Simulator freeze

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
Altair-RT

Simulator freeze

Post by Altair-RT »

Sometimes the simulator freezes, or ship disappear,I don't know what it depends on, I'm trying to switch from 1920x1080x60 to 1440x900x60 (no full screen) in the opening setting, but when I open it is always as before no change 1920x1080x60. Any suggestions please, to avoid these interruptions, even if I lose quality, I don't know where or how to intervene. It is possible restart all to zero? what have to do:disinstall and reainstall? maybe i make confusion installing to many map over each other.. I dont know.. thank for help.)
kityatyi

Re: Simulator freeze

Post by kityatyi »

It would be helpful to know whether this issue presents itself in the case of one particular ship (model), on one particular scenery (sailing area) or if it's irrelevant of these and happens in a less predictable fashion.

If you experience this with just one boat (or on one scenery), then I would suggest temporarily refraining from the use of these. I found that many scenery add-ons still have issues in the new simulator and several ship models are not fully compatible. Some boats for example have missing elements, rendering certain parts of the boat invisible or transparent. Another issue I bumped into was the boat floating in the air when tested in the new simulator, while it is working correctly in Vehicle Simulator.

If, however, the issue you experience is irrelevant to the model and the sailing area, I am wondering if you have perhaps selected graphics settings that are too high. Have you tested the game with lower graphics settings?

I do not think you need to do anything with the resolution. Select the native resolution of your monitor and leave it like that. I always suggest going fullscreen, that is my choice not only in the case of Ilan's simulators but in most desktop apps I have ever used.

Anyway, keep us updated. I am sure it's just a matter of trial and error. If you find that the issue is limited to any add-on that you use, simply do not use that add-on for now. You can in fact advise us which add-on is the one that gives you the headache, perhaps something can be done to prevent the problems from happening.
Altair-RT

Post by Altair-RT »

OK I wil try I was using Andrea Doria and scenery Italy3 and Corsica..

wich element of setting grafic or other is better make off or to decrease. If I do full screen, VS NG won't open anymore I had to go back to the Microsoft recuperate point to be able to reopen it on not full screen.

Thank for help
Altair-RT

Post by Altair-RT »

MY PC in a WIN 7, ca be this the problem? I have a laptop with Win 10,but it is possible install on laptop or have to pay again?

explain me please..
Graubart

Post by Graubart »

Update your WIN7 NOW!

There is absolutely no reason to continue using WIN7 today. It is no longer supported by anybody and it is no longer maintained, thus unsafe!
Altair-RT

Post by Altair-RT »

Ok.. but have problems to update! I will find a solution.. thanks
kityatyi

Post by kityatyi »

Are you referring to the Ita3 freeware scenery by Appassionati di Mare?

I have tried both Ita1 and Ita3 (made by Appassionati di Mare) but the objects do not seem to appear. I so far could not find a reasonable explanation why these two sceneries don't work properly.

On the other hand, it's definitely time to get rid of the old and outdated operating system.
Altair-RT

Post by Altair-RT »

Yes i was referring this two scenery... I understand the need of change system, but cant now, 84 old man et investing money on game in this time.. is not easy.. but I am a patient man, a old sailor.. thank very much for your precious cooperation and counsel.. sorry for my poor english

Gianni Altair-RT
Altair-RT

Post by Altair-RT »

Could you please suggest me a scenery in which the ports are present and functioning, so I realize my situation of graphic efficiency or its limits?

Thank you

Gianni Altair-RT
Kuemowilli

Post by Kuemowilli »

use szenarie SW, download at vehicle sin, install in vsn and everyone will have nice scenarium and all working fine
Kuemowilli

Post by Kuemowilli »

use szenarie SW, download at vehicle sim, install in vsn and everyone will have nice scenarium and all working fine
Altair-RT

Post by Altair-RT »

Thank you... appreciate!
kityatyi

Post by kityatyi »

Also, I can strongly recommend the below scenery of Greece. It is very performance-friendly, covers a huge area and includes dozens (if not hundreds) of ports. Not all port has the same level of detail, but the majority of them are quite good. Some major ports are missing, such as Corfu, but in general, the most important ones are all there.

