Monkey Island

Are you working on a scenery area for VSF, please post about it here.

Monkey Island

Postby Nemo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:28 am

Hi all,

I'm delving into scenery creation for VSF, and instead of attempting a real location, I'm having a go at a fictional location to get the hang of it. So, essentially, this island will be an experiment (one I hope to release)

EXPERIMENT.jpg

I've spent the last few days creating the land mass, and this is the result so far. I wonder if anyone can recognise the island? (I do hope some of you can)

Soon I hope to start adding objects, like the fort on the western side of the island, the village at the north, and a certain sacred item on the eastern point (name not given, it'll give away the location, I want to see if anyone knows it ;)) I had to omit the crack on the southern part of the island, though. I'm not sure how to go about making it.
Nemo
Global Moderator

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: Experimental Island

Postby danim » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:41 am

edited as my thought was wrong, but I now know what it is but have never heard of it so I am as curious as a monkey
danim

Postby Jonatan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:08 pm

I'm curious as to how you managed to create a VSF scenery from scratch. Did you make it as a VS scenery then import it?
VSF train expert.
Jonatan

Postby Nemo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:50 am

Well Jon, I pretty much built it up in Matrix editor. (that's the short of it)

The process was that I created a map for a real location as per the instructions on the VSF home site (I chose the Caribbean), I then opened the matrix file in Matrix Editor and erased all the islands except for one. I then traced a map outline on paper and hung it over my screen and then I used the tools to make a basic landmass for the island. Once I had the right size (or near about) I made mountains etc, applied textures in VSF. I then had my island :)

I don't know of it's possible, but I'd like to centre in on my island on the map, trim the map to focus on the island and adjust it's latitude and longitude (but I don't know if it is)
Nemo
Global Moderator

Postby shamuboy1 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:04 am

Nemo, this is wonderful! I especially love the small cove over by where all the tall Mountains are. I can imagine dolphins in there jumping around! This is a beautiful Island and I can not wait for you to release it!
shamuboy1

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby Nemo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:26 am

Thanks Shamuboy :) I'm glad you like my island. I want to make this island explorable by foot, so it was to look good up close - especially with trees, plants, and various other things.

I did some more work today on the island (no one knows it yet? apart from Danim?)
I created a depth map (needs a little tinkering), I've made the land-mass texture a higher resolution and more detailed, and I've rebuilt the mountains on the western side of the island. I had to do this because 1) they were too steep, and 2) Herman's fort (a clue there) sits on the northern part of the western mountains on the crest, so I had to flatten off some areas there and make it seem more accessible by foot. I am still debating weather or not to add the large crack/crevice on the souther side of the island. Oh, and I may add a small camp belonging to Herman on the southern beach (along with the banana tree - another clue)

ISLANDNEW1.jpg

ISLANDNEW2.jpg
Nemo
Global Moderator

Postby jaiden123123 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:21 am

is it the island from the movie castaway?
moon whalers wrote: were whalers on the moon, we carry our harpoons, but there are no whales so we sing tall tales of whaling on the moon
jaiden123123

Postby flyingndiving » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:25 am

Ok, I'll take a crack at it....monkey island??
flyingndiving

Postby Nemo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:33 am

flyingndiving, you are absolutely correct! it is (the rather famous) Monkey Island! :)

The object I'll be placing on the eastern side of the island (whose name I omitted earlier) is a giant stone monkey head, surrounded by carved wooden idols, totem poles, and spikes with skulls impaled. Sounds dreadful, 'ey
Nemo
Global Moderator

Re: Monkey Island

Postby shamuboy1 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:12 pm

That's what I thought it was! Wow! It's so beautiful. Amazing work.
shamuboy1

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Next

Return to VSF Scenery WIPs