World Playground Scenery Project V1

Are you working on a scenery area for VSF, please post about it here.

World Playground Scenery Project V1

Postby Duane » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:08 pm

First -- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Hello again -- long time no hear.

It's been over six years since I posted in the old VS forum. A few names in this forum I recognize and a few I don't. I've been busy relocating from Florida to North Carolina and recently took time to explore Ilan's new VSF program.

Over the last few months, I've been creating a "World Playground" scenery project model of the real world for Vehicle Simulator.

The following statement is from my Read Me file within my latest scenery project:

WORLD PLAYGROUND Scenery Project V1 by Duane McCullough -- Read Me 12/2011

Late in 2011, I took time to explore Ilan's new Vehicle Simulator program and created a "World Playground" scenery project model of the real world.

This WORLD PLAYGROUND scenery project for Vehicle Simulator is a "Not To Scale" add-on model for the program.

Located in the North Atlantic of the Vehicle Simulator mapping system, this project is only about 35 nm miles wide -- but it includes all the major islands and some primary rivers of the real world.

The mountains and depts of this scenery project have been scaled to fit the width of a 35 nm mile map -- which translates to several 500 ft mountain tops and some 500 ft deep underwater
canyons.

However, as you can imagine, most detail of the real world had to be sacrificed to model and "squeeze" some popular reference sites into such a small place.

What this scenery model project lacks in fine coastal detail and harbors of the real world, it more than makes up in the incredible realistic water waves and landscape detail that Vehicle Simulator is capable of -- especially the water waves reacting with the atmosphere.

The moonlight views of some tropical coves with 3d palm trees along the shore and underwater plants showing through the water surface reflections are absolutely outstanding.

Another example of landscape detail within this scenery model project is that while viewing from a virtual porch of a North Carolina mountain cabin, one can see the Andes Mountains of South America and even the coast of Africa.

Using the Matrix Map Editor tool that comes with Vehicle Simulator, I "dreged a few world rivers" and, for example, players can now navigate up the Mississippi River from the Gulf of Mexico aboard the cargo ship Barken all the way to the Great Lakes and out the St. Lawrence River to the Atlantic Ocean.

Numerious navigation markers and beacons are placed throughout this scenery model project so that sailors and pilots can travel in all kinds of weather. The scenery also includes many roads between some 30 model bridges and over 30 strategic model airports.

Using the free Anim8or CAD program, I rebuilt a few of my CAD objects from some of my old Virtual Sailor and Micro-Flight scenery projects and placed them into this new scenery model project. Many new model objects were also added such as big bridges, marine lighthouses, pagodas, pyramids and landmark tower sites such as the Eiffele Tower, Seattle's Space-neetle tower, New York's Freedom Tower, and the Washington Monument.

A 35 nm wide virtual map of the world may seem small but can take some time to explore all the interesting objects and islands of the project. Discovering a small campsite on some tropical Island under the stars with a burning firepit and a hammock amoung the palm trees is a virtual experience not to be forgotton anytime soon.

A virtual drive from Ireland to Japan or from New York to Patagonia is possible in this scenery project. Even a train track from Alaska to the Great Lakes region is available for train simulation.

I realize that the Vehicle Simulator program can be serious computer simulator program for designing and testing all kinds of planes, boats, cars and even trains -- but the program comes with a scenery creation tool program that can be used to create virtual 3d dream worlds.

Although capable of real time GPS navigation for real pilots and sailors, Vehicle Simulator is also a great simulator for creating environmental entertainment. I would rather spend time designing beautiful virtual 3d scenery projects than waste time simulating the destruction of objects found in the many expensive and popular nightmarish 3d player shooter games.

The bottom line is that I'm having fun working and playing with with Ilan's Vehicle Simulator program and that apparently others are too.

Duane McCullough
therealmgallery.com

Some Technical Notes about the WORLD PLAYGROUND Scenery Project V1

When driving over bridges, make sure the "land on objects" option in the Vehicle tab is checked.

When flying under bridges, make sure the "land on objects" option in the Vehicle tab is NOT checked.

Because there is no "undo" option in the design objects mode, take care in creating or making changes to the scenery project. If you make a mistake and move an object by accident, just close the program down and start over without saving changes to the object file list.

