Roads from Google Earth

All tutorials and "how to's" can be posted in this forum.

Roads from Google Earth

Postby Charlotte » Thu May 07, 2009 5:48 pm

With VSF scenery design it is possible to import "paths" from Google Earth to use as roads in VSF. VSF comes with a kml importer so it is just a matter of drawing roads in Google Earth and saving them as a kml file.

First of all, in Google Earth, create a folder named for example "Roads" under "My Places".

Zoom in to the area for which you are creating a scenery so you are able to see the roads. Make sure "Roads" is unticked in the "Layers" group, otherwise you will have yellow roads all over your map.

Drawing the roads
Select the Path button.
Once you have selected this a dialog box will appear with "Untitled Path" as the name. Change this to the file name of the road texture you wish to use, as in this example I want to use road_a.jpg as the texture.
You can change the appearance of the path in the "Style, Color" tab to make it easier to see while drawing.
Start drawing your road while the dialog box is open.

It is a good idea to have longer distance between each point on straight lines and shorter distance in curves. Be careful not to click and drag as this will produce continuous points. If you want to reverse and remove points, simply right-click.
When you are done you can still adjust the red points simply by clicking on them so they turn dark blue and then draging to where you want them.
When everything is as you want it, simply close the dialog box by clicking OK.
Make sure the road_a.jpg ended up in the right place in the My Places group.

Saving the kml
Right-click on the "Roads" folder (or whatever you named it) and select "Save Place As...". Change the file type to "Kml" and save file in your scenery folder. You must save it in the folder where your scenery resides because the importer will read the matrix file when importing.

Importing to VSF
Before you start, make sure you don't already have a file named abs_objects.txt in your scenery folder. The importer will overwrite it if you do.
Open the kml_import program in the tools folder of VSF.
Type in the width you wish to have on your roads and click Import KML
Locate your roads.kml file and open it.
The program will draw the lines in the white area of the window to give you an idea of what it will draw in your scenery. The kml file has now been imported.
In your scenery folder you will now find a file named abs_objects.txt. If you wish to keep this name, simply open your objects.txt and add the following line:
Code: Select all
abs_objects.txt   0   0   0   0   1   1   1

If you rename the abs_objects.txt to something else, like for example abs_roads.txt you should change this line accordingly.
That way VSF will read this file each time it loads objects.txt.

Your roads should now be visible next time you run VSF.

Here's my Oslo project

Feedback is welcome! :)
Charlotte
Charlotte
Site Administrator

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: Roads from Google Earth

Postby matto_mati » Thu May 07, 2009 7:04 pm

It looks amazing Charlotte. The KMZ importer makes one of the most difficult jobs of scenery making, laying down the roads, easy and fun.
I wish more roads are made for by the scenery makers I enjoy a good drive every now and then.
matto_mati

Postby matto_mati » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:10 pm

smad333 wrote:Is it possible to make roads without light posts?

Yes, but you must first create a jpg/dds/bmp image called "dark_roadSOMETHING" instead of SOMETHING you name the road.
And then you just use it instead of the other roads.

Good luck
matto_mati

Postby CaptainMack » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:51 pm

NISSOS CHIOS

Make the road first, then save it as absolute file (Save absolute file) under the Files-tab. Then in the objects.txt-file type:

Code: Select all
// User objects saved in geographic coordinates

abs_myroad.txt       0      0    0   0   1   1   1

Then the road should look OK next time you start Vehicle Simulator. I had this problem myself when I designed roads ;)
CaptainMack

Postby CaptainMack » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:56 pm

Oh BTW (since I'm not able to edit my post)...you can make roads as 3D objects and the vehicle can drive on them. That's a simple solution to your problem when it comes to mountain roads etc.
I also had this issue http://www.jhbrende.com/vsf/road-side-slope.jpg and Ilan already knows about it. The roads are vectors, and they are not made so the terrain aligns with the road. Therefore there will be a slope (one critical side slope) for vehicles that is unrealistic. So hopefully Ilan will do something with this small issue :)
CaptainMack

Postby matto_mati » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:25 pm

Dear paholsky, try the google Earth support forum.
matto_mati

Postby Python » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:49 pm

Salute

Anyone know how to map the roads without drawing them in in google earth I see they will hi-light in google earth but I cannot get them to import over to kml to put in a map anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
Salute
Python
Python

Postby madnewf » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:15 am

hi , i have tried the above method about 40 times different ways and still cant get it to work . it would be a great help in positioning roads , i read the tutorial as well and did everything as it says but when i load it up in Vsf nothing happens , i tried absolute file method , added object first as well but no go .. i made my paths correctly in google earth as well , ??? im stumped
any tips would be great thanks for your time,,,...

outportoutlaw
madnewf

Postby madnewf » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:37 am

hey . i got it to work finally following the tutorial alot of trial and error , too bad it wasn't easier to smooth the land under the road texture , i wonder is there a solution ,in the matrix editor its hard to judge it .anyways thanks for helping,,

outportoutlaw
madnewf

Return to VSF Tutorials