How to create a map using land and depth

All tutorials and "how to's" can be posted in this forum.

How to create a map using land and depth

Postby ron » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:24 pm

I have been creating personal maps for VSF (VS) for quite a while now and I would like to share how to accomplish a map just using free applications and free data, best available commonly.
This tutor uses 2 sources (land, water), Googling for local data might get you better resolution data, the procedure doesn't change though.
Get the tutor here:
http://www.virtual-sailor.nl/Tut_LW.pdf

This tutor will be followed by one on the use of the Matrix Editor to allow you to add beaches etc., dredge channels to known local detail and what have you, later.
Cheers,

Ron
ron

Re: How to create a map using land and depth

Postby Dom » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:48 pm

I value the enormous work to put all of that together.
Besides, I'm sure it will be usefull for some developpers, so thank you for that.

Dom.

Formerly known as Dom ...just in case I follow this currently ongoing silly trend of changing one's screen name...
Dom

Postby itsme » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:46 pm

What a job, we have not seen tuts of that extent and precision here. You may have grey hair now after all the try and error you must have gone through before obtaining this result. Thanks, Ron.
Cheers, Reino.
itsme

Postby Sailorjohn » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:04 am

Bravo Zulu for an incredible piece of work, Ron! Many of us here have tried, and failed, to find a way to combine bathy and DEM without major investment. You have invested a great deal of time and effort on behalf of the community to make it happen. Alfredo recently asked me about merging bathy/DEM; I told him sadly I couldn't help, but suggested you were "da man" with the answers. How right I was!!!
Sailorjohn

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby itsme » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Done it. Going through your excellent tutorial gives an idea how much tests had to be made to achieve this result. Reading all the documentation and help files again and again is already a nightmare. Thanks again Ron. I will now have to make my own. Phuuh..

lapaz.JPG
lapaz.JPG (64.28 KiB) Viewed 5219 times

I see the need for some dredging, hence the need for the matrix editor.
Cheers, Reino.
itsme

Postby ron » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:43 pm

Well done Reino. After a couple of practice runs, leaving all 3 applications open, it is quite quick.

The dredging, yes that has to do with the 1 kilometer resolution of the bathy file, close inshore you'll find that a resolution of 1 kilometer is not always good enough hence the need to dredge. There is much better resolution bathy data available on a local level, like I downloaded all the US estuarine depth data, quite excellent. I'm thinking of doing something for my Suzanne, the shrimper, something like Tampa.

Alfredo had asked me to see what I could do for the La Paz scenery, that's where this started. He is well aware of the progress and so is Ilan (Ilan made some enhancements to the Matrix Editor).

I have dredged the harbour to what Alfredo tells me the port has been dredged to, 10 meters with the use of the Matrix Editor and placed two objects in scenery, this will be the example I will use for the Matrix Editor. See how I have 8.1 meters below the keel? (The map I created using the tutor, shows a depth of 1 meter)
Cheers,

Ron
ron

Postby Hrive » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:05 am

Thanks so much for this; I'm testing it out right now.

Edit: Turns out there's no bathymetry data for Lake Superior, at least that I can find. They've done all the other Lakes, though. :?
Hrive

Postby ron » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi, Lake Superior, let me check because I do remember having a go at the Great Lakes?
Will let you know soon either way (Yes, data or No, bummer).

There is an issue with the general water level not being 0 (sea level), but that could be overcome, I wrote a tutor about that a few years ago using lake Geneva as an example?

Feedback soon...
Cheers,

Ron
ron

Postby ron » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Yup, is possible. I got the land data and bathy data, Googled. Land data is very high resolution (11244 columns), water levels are lower resolution (592 columns), but best available free.

Lake Superior water level is 179 meters above 0, you have got to accomodate for that (lower land values by that amount.
The bathy data I Googled was pure.

Followed the tutor to combine both land and water, here I am sailing Lake Superior...

on the Cruiser:

Here the combined file in MicroDEM, water level at 0 (not 179):
Cheers,

Ron
ron

Postby Hrive » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:12 am

Can you tell me where you got the data? I Googled it and didn't seem to come up with anything. The National Geophysical Data Center, for example, seems to have done all the Lakes BUT Superior.

On the other hand, my computer can't handle that size file anyway; I have the same problems as gxi above. Landserf operations can take a half hour or more--one operation took over an hour so I just closed it. Do you have a way of uploading it to the library or something, just so I can get the .dem or matrix files?

I tried searching the forums for "Lake Geneva," but only got your recent post about it. Am I just missing that, as well? My guess is that you can either lower all the elevations by a certain amount (179m in the case of Superior) or you can raise the water by that much. The good thing about raising the water is that the elevations are still true to life, then.

Finally, another question: is there a way to remove sceneries from the in-game map? I delete the folders in the /scenery folder, but they still show up on the in-game map. Is there another file that has a list of them, somewhere?

Thanks for all the help!
Hrive

Next

Return to VSF Tutorials