe it has anything to do with the sunset? I don't know. After a while, then the land all disapperas as normal. My question would be why suddenly the distant land becomes visible, even when I set the visibility to the lowest value. If it's a bug, it's worth looking into.
Thanks,
Zsolt
Attachments
visibility.jpg
visibility.jpg (67.13 KiB) Viewed 4799 times
kityatyi

Next

Return to VSF Feature Suggestions