Ship spinning upside-down...

General support questions about VSF, like installasion, settings etc. can be posted here. Check that the question has not already been raised, first.

Ship spinning upside-down...

Postby Hudizzle » Wed May 11, 2011 5:27 am

So, I've tried to test my new Titanic in VSF, and I have quite a problem, not experienced with any other ships yet.

When I first add the ship, it begins to sink by the stern and rotate around extremely fast, bobbing around like it's nothing until it bounces to a halt upside down and broken, and sinks.

I really don't know what could be causing this. It was originally from VS, with the same boat config as the old Titanic. I originally tried it with the old config, then a modified config of the Ranger, just to see what happened, then the Ranger config. On the last config, it seemed to happen ever so slightly slower, but it still happened. So if anyone knows what might be wrong, let me know. It would be a shame if I'll never be able to use the new Titanic in VSF.

I have the latest version of VSF, 2.3.5.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

PC Specs:
Processor - AMD Athlon II quad core (64-bit) 3.0Ghz
Graphics - XFX Radeon HD6770 1GB
RAM - 8GB
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Hudizzle

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: Ship spinning upside-down...

Postby Axeonalias » Wed May 11, 2011 6:47 am

Hi Hudizzle,

Ive had the same issue when importing other boats into VSF, its something to do with model the models xyz placing as far as I can make out, other than that im at a loss.
Axeonalias

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby Victor » Wed May 11, 2011 8:23 am

I seem to remember the HMS Belfast had similar problems when imported into VSF. The xyz were thought to be the problem.

The more technically savvy may provide a solution.

Victor

Victor
Forum Administrator

Postby Sailorjohn » Wed May 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Hud, it's almost always the xyz origin. I'm running your prev VS Titanic just fine in VSF, although I do have to tick 'load mesh' to get all of it! But Victor's correct...HMS Belfast just refuses to work in VSF, as do a number of other VS vessels. I assume your y origin is at base of keel, with z,0 approx 1/3 to halfway back from bow (VS preferred 1/3; VSF seems to prefer 1/2, altho 1/3 still seems to work). I have encountered several VS vessels with origin at the bow, that just won't work in VSF. Are you using actual Titanic specs? VSF really demands correct, plausible parameters...you can't 'fake it' as some modellers did in VS, to make it 'feel right'.

When VSF was new, I had similar problems trying to use Jahre Viking...the ship would leap out of the water, and spin around...no matter what parameters I tried to edit. But later updates seemed to better handle large, heavy ships.
Sailorjohn

Postby Hudizzle » Fri May 13, 2011 12:49 am

Problem solved!

It seems the problem might lay within the config. I used the boat config from Dom's S.S. United States (Purely for testing purposes, I wasn't sure what other config to use for a large ship that was also an accurate, well-written one) and it doesn't fly around anymore. Of course I still need the proper parameters, still have to build my own config. That's something I'll need plenty of help on.
But for now, it looks like this Titanic may go into VSF after all. Here's how it looks:

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

PC Specs:
Processor - AMD Athlon II quad core (64-bit) 3.0Ghz
Graphics - XFX Radeon HD6770 1GB
RAM - 8GB
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Hudizzle

Postby DuckiestBoat959 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:13 pm

I deleted and installed the game again.
MS Poseidon used to do this but now it acts normally.
No idea why
DuckiestBoat959

Postby Fearless » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:44 am

If the ship is a conversion from VS7, It might be worth turning on the simple mesh mode under Options/Graphics/Vehicle in VSF. That'll make the ship VS7 compatable
Fearless
Fearless

Return to VSF Support