Would you use a channel in VSF.

Is there a specific scenery area you would really like to sail in? Please post yoru wishes here. Please be very specific as to increase your chances of making the project interesting.

Would you use a channel in VSF.

Postby Thor2 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi,

as already mentioned I am working on a larger scenery project. The territory comprises the western Baltic Sea with some big and several small ports. More about that later.

The area KIEL-channel is a part of my Baltic sea map, just like skaw. It is a very large and interesting task to build this channel, but ....!

Is it interesting for you to have this channel in-game?

Will you go through the whole channel.....without traffic and a working traffic regulation?

a few basics to the channel:

The KIEL-channel is 100 km long, It is the busiest artificial waterway in the world and the shortest connection between the North and Baltic Seas.
to go through it properly takes about 6.5 hrs. at 15 km / h around 8.1 knots,

An average of 250 nautical miles will be saved by using the KIEL-CANAL
instead of the way around Skaw.

The Locks:

Four big locks.

• maximum length: 330 meters
• maximum width : 40 meters

Four small locks.

• maximum length: 125 meters
• maximum width : 22 meters

channel entrance view from a small lock

Maximum ship dimensions

• Length: 235 m
• Width: 32.5 m
• Height (above water level): 40 m
• Draft: 9.5 m

• ten bridges
• thirteen crossing ferries, one transporter bridge
• twelve passing places

let's catch ideas and talk about the opportunities to use this channel. This would be a big help and a good motivation to build this channel.

Regards

Thor
Thor2

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: Would you use a channel in VSF.

Postby Sailorjohn » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Would I use this canal??? Absolutely!!!
I am a retired professional mariner (26 years in US Coast Guard...commanded 3 cutters and one training command...sailed 4 summers as cadet in the 295' barque Eagle...and just celebrated the 50th anniversary of our class of '63 graduation) and I still sail a 33' Nauticat motorsailer in real life. When I navigate in VSF I do so in real time...using real channels, navaids, anchorages, piers, etc just as in real life. Your Travemunde scenery is one of the best, and I very much look forward to the Kiel. while some may view VSF as an arcade game, those of us who made the sea a career know the capabilities of this program when used to accurately replicate the real seagoing environment.
Sailorjohn

Postby Wiik » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:28 am

Of course we would use it and sail in it! :D Will there be any Swedish ports in your upcoming scenery? :)

Wiik
Wiik

Postby Dom » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:14 am

Knowing the extreme quality and realism of your Travemünde scenery and from seeing all the screenshots of your current Baltic project here and there, of course I'd like you to model as many places in the area as possible, Kiel channel included.
I've done Travemünde-Lübeck several times in your scenery and it's a really immersive experience to sail onto the Trave with the land scenery nearby and by keeping a big attention and concentration in the nav, buoys, map and all. That's a nice sailor challenge to sail a cargo ship there.

So yes, I'd love to have this whole Kiel channel modeled, with all the locks and all.
Of course I know it is a big work, but I'd also like to have the whole Elbe river with Hambourg and Cuxahen harbors accurately modeled, including the Kiel channel entrance of course.

Good luck Thorsten and thank you for your work and talent.

Dom.

Formerly known as Dom ...just in case I follow this currently ongoing silly trend of changing one's screen name...
Dom

Postby Victor » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:29 pm

Having sailed the entire length of the Kiel canal in real life, I agree entirely with Dom. Yes please and many thanks in advance.

Victor
Victor
Forum Administrator

Postby serkan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi Thor

Another one great work from you. I can not wait to sail there !..
http://www.3dship.net
Quality Simulations Add-Ons
serkan

Postby Thor2 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:17 pm

Many thanks to all of you,

these comments are a very good motivation. I am particularly pleased about all who see more than just a game in VSF. For me It is a very nice simulator which allows various types of sailing and navigation. I like to sail so realistic as possible. to get a more realistic visual experience and a better feel for the Seafaring is the goal with my work.

[at] Sailor john, this is a very impressive career. In so many years, you have collected a lot experience around seafaring and various types of ships, this explains the good dynamic files. I only know seafaring as free time kaptain with various small yachts. by the way I know the Nauticat 33 which is a very nice sturdy motor sailer, quality made ​​in Finland. I think you can not see them so often in american waters.

[at] Wiik, yes there will be some swedish port's, Malmoe, Trelleborg and some more....!

Yes Dom the Elbe to Hamburg would be really nice, it's also included on the map. Unfortunately, I have to edit the channel and the river elbe manually with the editor because I have very bad geodata from the area, for now I will finish kiel, besides, I'm looking for opportunities to realize the channel. Hamburg will be a good option for later.

many thanks

Regards

Thor
Thor2

Postby Sailorjohn » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Guten tag, Thor

Our Nauticat is 40 years old, but still in excellent shape, all solid teak except for bomb-proof fiberglass hull. Only 2 previous owners in 40 years; original owners kept her for 34 years...and the second owner from whom we bought her had her for 6 years until medical issues forced him to give up sailing. He and his wife were born in Germany prior to WWII...he watched his town bombed as a child, and his father was killed. Later, he went to work for Porsche/Audi/VW first as a mechanic and engineer, later as an executive. He was in pit crew on the Porsche GP racing team. Eventually he moved to Canada, and finally the US. He was exceptionally meticulous about all the engineering and systems on the Nauticat...a real plus for us! As you said, Nauticats are extremely popular in Europe...he said he had always lusted for one, and finally found her! I, too, have always admired them and jumped at the chance. We always seem to draw a crowd when we're working on her!

You may remember that one of your countrymen developed a series of progressively more detailed "Between the Seas" sceneries for VS, culminating in BTW3. They centered on Hamburg, and covered the Kiel canal...and were cutting-edge in their day, with high level of detail. Regretably, they were tile-based, and do not function properly in VSF. We old-timers anxiously await your VSF version!
Sailorjohn

Postby Bartolomeus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:08 am

Hi Thor,

I would really like to see the NOK in VSF. I sailed the channel several times during my service in the German Navy. It is a great and beautiful area. ;)

Marko
Bartolomeus

Return to VSF Scenery Wishlist