World Playground Scenery Project V1

Are you working on a scenery area for VSF, please post about it here.

Re: World Playground Scenery Project V1

Postby Duane » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:19 pm

Thank you Reno -- and it is funny to travel the world in so little time. It took me about two hours to fly to every airport of the scenery project in a Cessna 152 the other night.

It is good to know the frame rates are good -- the only object models with high detail values that could slow the scene down are the cabin and the stone house which have interiors. Most all
the other objects are shells with low poly count.

I did try to place airport lights like taxiways and landing lights in the project but they kept on "creeping out of place" every time I reloaded the scenery -- so I just eliminated them on all airports.

I also learned that by placing objects in the scenery near sunset time without saving to the object file every couple of minutes is not always a good idea because when the program automatically loads the evening textures and light objects near sunset, your work is lost and you have to start your design session again. So, build during the middle of the day or way after sunset to avoid this problem.

In any case, it was fun creating the project -- I have memories of the process as if I was at a real place and time because of the realistic capabilities of Ilans' program.

Sometimes one can have fun in a virtual world as much as in the real world.
Duane

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby Ferda » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:50 am

Very interesting...

Thanks 8-) Ferda
Ferda

Postby Duane » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:51 am

Thanks Ferda and Clayton,

The first version of this project actually started back over eight years ago when I did a small similar world map project for Virtual Sailor. That project had no objects or trees and a very "chunky" shoreline.

And then last summer I was inspired by a video about a new version of the popular SSX snowboarding program that is due out in 1/20/12 which is based on a 3D global world model -- so I decided to try again and model the world using the new scenery modeling aspects of VSF.

Although the result is still a very small "not to scale" model of the world, the project is big enough for most vehicles of VSF to explore and experience a familiar place that can be entertaining.

Because Ilan's programs are based on an open format, anybody with modeling scenery skills can easily modify this project to fit their own custom version.

One could make larger scale versions of it -- but the reason I scaled it at around 35 NM wide was because that seemed big enough for the time I had to model it.

In any case, I hope some "real scale" people will try it out and have some fun exploring it.
Duane

Postby nissenudel » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:19 am

Thank you for this very nice worldscenery. I have put in some harbors in Sweden and now I would like to sail from one of them to Dover.
Now a question. How do I integrate the downloaded Dover scenery in this world scenery?

Regards
/Nisse Sweden
nissenudel

Postby Duane » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:16 am

Hi Nissenudel -- thank you for your comment.

VSF is designed to insert x-object based objects into scenery projects from the drop-down scenery design menu -- but first you have have all your x-object files inside your working scenery file folder.

In your case, I'm not familiar with the Dover scenery and how the files are arranged, but you can experiment by copying one of the x-object files from the Dover scenery file and place it into the World Playground Scenery folder to see if the file is available from the drop-down menu when you run VSF. If it works then try another file and so on until you get what you want.

Keep in mind that if the Dover scenery folder has "bundled" many objects as one x-file object, this experiment may have problems fitting objects into or onto the shoreline.

Try this -- run the Dover scenery and then go to the drop-down scenery design menu to "see" the available x-objects that are found in the Dover scenery folder. If the x-objects include separate objects like a dock or crane, then perhaps Dover objects can be used in your World Playground Scenery. BTW -- make sure the texture files used by the x-object files are also copied from the Dover scenery folder into the WPG scenery folder.

I hope this helps,
Duane
Duane

Postby Duane » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Repeat post...
Duane

Postby Duane » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:20 am

Hey guys -- long time no see... I have recently found some time to revisit my World Playground Scenery Project and just discovered why many of the roads do not show up in the project that I uploaded over three years ago. This problem showed up on a new computer at another location when I downloaded the scenery project.

Apparently, the "dark_road_a.bmp" file does not exist in the Objects Folder of the scenery project -- nor in the Common Folder of the VSF program, which would allow the roads to show up.

So, the fix would be to copy the "road_a.bmp" file from the Common Folder of the VSF Program and paste it into the WPGV1 Folder of the scenery project -- and then, rename it "dark_road_a.bmp". This fix should make all the roads show up in the scenery project.

Sorry about the mistake -- after over 7,377 downloads from the Quality Simulations Add-on Library -- as of 1/2015, I hope users can better enjoy the project now that there are roads where one can drive road vehicles over many bridges like from Ireland to Japan or from Canada to South America.

Anyway, my apologies again for the mistake and hope that my World Playground Scenery Project will give a place to play with all the vehicles available for Ilan's VSF Program.
Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:05 am

Actually, I found two more bitmap files I have left out of my World Playground Scenery Project that I uploaded over 3 years ago. I mistakenly left them in the program's Common folder when I should have included them in the WPGV1 folder.

One is a dark grey 256 by 256 pixel file named "patch_c.bmp" that is used as a "tarmac" area near some airports -- which can be created in any paint program.

And the other is also a dark grey bitmap file that measures 256 by 64 pixels with 4 large 100% black squares along the bottom edge. Again, if recreated in any paint program, these bitmap files will show up as paved areas and taxi ways near the airports leading to the runways from the hangers.

I hope this helps.
Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:06 am

Hey guys -- heads up about Version 2 of this World Playground Scenery Project I hope to have ready sometime next year. Here are some stats:

Version 1 was about 35 NM wide at 4089 X 1974 pixels with elevation and depths at around 500 feet.

Version 2 is about 92 NM wide at 6000 X 3000 pixels with elevation and depths at around 800 feet.

Version 2 also has many new features such as:

* Much better placement and variety of plants relative to elevation values.

* Map elevation detail as accurately as possible for such a small scale model of Earth in VSF.

* Several new bridge designs for spanning rough terrain and waterways.

* Many new low-poly static objects -- such as unique buildings and vehicles, that can be placed anywhere in the scenery.

Right now I'm designing several new large and future-looking building models that could support landing pads.

These new building and vehicle designs should inspire other VSF designers and players to experiment with new concepts in habitation and transportation projects.

Anyway, again -- heads up for some more fun ahead.

Here is a link to the ongoing project at one of my websites:

http://03a9ef9.netsolhost.com/TRgallery/vswpg2.htm

Duane McCullough
therealmgallery.com

P.S. -- I will start a new thread about Version 2 of the World Playground Scenery Project (WPSPV2) later when I'm ready.
Duane

Postby Duane » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:33 am

Hello guys -- a quick update regarding Version 2 this World Playground Scenery Project can be found here:

http://03a9ef9.netsolhost.com/TRgallery/vswpg2.htm

Duane McCullough
therealmgallery.com
Duane

Previous

Return to VSF Scenery WIPs