Road Tracks (Using Road Images on Track Objects)

Here you may discuss various techniques and post questions concerning scenery development for VSF.

Road Tracks (Using Road Images on Track Objects)

Postby flyingndiving » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:25 am

I just started experimenting with 3D roads. Well, at least with using the track object type with road images rather than train track images. Road tracks work fairly well for getting roadways onto slopes of hills or mountains without have steep lateral inclines.

Here's a typical VSF road. Since roads are flat and follow the terrain contour, it makes for a rather chaotic drive:

Here's with a new road image but named to allow it to be a track (track_xx.jpg) in order to take advantage of elevated sections:

Some things I've picked up along the way:

1) Along with changing the slope angle, changing the angle parameter of a track object also changes the elevation of the road track.
2) The track angle object parameter of the road track should be set higher for roads going around large hills/mountains (~ 1.0-2.0) and smaller for smaller terrain features (~0.2-1.0)
3) Connecting flat roads to road tracks or tracks of varying angle (elevation) will leave elevation gaps in the road surface. Ramp objects will have to be used to connect these sections.
4) Road tracks need to include a shoulder to allow it to render correctly (road surface on top with an embakement on the sides).
5) Don't include the word "road" anywhere in the track object texture filename (example: track_road.jpg). VSF will default to using this as a road, not a track. Strange but true.
6) FInally, I consider this more of a work around fix for roads. It would be great if VSF had a feature to allow roads to calve out the terrain (and to allow tunnels, placed over objects like bridges, and so on).

Besides the above screenies, I took this one of another texture I made which features a gravel shoulder:

Here's the texture:

A typical object parameter using this texture (like in the above screenie) looks like this:

track_md.jpg -66.723671 18.473915 1.5 3.119787 28 1467.814271 0

Feel free to use the texture for your own experimenting. I'm thinking of coming up with several different types with varying embakement textures.

Regards,

Mark
Last edited by flyingndiving on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingndiving

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: Road Tracks (Using Road Images on Track Objects)

Postby Jonatan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:42 am

One thing I noticed ever since "trains" were implemented is the unstability of the vehicle on the track if the track is scaled to represent standard gauge. By the looks of things you have extended the roadbed on both sides so the actual shape is wider while the texture represents the proper width of the road. Adjusting wheels on train vehicles to keep them stable seems impossible as it leans to either side unless it's scaled to be unrealistically large. But interesting experiments here.
VSF train expert.
Jonatan

Postby flyingndiving » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:45 am

Yes, I did exactly that. I scaled the track object and the texture appropriately so the road surface stayed on the "flat" of the track object.

My 9 year old son drove all the way across my Puerto Rico scenery WIP after I changed of all roads to road tracks. Both of us were impressed with the results compared to stock roads!

Another thing of note: On flat terrain, roads don't appear as elevated as they are on hill sides with the aforementioned settings. I like the nice road crown now and also not having vegetation crowd the roadway:

Varying the texture size and object scaling can vary the effect:

flyingndiving

Postby pascal72 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:59 am

Hello Everybody,

Thank you flyingndiving for your texture and this interesting information about Road tracks : I noticed also this problem about roads on hills and slopes.

Your tropical vegetation looks very realistic too : it would be nice if you could agree for sharing some of them (I am working on a french polynesia island).

Cheers
pascal72

Postby itsme » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks f-d for finding out an important improvement.
Cheers, Reino.
itsme

Postby Dom » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:45 pm

I second that, thank you for all your useful work Flyingndiving.

Dom.

Formerly known as Dom ...just in case I follow this currently ongoing silly trend of changing one's screen name...
Dom

Postby flyingndiving » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It's satisfying finding out new ways to make things work in VSF. This was just one of those "I wonder if..." moments.

Pascal, I've got some updates to make to these vegetation textures (making them jpgs and removing some noise). I'll provide them in a zip package later this week along with a d/l link.
flyingndiving

Return to VSF Scenery Development Support