Autogen library and upcoming Spain/Portugal scenery

Are you working on a scenery area for VSF, please post about it here.

Autogen library and upcoming Spain/Portugal scenery

Postby jafergon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:33 am

Hi!

I'm finally very close to release the scenery project that I've been working on. As a matter of fact, I did the Nimitz to take a break from this project. For more than year and a half I've been busy creating a large library of autogen objects to populate VSF sceneries. Since the days of Virtual Sailor I've always wanted to sail in a living world populated by sea traffic and moving vehicles. I come from a flight simulators background, so I've adopted many ideas from popular sims like FSX and X-Plane.

My goals were the following:

-Create auto-generated traffic in a quick and easy fashion.
-Having real world populated places located all over the sceneries.
-Creating a library of objects to build a large amount harbors quickly.

To achieve the first goal, I've used Animated "robots". When Ilan introduced robots in VFS I saw a new world of possibilities. Combining the use of robots to represent moving traffic and placing them into the scenery by modifying the txt.bmp file I can put within seconds hundreds of moving boats and ships in a scenery. Each of the sceneries I'm going to release have three terrain textures devoted exclusively to place traffic objects into it. Here you can see how does a small region of one of my sceneries lool in the txt.bmp file. For those not familiar with that file, It's a bitmap contained in each VSF scenery to tell the simulator where to place terrain textures.

This palette explains the use I´ve made of the textures...

Each dot on the sea doesn't mean that there's going to be a boat on it, but there's a high chance there can be one there. The result is that you'll find small recreation and fishing boats sailing near harbors and cargo ships underway at sea. Over this year and a half I've built and textured a large library of ships (108 different models and color variations). This traffic areas are placed using Photoshop. This process only takes a few minutes, since I've already created a set of brushes. I n some areas like harbors and straits I place the traffic manually though.

I'm also using this method to place the urban areas. I'm using data from the European Space Agency Globcover mission to put the urban areas into the txt.bmp so all populated places are included in the scenery. I'ts also a very quick proccess. However that ESA dataset doesn't include any information on the type of urban areas, so I have to do a little research myself an paint manually the diferent types (residential/industrial...) Each urban texture have 3d buldings models as well as light objects and sounds. I've created a library of more than 80 building types and 5 regional texture variations to be used in different parts of the world.

Lastly I've also used this method to place randomly ship/plane wrecks over the scenery (it's a challenge to locate and explore them!)

Up to this point the whole proccess for a scenery standard size scenery doesn't take me more than a 2/3 hours.

For the next step my source of inspiration was the Silent Hunter series. I wanted to create sceneries covering large areas of the world, so the only way I had to make a large amount of harbors was to create modules to be combined for building different harbors. I´ve created a set of 30 harbor modules (some include animated ojects like moving trucks).

You will probaly also notice in the following screens that the augtogen trees are a litte bigger than in most VSF sceneries. I've adopted this technique from Flight Simulator and X-plane. It allows to have a visual impression of high density while with a smaller amount of objects.

So, all this research work and library building has taken more than a year. Recently I completed this first stage and decided it was about time to build my first scenery. Since I live in Spain the best choice was to do the place I know best. In aobut two weeks I'll release a scenery covering entirely Spain and Portugal (Canaries, Balearic, Madeira and Azores included) and some parts of France, Morocco and Algeria. It has dozens of harbors and small marinas, as well as airports. There are hundreds of small boats near the coast and ship traffic. There are also many ship wrecks randomly located... As you may have noticed with the Nimitz, good FPS are a top priority for me, so I´m having good frame rates in the scenery as well...

So far I've been working on this scenery for 3 weeks and hopefully in two more I'll be able to release it. My goal is to release periodicly many sceneries like this one covering many parts of the world!!!

Tomorrow I'll post some videos so I can show you all this in motion!!

P.S. These screens were taken using some small graphic mods I'll release with the scenery...

Ship library...

Night textures...

more...
jafergon

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: Autogen library and upcoming Spain/Portugal scenery

Postby jafergon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:36 am

Algeciras...

Almeria...

jafergon

Postby jafergon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:40 am

Cadiz...

BTW, in all these night shots I'm using Arraialp's new corona texture, I strongly recommend it!!
jafergon

Postby jafergon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:41 am

Cartagena...

jafergon

Postby jafergon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:44 am

Ceuta (this is a new beam 3d model /texture that will also be included in the package)

La Coruña..

jafergon

Postby spookymufu » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:45 am

This looks great but I think it would bring my PC to its knees
spookymufu

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby jafergon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:47 am

Costa del Sol...

El Ferrol...

Galicia...
jafergon

Postby jafergon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:49 am

Gibraltar...

Industrial area in Huelva...

Lisbon

jafergon

Postby jafergon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:52 am

Malaga...

Rota Naval Air Station

jafergon

Postby jafergon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:56 am

River harbor in Seville...

Tangier,Morocco...

Autogen traffic in the Straits of Gibraltar...

Valencia...

jafergon

Next

Return to VSF Scenery WIPs