You can download it from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12NR_GD ... 6eAkQ/view

I know it's not really Italy, but at least, not too far from it.

There is another Greece scenery I am familiar with, available here (the first one from the top):
http://www.hangsim.com/vehicle-simulator/addons.php

However, this one is slightly more performance-heavy, especially near Athens (Piraeus ) and has fewer ports. You may want to try both sceneries, but keep in mind, you cannot have both of them installed at the same time as they overlap. Try the first one, then remove it from your Scenery folder before you try the other one. When you have decided which of the two Greece sceneries you prefer, copy that one into your Scenery folder and remove the other. What I usually do is create a folder called Storage inside the main Virtual Sailor directory and store any sceneries inside this folder that I don't currently use but still don't want to delete completely. This way, I can simply copy them from this folder into the main Scenery folder. Long story short, if I were you, I would first put both Greece sceneries into this folder, which you can call anything you'd like (I call mine Storage, as I explained above). Once both of these sceneries are inside your Storage folder (which sits in the main Virtual Simulator directory, copy and paste one of the Greece sceneries into the main Scenery folder. Launch the game, check out some ports, have fun. Then, simply delete the scenery from the main Scenery folder (but not from the Storage folder). At this point, copy the other Greece scenery over into the main Scenery folder for testing. After you have tested it, you will surely know which one you prefer. If it was the first one you prefer, then delete the second one from the main scenery folder (again, not from your Storage folder) and copy the first one from the Storage folder into the main scenery folder. If you prefer the second one, just leave it as it is and enjoy.

By the way, what kind of ships do you prefer? Ferries? Bulk carriers? Container ships? Highspeed crafts? I might have something in my virtual marina that you would enjoy. Let me know.

If anything is unclear or you have any questions, let us all know, I am sure someone will be around to help you out.

Ciao!
Altair-RT

Post by Altair-RT »

I will try . I discovered that lowering the sea level, in some scenery , the whole port comes out with complete graphics, before version 8.2 the ports were visible without using this trick. I say this for information, and i try your scenery suggestion thankyou KALIMERA.
For the ship I like small or medium tonnage bulk carriers (portarinfuse).Thankyou.
Altair-RT

Post by Altair-RT »

I used Greece NEw, but I only saw it by lowering the level of the are .. as you can see from the photo. How can I fix the sea level?
If this fails, I resolve to adjust the level at the start and port of arrival.
But I think there is a technical solution!

Hope yu ca see images difference from 1 to 3
Attachments
grecia 3.jpg
grecia 3.jpg (107.39 KiB) Viewed 46967 times
grecia 2.jpg
grecia 2.jpg (100.79 KiB) Viewed 46967 times
Grecia 1.jpg
Grecia 1.jpg (109.34 KiB) Viewed 46967 times
kityatyi

Post by kityatyi »

I believe your water level is set too high. Make sure you set the Mean Water Level option to 0.0 in the Options menu.

What I can also think of is that you have the Dynamic Tide option active (tickbox ticked) and the Tide Amplitude has a value greater than 0 (zero).

Double-check these because they can result in higher water levels that would explain your issue.

I will look around in my virtual library and if I find some ships you might like, I will send them to you.
Altair-RT

Post by Altair-RT »

I'm sure my problem is caused by the way I start a navigation. In fact, I always start from the situation: Empty Scene.

1 Empty scene
2 I load the ship
3 I open the map
4 I choose a scenery
5 I choose the point on a scenery of the map
6 and I move the ship at that point.

I don't know how to choose the scenery before starting the game, when open VS NG it takes me back to "Resume" or "Situations" but I don't find the possibility to start a navigation that I can start from scratch and I feel obliged to choose Empty Scene and I have never checked them sea level ..

At me the Mean water level show 20 at the center.. as I show in picture, and others time show zero 0 in other scenery...it is ok or some wrong? (ALL THIS IS SOLVED) IGNORE ALL UP and PICTURE PLEASE.

This I NEED a solution please.
also I would like to know if possible, by creating a situation how I can align a ship to a dock before starting the maneuvers .. there is a command that allows me to move the ship on the map, arrange it as I please, position it exactly and then save the situation and start the game?

