HD Environment Mod

Are you working on a scenery area for VSF, please post about it here.

Re: HD Environment Mod

Postby Lionelli » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Jafergon did it again!!!
Lionelli

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby spookymufu » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:42 am

looking forward to this very much!
spookymufu

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby TheSoviet » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Can you make a video, i really would like to see this in motion ;)

TheSoviet
TheSoviet

Postby jafergon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:52 am

I'm affraid I don't have much time these days to make a video, so I'm focusing on getting it ready for release this week. However I'll try to make a short video with the release.
Here's a screenshot of the new bow splash texture I have just completed.

jafergon

Postby DevinRodrigues » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:09 am

Great Work
DevinRodrigues
Global Moderator

Postby Dom » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:45 am

jafergon wrote:I'm affraid I don't have much time these days to make a video, so I'm focusing on getting it ready for release this week. However I'll try to make a short video with the release.
Here's a screenshot of the new bow splash texture I have just completed.

Great work in all the screenshots in this topic. I've myself modified water surface, bow splash and smoke about 2 or 3 years ago, although I didn't use so high res textures for water, so in consequence, your water surface is more realistic than mine (and most probably more hardware demanding, but that's not the problem). I had plans to work on a comparable mod pack as well but lack of time hasn't allowed me to do that.
Anyway, that's really good to see someone pushing the visual realism of this sim, the feeling "to be there" and someone turned towards the future and not be pleased with visual criteria of the past!
I like the clouds as well.
In the screenshots of the previous page of this threat, I prefered my bow splash but now I do prefer your most recent one on the above Maury shot.

GREAT work! I look forward to download it and thank you for your time and efforts Javier.

Dom.

Formerly known as Dom ...just in case I follow this currently ongoing silly trend of changing one's screen name...
Dom

Postby jafergon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:51 pm

Thanks Dom and everybody for your comments! I have increased the resolution of almost every texture map used in VSF environment, but I don't get much fps impact on my computer. The biggest impact is on VRAM usage. I have a pretty powerful system and I know users with less powerful computers might have performance issues, so I'll release a standard resolution version.

The only exception is the water normal map, that is exactly the same size of the original one. After some experiments I found that a resolution increase doesn't affect dramatically the look of the sea. The biggest change comes from using different palette values in the normal map. The normal map I have included in the package makes the sea look more complex and increases its Fresnel reflection properties near the horizon and from opposite of sunlight direction, with zero fps impact. These changes will make you use the water bump slider in the config menu in a little bit different fashion from what you are used to. You'll not need any longer to move that slider all the way to the right to get rough looking seas. I'll include some situations with typical weather themes.

The mod is finished and I'm working on the low resolution version so hopefully it will be out by the weekend.

I'm sorry to say that once I have released this mod and a similar update to my Mars project I'm also working on, I'll retire for the time being from making VSF mods due to professional reasons that will consume all my time. These are not my last VSF projects, I'll be back as soon as I can, but won't happen before a long while.

Regards,
Javier

Here are some more screens showing the pre-dawn sky and the realistic size moon and stars textures.

Last edited by jafergon on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jafergon

Postby spookymufu » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:52 am

Javier, could you post a screen shot of your new bow wave while driving a sub?
spookymufu

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby jafergon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:25 am

There you go :)

jafergon

Postby Sailorjohn » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:05 am

Michaelangelo, Da Vinci, and now Javier! True artistry at work!
Sailorjohn

PreviousNext

Return to VSF Scenery WIPs