Alternative to 3DEM?

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
Partan

Alternative to 3DEM?

Post by Partan »

Hello all,

Just got onboard Virtual Sailor NG - don't know how I've missed this one all this time!

Anyway, I'd like to dabble in some scenery creation, but stumbled at the first hurdle. The instruction is to convert DEM data using the tool 3DEM, however I can't get 3DEM to run. I get an error message which, according to the internet, means the software is not compatible with my version of Windows. I've tried various compatibility modes, to no avail.

Is there an alternative to 3DEM for this task?

Any help appreciated!
PASSIONE_TRAGHETTI

Re: Alternative to 3DEM?

Post by PASSIONE_TRAGHETTI »

i don't know but i think no...
Partan

Post by Partan »

Thanks for the reply; I'll keep trying to troubleshoot then, or search for an alternative.
cheers
Partan

Post by Partan »

I got it to work!

For reference, here was my issue, and the solution:

When trying to run the program I got the following error message:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)"

There are numerous fixes for this type of error, and most state it is due to an incompatibility with Windows 10. Some fixes are a bit complicated...
However, I came across one suggested fix to do with resetting your Windows system locale. I then remembered I had changed my system locale to the UK sometime ago when trying to access a pound symbol...I must have forgotten to change back to my actual region. I reset the region (control panel, select 'view by small icon' in the top right, then the region icon becomes visible). Restarted the system and lo and behold 3DEM fired up first attempt!

Now to start learning scenery creation :)
PASSIONE_TRAGHETTI

Post by PASSIONE_TRAGHETTI »

ok thank
madnewf

Post by madnewf »

i know you got it to work but in case someone has other issues the compatibly setting work sometimes in win 10 , run it with win xp service pack 3 and run as admin, i make shortcut for this..
BeverlySimpson

Post by BeverlySimpson »

1.Global Mapper: is a powerful geospatial analysis tool that can be used to convert DEM data into a format that can be used in Virtual Sailor NG. 2.Terrain Bender: This is another tool that can be used to convert DEM data into a format that Virtual Sailor NG supports. Terrain Bender has a simple interface and is easy to install on your computer. 3.SBuilderX: This is a scripting tool for Flight Simulator, but it can be used to create scenery for Virtual Sailor NG. SBuilderX supports the import of DEM data and can convert it to the desired format.
Partan

Post by Partan »

Thanks for the feedback all.
I'm trying to run through Ron Visser's tutorial for merging land and bathymetry data. But I can't seem to get Landserf to install. It's an older .jar file, is it obsolete? Is the method described in the tutorial the only way to get land and bathymetry data merged?

I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks
sultanpoppa

Post by sultanpoppa »

I myself have hit the same wall. There seems to be no way to get Landserf to install.

I'm trying to create Lake Superior with an accurate lake bottom. There doesn't seem to be one out there already (?)

Any other ways to convert a DTM to a .bin file?
madnewf

Post by madnewf »

You can try L3DT it’s free now used to be paid software at one time.