ULCC Seawise Giant (the work continues... for Virtual Sailor NG)

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
TheLonesomeSkipper

ULCC Seawise Giant (the work continues... for Virtual Sailor NG)

Post by TheLonesomeSkipper »

... and so since 2016 I am still working on this giant. She's now got materials, with added rust etc. The textures are almost all baked as of now in Blender.

Her legacy lives on, in my virtual shipyard as the largest ship ever built.
Last edited by TheLonesomeSkipper on Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kind Regards,

TheLonesomeSkipper, AKA prev. "saken"

"I sail the seas of the world... alone and proud."
pbhtankerman

Re: ULCC Jahre Viking (WIP, the work continues...)

Post by pbhtankerman »

Looking really great Captain. She looked quite 'weathered' in her later years. Looking forward to VSF NG!

Any chance of a Beta to try?

Peter
TheLonesomeSkipper

Hi again Peter!

I'm still trying to properly bake the textures onto the hull in Blender, along with the roughness and normals as well. As you know, the materials are just made up of several nodes in Blender, and they haven't been made into textures, yet.

I would really want to get that done first, before I provide an updated beta version of her. If that sounds good, then I'll look into the problem with the textures as soon as I can.
Kind Regards,

TheLonesomeSkipper

And once again I fiddled with my USB's that contains my work, and somehow the work got corrupted. I have not deleted the original blend file with my ship, but I cannot open it either...

If I can muster the energy to re-import the ship from Vehicle Simulator, and continue by re-creating the hull somehow, or simply use a modifier to re-do the hull from the base mesh it was (before adding a "subsurf" modifier) it would work. Those awesome materials are permanently gone though... sadly... So I'll have to re-do them one day as well.

I'm sorry for keeping you all waiting with news, but this is the current situation.

Fair winds to y'all!
Kind Regards,

kityatyi

Post by kityatyi »

Captain Anthony wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:48 pm And once again I fiddled with my USB's that contains my work, and somehow the work got corrupted. I have not deleted the original blend file with my ship, but I cannot open it either...

If I can muster the energy to re-import the ship from Vehicle Simulator, and continue by re-creating the hull somehow, or simply use a modifier to re-do the hull from the base mesh it was (before adding a "subsurf" modifier) it would work. Those awesome materials are permanently gone though... sadly... So I'll have to re-do them one day as well.

I'm sorry for keeping you all waiting with news, but this is the current situation.

Fair winds to y'all!
I am very much looking forward to news about this masterpiece! Please keep us updated!
TheLonesomeSkipper

It is always nice to see some new faces around here! :D I have, as of writing this post, started on a new hull. A hull which I will use the old, already exported hull as a reference. Together with the snapping tool, and the shrinkwrap modifier, I will be able to make it snap to the faces of the old hull.
Kind Regards,

TheLonesomeSkipper

Change of plans... I'm reworking the original hull, imported from the sim, back into Blender. It'll take some time, but I'm getting there.
Kind Regards,

TheLonesomeSkipper

Another update on the recovery & making-the-model-edit-friendly-again progress. The modelling work is mostly done with getting the ship editable again. Then I will recreate the lost materials.
Kind Regards,

TheLonesomeSkipper

She's back!

Another update, and the materials are as good as back!

I've been since yesterday evening and since I woke up today working intensely to get everything back, and it seems to as it paid off in the end.

EDIT: The images have been updated, smokestack's colored now as well.
Attachments
She's back!_compressed.jpg
She's back!_compressed.jpg (30.97 KiB) Viewed 31387 times
She's back!_2_compressed.jpg
She's back!_2_compressed.jpg (80.25 KiB) Viewed 31387 times
Kind Regards,

TheLonesomeSkipper

Dear management.

Now when Virtual Sailor NG (8.0) is out, I'd be grateful if you could move this thread to the Virtual Sailor NG board instead.

Thanks in advance!
Kind Regards,

TheLonesomeSkipper

pbhtankerman wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:03 am Looking really great Captain. She looked quite 'weathered' in her later years. Looking forward to VSF NG!

Any chance of a Beta to try?

Peter
Right now a beta would be quite appropriate I feel. So PM me and I'll put you to the test of Sea Trials with the giant ;)
Kind Regards,

pbhtankerman

Re: ULCC Jahre Viking (the work continues... for Virtual Sailor NG)

Post by pbhtankerman »

Hi Captain

I have not been here for a while. I do have the NG version and the new bow splash is awesome. I do hope you will get this finished soon!

I started a new project in an entirely different medium which I thought might interest you and anybody else interested in this ship. I hope the link will work. It's perfectly safe, I just don't know if you can see the pics without registering (for free).

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ship ... iking.html

Best
Peter
TheLonesomeSkipper

Hello all.