Thanks anyway for the valuable advice and for your patience and future ship now i travel with a Victory a kind of Liberty, or MR.Rhein ship of my age.!
Attachments
Mean Water model.jpg
Mean Water model.jpg (46.27 KiB) Viewed 46956 times
kityatyi

Post by kityatyi »

The way I usually start a session is the following.

1. Launch the sim.
2. Click on Situations.
3. Click on Edit.
4. Using the mouse cursor, zoom in and out of the map on the top right, selecting the sailing area you would like to play on. Then, zoom in on the desired sailing area so that you can see the details (coastline, buoys, ports, etc.)
5. Doubleclick on the spot of the sailing area where you want the scenario to start, this will "teleport" the view symbol to the chosen location.

6. Click Start.

7. The game loads for you a kind of blank scenario. Then, go ahead, click W and then select Get real weather but you can also define your preferred weather conditions as well as the time of day.
8. Finally, click V and choose a boat from the menu that pops up.

Now, the reason why you always end up with a high water level is that you always start an empty scenario from scratch. In other words, if you keep repeating the same protocol without changing the variables, you will always get the same result.

Follow the above practice I outlined, and when you are at the stage when the scenario loads, adjust the water level (set it to zero). You don't need to add any boats now. For now, only create the "standard" conditions that the game will remember the next time you launch it. I suggest turning Dynamic Tide off in the beginning, it is not very important. Once you have unticked the box for Dynamic Tide (you may also set the Tide Amplitude to zero as an added safety measure) and have set the Mean Water Level to zero too, I recommend clicking W - which will open your weather options. Then, create your preferred weather conditions or go for real weather, it is up to you. When these are all done, simply press ESC (escape) and then quit the game.

When you start the next time, you can click on Resume in the main menu. This will continue from where you have left previously. You can modify the weather (or obtain real weather by clicking on the aforementioned Get real weather button), change the time of day, and so on. And you can add a boat. You can customize the scenario as much as you like. If you want to save it, you can do so by moving your mouse towards the top left corner, and select Save from the menu that appears. I never save any scenario, I rather create a new one, it takes only a few seconds.

As for aligning the ship with the dock, it takes patience. When you have a boat in the scenario, launch the map using the M key. On the map, you will find the MOV SL button. Click on it, which will allow you to move your boat (or your waypoints) on the map screen. Again, it is important: on the map screen. Click on the boat you want to position (on the map screen) and while you keep your left mouse button clicked, you can move the boat anywhere on the map. It will move in the virtual world as well. This way, you can place it really close to the docks (or anything). If you want to make fine, small movements, when you are close to the dock, make sure you zoom in very close (on the map, of course).

If you want to adjust the direction, click V and then click on the Adjust tab. There, you can change the heading of the boat. Aligning the vessel precisely with the dock requires patience. I sometimes place the boat close to the dock using the above method, set the desired heading, but I then fine-tune it by using the engine and the docking panel (D key) which allows for precise docking. You can click on the Connect button on this panel to connect a docking point and then tighten or release the line using the + and - buttons. This way you can achieve perfect docking. Practice, and eventually, you will master it. It is a good idea to reduce any wind and waves until you move finished securing your boat because the wind and the waves will make it more difficult. Once you are happy, you can re-introduce them.

One final important thing: when you finished using the MOV SL function on the map, do not forget to deactivate it. If you forget to switch it off (you can see when the function is active when its colour is yellow), you can accidentally click on it during gameplay and unintentionally reposition your boat, which is very annoying. So, long story short: turn it on, move the boat (or the waypoints, as this is how you reposition your waypoints too), and when you are done with moving, turn the function off.

Let me know how it went.
Last edited by kityatyi on Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Altair-RT

Post by Altair-RT »

Wow Thank you,,, this can be a manual , a tutorial for all new VS NG sailor thank, very appreciate

Gianni
kityatyi

Post by kityatyi »

You are welcome!
Altair-RT

Post by Altair-RT »

Now I travel very well your suggestion, the upgrade 8.3.. all is fantastic...
and I take advantage of you.. you can teach me how put permanet traffic in some scenery?
Or temporary traffic...?