If you have a very good graphics card, perhaps the best graphics options are the following:

* Set the water view option on reflect/refract and water bitmap on medium.
* Set the Volumetric Clouds to about 80% and lower them to about 600 ft.
* Set the regular and high clouds to very few.

Some objects are from the program data base but most objects were created by myself using the Anim8or program.

A few texture images from the program's default graphics folder have been "enhanced" to appear better in the project -- they are:

sand.jpg
txt001.jpg
txt002.jpg

These textures are found in the WPGV1 folder and can be used to replace the ones in the default Graphics Folder -- but one should be careful in making changes to the default folder without proper backup.

A couple of texture images are based on Alan Winter's texture work -- thank's Alan!

This scenery project was created on a homebuilt computer system with the following specs:

ASUS P7P55 WS Supercomputer Motherboard
ASUS GTX570
8G RAM
HANNS-G 28" monitor

So, let's go take a free recess out in the WORLD PLAYGROUND and have some fun. Here are some images from Version 1 of my new "World Playground" scenery project I just uploaded to the Quality Simulations Add-on Library site.

Please visit my website at: http://web.comporium.net/~smokey62/vswpg.htm to see them.
Last edited by Duane on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duane

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: World Playground Scenery Project V1

Postby Sailorjohn » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:52 pm

"It's a small world after all...!!!" :lol:
Welcome back to the fold, Duane...glad to see you discovered VSF. The possibilities are endless, as you've obviously noticed. BTW, I still enjoy sailing Freya, imported to VSF...I believe she was your boat? Where in NC? Used to live in Atlantic Beach (actually Pine Knoll Shores) when I commanded USCGC Chilula...and more recently bought a little trawler in Oriental, which I later brought up the ICW to Oxford, Md.
Sailorjohn

Postby Duane » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:40 pm

Thank you Deutschmark and Sailorjohn!

The project was supposed to take a couple of weeks but turned into several months because -- well, it's a very big world out there and there is just not enough time for me right now to model everything that would make the scenery project more complete.

I was also concerned that by adding any more objects to the object file it may start dragging the frame rates down.

Although I have a strong graphics system that can handle the frame rates -- other VSF users may not, so version 1 of the project should be enough for now.

I may find time to "smooth-out" some bumpy roads that exist in the scenery project and add a few more objects, but for now, some areas will remain "underdeveloped".

Again, thanks for the complement.

And yes -- the possibilities of VSF are endless!

Freya was my old Skipjack that I spent 14 years living aboard -- now I can virtually sail her anywhere in the world.

Now far from the sea, I live not far from Asheville NC in a county that has more waterfalls anywhere in the continental US -- and I love it! I'ts all about WATER...

Freya's mast were installed in Annapolis and then she sailed down the ICW to the Florida Keys in the late 60's -- a good ship she was.

Anyway, great to hear from you guys and have fun exploring the playground.
Duane

Postby itsme » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:46 am

Long time Duane. Welcome back.
Cheers, Reino.
itsme

Postby Axeonalias » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:47 am

WB, Love those screenies, looking forward to this one!
Axeonalias

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby Duane » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:12 am

Hi Reno and Axeonalias -- glad to be back. Thanks!

Regarding my scenery project, has anybody tried it out yet? How are the frame rates? Any issues?

I was going to place several wind turbines in the project using a new version of the wind vane model, but if the wind was not blowing -- the model would "go crazy" and turn in fast circles. Perhaps Ilan could set the wind vane model to stop moving in less than 2 knots -- then I could create large wind turbines in the next version.

Standing by for feedback...
Duane

Postby Axeonalias » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:32 pm

Would love to, did I miss the link for a download?
Axeonalias

Postby Thor2 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:40 pm

Thor2

Postby Axeonalias » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks Thor, been a while since I had a visit. Will start testing right away
Axeonalias

Postby itsme » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:18 pm

Nicely made and funny to make a trip around the world in less than 80 days. Never crossed the channel so quickly. Fps in the nineties in the middle of the channel without boat.
Cheers, Reino.
itsme

Next

Return to VSF Scenery WIPs