I've been away from modeling on my ship for quite some time now... possibly over a year...

Lately I got sick (a cold, corona or whatever it is...) and also my mentality has gone like a roller coaster. Hopefully one day, I'll get back to the modeling process.

She's alright in my virtual shipyard.

Fair Winds and Stay Safe, all of you.
Kind Regards,

TheLonesomeSkipper

First post of 2023...

I am looking for a way to get the wake of my tanker to show up in-game... kind of hard to explain, but in short, I mean the waves that are formed by the bow, and travels out sideways from the ship and disappears by the stern. In Virtual Sailor NG, it doesn't show up, even with the "Displacement" option ticked. Nothing.
Attachments
No_wake_with_marks.jpg
No_wake_with_marks.jpg (113.63 KiB) Viewed 9380 times
Kind Regards,

TheLonesomeSkipper

I just found out now that they are inside the hull... is there a way to fix this that anybody knows of?
Kind Regards,

serkan

Post by serkan »

The box adjustment that is inside Vehicle->Adjust can solve such issues, you simply
adjust the box to fix the ship and then save it, then when you load it again it will be correct.

TheLonesomeSkipper

Hello Serkan,

Did you lengthen or widen the bounding box?

EDIT: I've tried all kinds of things with the bounding box now... no change. I think it's got to be something in Blender that needs to be adjusted.
Kind Regards,

Post by Guest »

Captain Saken wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:11 am First post of 2023...

I am looking for a way to get the wake of my tanker to show up in-game... kind of hard to explain, but in short, I mean the waves that are formed by the bow, and travels out sideways from the ship and disappears by the stern. In Virtual Sailor NG, it doesn't show up, even with the "Displacement" option ticked. Nothing.
Hello. In order to change the wakes size you need to go into the vehicle.cfg and change the wave_scale to a bigger number. Also change the splash_size accordingly for this size of a vessel.

Hi, and welcome. I have tried doing what you mentioned. Unfortunately, it doesn't change the waves that shows up along the side of the ship. I've e-mailed Ilan about it, we'll see what he says.

Thanks for the tip! 😊👍👌

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:44 pm
Captain Saken wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:11 am First post of 2023...

Hello. In order to change the wakes size you need to go into the vehicle.cfg and change the wave_scale to a bigger number. Also change the splash_size accordingly for this size of a vessel.

Hi, and welcome. I have tried doing what you mentioned. Unfortunately, it doesn't change the waves that shows up along the side of the ship. I've e-mailed Ilan about it, we'll see what he says.

Thanks for the tip! 😊👍👌
One more thing to try is to delete the profile.dds, otherwise only Ilan himself can help!
TheLonesomeSkipper

Kind of complex... but I found a "solution"...

I made a bsplash.dds in Gimp, added a alpha channel and deleted the solid white background, saved it in my tanker's folder, and the bow splash is gone. I did this because the bow splash was way oversized when sailing this giant. However, the bow wave turned out great!

Also, I set the splash threshold and scale to 0. The result can be seen in the screenshot below.
Attachments
Correct_waves.jpg
Correct_waves.jpg (68.98 KiB) Viewed 9330 times
Kind Regards,

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Captain Saken,

I am glad that this solution works for you, you can also use the parameter [wave_scale]
in vehicle.cfg, you can set it to zero and not have to change the dds file directly.

It will be easier this way.

Also in case the position of the bow wave needs to be adjusted, this can be done using the
adjust box function in the Vehicle->Adjust screen.

Thanks,

Ilan
TheLonesomeSkipper

Cheers Ilan! :mrgreen:
Kind Regards,

TheLonesomeSkipper

I'm having plans on actually painting my own hull texture how she looked pre-Jahre Viking years.

The problem is: I believe there is not one single method of doing it, but several...

I basically need to make (or paint...) a ribbon at the bowline, with a star in the middle. The smokestack also had this star, but that's probably just easier to just model a star and then wrap it over the smokestack with Blender's excellent "Shrinkwrap" modifier.

I just wanted some feedback on what method would probably be the best on how to accomplish the "ribbon" at the bow as seen on Auke Visser's webiste about her (http://www.aukevisser.nl/supertankers/id44.htm).

EDIT: I solved the problem with the emblem at the bow. Now onto getting her into Virtual Sailor.
Kind Regards,

TheLonesomeSkipper

Re: ULCC Seawise Giant (the work continues... for Virtual Sailor NG)

I realise I've been very quiet lately... once again, I'm not dead. I've just shelved the project, and my interests have shifted a lot lately. With Ilan's death, it didn't really make me encouraged to continue... it has not really sunk in yet...

This one's for you Ilan 🫡
Attachments
For Ilan.jpg
For Ilan.jpg (103.99 KiB) Viewed 177 times
Kind Regards,